iPhone 6 Panorama pictures are insanely choppy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phobos, Oct 2, 2014.

1. phobos macrumors regular

Any of you guys noticed some really bad stitching with the panorama pictures of iPhone 6? I was shocked when I saw the results especially because I have samples of my iPhone 4s panoramas. And these ones are just great.
    With the iPhone 6 there's a lot of stepping involved.
    If you guys can quickly test out how it looks that would be great!
    Thanks
    D.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

3. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

I'll post some pictures when I get back home.
    I also tried it with another iPhone 6 and still get the same results.

4. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

So it seems I've stumbled on a bug or something because while I was trying again the panorama feature I've noticed that the arrow doesn't go up and down at all. It looks like it's stuck. And I'm getting more and more convinced that this is the problem of the issue.
    Tried the accelerometer with a game (tilt to live) and everything seems to work fine there so I'm guessing it's a software related issue?
    Have a look at the video and some details of the panorama. The results are absolutely atrocious.

http://youtu.be/zcSCDSis-UU

As I mentioned above I've also tested with another iPhone and the panoramas were choppy as well. I haven't checked if the arrow was moving on that phone because I've noticed this just now but I'm wondering if this is an isolated issue or if every iPhone is affected.

5. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Just tried mine a few times, no chop, arrows work fine. Hope you figure it out and get it working right.

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

The arrow doesn't move until you've started taking the pano. This doesn't mean you don't have a problem, but the first part of your video doesn't show anything working incorrectly.

7. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

Yep you're right the movement starts after starting the shot.
    Damn so it looks like it's a hardware problem after all

8. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

Even though it seems that not everyone is affected, there are devices out there that have the exact same problem. I'm at the airport now about to leave for vacation (yeah!) and I just checked an iPhone 6 to see if it will exhibit the same problem. And It sure does!
    So to my count 3 iPhones out of the 3 I checked exhibit this problem.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This thread really needs a photo. I tried mine for the first time and not sure if I have what you have. Unfortunately, it's hard to say what your issue is with no pic.

10. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

iPhone 6 Panorama pictures are insanely choppy

I just tried a couple and I messed one up by not following the line enough. Bad stitching.

Then I tried again and made the arrow follow the line better and the result is perfect.

But that's the way it had always worked.

The difference that I noticed is how much better the photos are when I do it right and how much faster the phone completes the picture.

My guess is that either your hand is too shaky or there are bad batches of iPhone 6 out there.

Let other people try doing it with the same phones and see what happens.

11. phobos, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

phobos thread starter macrumors regular

At the end of the video you will see two examples of the bad stitching. As you will see it's really bad!
    No matter how careful I am I can get really good results with the 4s. But with 6 there's no way I can get good stitching

I agree with you anti protest. I guess I have to wait for more people to get their hand on the phone and test it. I'll try to upload some new pictures independent from the video as soon as I get back home.

Edit: couldn't wait so I will upload some pictures from the airport. This is from a 100% crop

Attached Files:

12. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Iphone paronames are meant to be a curve but not half a circle

13. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I wonder if OIS in the iPhone 6+ helps with this, can we post more sample panos?

14. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

I have several pictures from iPhone 4s where the stitching is impeccable. I don't think I can post them here because the size will be too big. Any good hosting providers for image links anyone?

15. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

imageshack.us

16. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Abload.de

It allows fast uploading of images without the compression of images hack or imgur

17. deviant macrumors 65816

That's because you are just shaking your phone instead of doing the panorama the right way, slowly moving from left to right. This is just a photo, it's not a pano. Same thing you were doing in the video, just shaking the phone.

18. phobos, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

phobos thread starter macrumors regular

What I posted here is obviously just a crop of the panorama showing one of the problematic areas. Will try to upload the whole image with one of the services mentioned above

Edit: here's the whole image from the crop above:
    Hope the link works...
    http://abload.de/image.php?img=imageinjm6.jpg
    Found another from a few days ago. Excuse the questionable decoration...
    As you will see the stitching in several areas is problematic. Near the fridge, near the sink, at the window in the room inside and so on
    http://abload.de/image.php?img=imagedpk5v.jpg

19. deviant macrumors 65816

This one is better. But goddamn that iPad position! SCARY!
    Well, you are completely sure your hands weren't shaking and you weren't doing it too fast? If so, try asking for an exchange, although i'd wait a little for a software fix.

20. phobos thread starter macrumors regular

Hehe. This is where I put the iPad when I'm doing the dishes. I need some distraction! Hehehe

As for the panoramas yep I was being careful when taking the pictures. I must say probably more careful than I ever was with the 4s.
    I think I will wait for a software fix because so far all the European phones I've seen (which are not enough) give the exact same result.

21. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Just tried with iphone 6, same "rough/jaggedy" edges. Anyone have a 6 that can take a good pano?

22. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

[​IMG]

Just took a quick one. Looks good to me. No grains.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All right. I tried two panos. One where I sat in my office chair and held the phone basically against me and spun slowly. The other I stood up and did the same. The one where I stood was choppy whereas the other was not nearly as much, if at all choppy. What I think this boils down to is the pano feature is far less forgiving than it was on my 4S. That is what I also moved from. I can't show examples yet because I captured work info, but I will go outside and try it. I can't sit in an office chair and spin each time I want to take a pano though. :)

24. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Is it because you're doing a pano of everything some what close by? Try doing a landscape or an area open with no ceiling near by or a high ceiling.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Outside worked better but it was leaves and trees. I want to do a pano I've done before on my 4S and see. I never had an issue with up close or inside so I'm not sure what that could be.