iPhone 6 Plus being the new flagship?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwall, Sep 9, 2014.

1. jwall macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2012
    I honestly do not understand why Apple decided to make the 6 plus their flagship device. Being someone who prefers the smaller size of the iPhone 6, it is really disappointing that it does not have the ppi, OIS, and battery life of the 6 plus. Being an iPhone enthusiast it is really disappointing that apple is putting those of us who like the slightly smaller screen & better specs in a compromising position. Even if they had bumped the price of the 6 to 249 (16 gig on 2 yr contract) to include the specs of the 6 plus I would have been perfectly happy to buy it. I have played with some of the phablets (like the galaxy note 4) and do not like the size, but I do want the specs of the 6 plus so now I am not sure which iPhone to get. What do you guys think about Apples decision to make the 6 plus their flagship?
  2. lienhart macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2013
    Completely agree. I was dead-set on 4.7, but now I just don't know because I want all the features iPhone has to offer. It's hard to pick... I don't even mind the price bump it's just I don't want a phone that's that big.
  3. jwall thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2012
    Yea now its a pretty tough decision. I honestly wish apple compromised and just released 1 5 inch flagship instead of 2 sizes that are significantly different..
  4. Izauze macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2013
    Aside from screen size, it's really not that different.

The camera is the biggest upgrade. The battery is really just barely big enough that you can't knock it for being less than the 6. For all screen-based uses, you get like 1 hour more - whoopdedoo.
  5. yep-sure macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think the landscape features, which are only in the 6+ are important to mention, at least for me.
  6. iososx macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2014
    Apple is wise to make the 5.5 their flagship.

However there's one very noticeable shortcoming that Android bashing iPhone lovers are ignoring in an effort to not be embarrassed.

This iPhone has a smaller display, but it's housed in a larger heavier chassis, making the iPhone 6 Plus quite the monster, as compared to the sleek Samsung Note 3 with its 5.7" display.

Yet this is just an example of Apples well known hypocrisy. Nothing out of the ordinary for them.

The iP6+ is a good solid phone for Apples first effort.
  7. bigcat macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2008
    The "flagship" features you talk about are only possible because it is a physically larger piece of equipment, so it can take a physically larger battery and so forth. If you want the benefits of the larger device then buy the larger device. If you want the smaller device, then live with its "limitations"?
  8. bobright macrumors 601

Jun 29, 2010
    I hope not what are we going base model from here on and bigger and BIGGER?:eek::apple:
  9. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Sep 6, 2012
    Like it or not, 5.5" will soon be the norm, and 4.7" screens will look super tiny, like how people currently view the small 4" screen on the iPhone 5.

Next year, most Android flagships will be 5.5". Today the new crop of Android's are already 5.5" like the LG G3, OnePlus One, the new Note 4 is 5.7". The next Nexus 6 coming in October is rumored to be large screen.

Point is, in a year or so, 5.5" smartphones will be common place and considered standard size.
  10. jwall thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2012
    Cant say I agree with this. The average iPhone user (not us fanatics on this website) in my opinion will be turned off from the size of the 6 plus. I think its a bad move on apples part to make customers compromise on portability or specs.
  11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
    Perhaps, based on Apple's research, there is a bigger market for the 6+ over the 6. Apple will cater to this market share because it will bring in more revenue.
  12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Sep 7, 2010
    I doubt it. I think the so-called "phablets" will continue to be something of a niche market. I anticipate the 6 being more popular than the 6+, as many people see phones larger than about 5" to be too large.

the 6+ may be the considered the flagship because it has more features, but I really think that the 6 will be the more mainstream device.