iPhone 6 Plus defective camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulwmather, Oct 2, 2014.

1. paulwmather macrumors newbie

I've been incredibly happy with the camera on my plus, then this evening when taking a photo at the beach, I noticed a strange green light shining on the rock, it was on my screen and also come out in the photo.

Later that evening I went to take a photo of the moon and noticed 4 green lights on the screen. They move as I pan.

I recorded a video and the video shows the issue. I tried my partners 6 plus and his phone had the exact same issue.

I posted this to apple forums and the two guys who responded said this is perfectly normal and expected. I've never had this issue on a camera phone I've owned before.

I can't see how to upload a photo, so I'll just share the videos here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ve0ga9lczlm6g4/Video 02-10-2014 20 10 48.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0g38qbkuoji23n/Video 02-10-2014 20 58 54.mov?dl=0

Edit: here's a photo. https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc804ch814v38fu/Photo 02-10-2014 20 53 50.png?dl=0

2. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Ooops ... seems like someone has to pay a little visit to an Apple Store and get a new phone ... :confused:

3. paulwmather thread starter macrumors newbie

My partners 6 plus and my brothers 6 do it too.

I thought it might just be an issue with a batch of 6 plus, but I've just grabbed my brothers to test and it has the exact same problem.

This really isn't good. Can you guys check yours please. It happens in low light when there are street lamps or moonlight or similar.

4. FireCapt macrumors regular

FireCapt

Just checked mine with a short Video, no issue here. I would take that back to apple store with the quickness. they either fix ot give you a new one.

:apple:

5. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

This !

6. paulwmather thread starter macrumors newbie

Weird. I will take it back asap.

Though all 3 of us are gonna have to take our phones back as all 3 have the same issue.

It only happens in dark with certain lights. Very strange but as it's happened to me 3 times in a day, I guess it's something that's gonna bother me considerably.

7. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I had something similar when filming a singer on a dark stage with colored lights in the room. I just figured one of the lights was creating the effect and daylight filming wouldn't be an issue.

:apple:

8. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

If I may suggest, you guys better go in three different Apple Stores or just don't go there together ...

9. Jman13 macrumors 68000

It just sounds like lens flare. It happens, even with expensive optics.

10. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

No, not lens flare.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do not be foolish and return your device. These are internal lens reflections or lens flare as someone else called it. It is very common and even DSLR lenses will do it under extreme conditions.

It is normal when you have a very bright light surrounded by darkness. Modern lenses have light baffles, painted black to help control the internal reflections.

So much misinformatio here. :confused:

12. paulwmather thread starter macrumors newbie

You say misinformation but you're also making certain presumptions.

The photo with the Rock was taken at around 4:45pm and the sun was still high in the Sky. Still an odd green dot. This was by no means an extreme condition.

The iPhone 4s, 5 nor 5s had this issue. I've also not seen the issue on competitors camera phones either. Also tested with my iPad retina mini.

I also own a galaxy camera and I cannot reproduce it even slightly.

So it's normal, yet unproducable on any other device I own?

So maybe it's normal for the iPhone 6, but no other device I do or have owned.

This looks nothing like lense flare to me.

----------

Here's another example. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ve0ga9lczlm6g4/Video 02-10-2014 20 10 48.mov?dl=0

The light really isn't that low. I could have taken a perfectly good photo on any other top end camera phone. This green dot or sometimes several are on 50% of photos I've taken today.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Looks like an orb to me. Sure the beach wasn't haunted?

14. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Man these camera issues in the 6 are weird. First blurriness and smudginess and now these magic floating orbs.

Strange stuff. I hope this isn't widespread.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Ok, take it back. Everyone has a right to make a fool of themselves.

16. paulwmather thread starter macrumors newbie

If make a fool of myself because almost every photo I take has multiple green orbs floating around? Did you see the second video? Literally 100% unusable for any purpose. There are literally 3 big green light defects all over the video. How is that normal? Especially when the 5s nor any other device has the issues?

Apple users tend to be fussy, like me, or believe everything is a non issue. I'm afraid green orbs floating around almost all my videos and photos is an issue.

Especially as I've taken about 100,000 photos this year with probably 15 different devices and only the iPhone 6 has had this issue. That isnt therefore normal.

I am fairly confident the Note 4 will not have this issue either.

17. seinman macrumors regular

It IS lens flare. Whether or not Apple considers it normal, I don't know. But I was able to re-create it on my iPhone 6 and the spots behave exactly as you would expect lens flare to behave.

18. paulwmather thread starter macrumors newbie

Big shame imo. I use my camera a lot and often in fairly low light.

What amazes me, is this entire bendgate saga going viral and it affected very few people, yet this will effect most people who take photos in any level of low light and I bet it won't get any attention.

I purchased the 6 largely for improved camera. As the 5s didn't have the issue, in some respects this is a downgrade.

I guess it's pointless swapping it, as this appears to be an issue with the 6 and 6 plus in general. So I guess I need to figure out whether I want to keep it or get a refund.

19. paulwmather thread starter macrumors newbie

Just spoke to a friend who's a pro photographer. He said it is lense flare but isn't really acceptable under those conditions and to that degree.

He's gone to test his phone out now. I am guessing he'll be able to replicate it.

20. davew41 macrumors member

This is a Camera SENSOR ISSUE, take it back this is not normal..

21. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

No. This is 100% lens flare.

22. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

Yep - that's the iPhone lens flare. Seen it many times myself, and there have been other threads pointing it out.

23. paulwmather thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this iphone 6 or earlier iPhones?

How do you guys feel about it?

24. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

I haven't done testing, but it seems like it's easier to get the lens flare on the 6 than on the previous models. Or perhaps it's just brighter and more apparent.

How do I feel about it... well, I consider the iPhone cam, as good as it is, a mid-range point and shoot camera. So the lens flare doesn't bother me; I'll just adjust my shooting angle so it isn't there, remove it in post, or I'll deal with it in the shot and enjoy it regardless. Like all cameras, it's only as good as the operator and you can take great pictures with it. That said, it won't (and neither did the 5's or 4's or etc.) replace my DSLR for going to attractions, vacations, etc. where photos 'matter' to me. I'm happy to be 'that guy' with the camera bag :p

But I love the convenience of the iPhone cam, it's always on me, and that's half the battle of finding / taking great pics - being at the right place at the right time with your camera!

25. bluer101 macrumors regular

Just to help out the OP.

I just took out my wife's and my ip 6+'s and both do it to. You don't need to even take a photo or video. Just open the camera app and look at a street light and move around.

Then I took our old ip 5's, guess what same thing. Then my sons 5c, yep same thing. I tried an old 3gs, too grainy to see anything with that at night.:D