iphone 6 plus keyboard and password glitch still alive in 8.0.2

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Whenever I use swfitkey and start entering login information it will change to the Apple default key as soon as I enter in password field. After multiple restores I still have the same issue. WTF, I thought Apple fixed this problem? I feel like Apple is forcing me to use their crappy swiftkey clone over the real deal. Anybody still experiencing this?

Last edited:

edlex

macrumors 68000
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I thought it was a safety measure with passwords since swift records user info

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I thought it was a safety measure with passwords since swift records user info
Bug fixes
Includes all bug fixes and updates originally included in 8.0.1

Fixes an issue in iOS 8.0.1 that impacted cellular network connectivity and Touch ID on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. [58]
Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store.
Addresses an issue where 3rd party keyboards could become deselected when a user enters their passcode.
Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from accessing photos from the Photo Library.
Improves the reliability of the Reachability feature on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
Fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages.
Better support of Ask To Buy for Family Sharing for In-App Purchases.
Fixes an issue where ringtones were sometimes not restored from iCloud backups.
Fixes a bug that prevented uploading photos and videos from Safari.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
The keyboard changes to the apple one so the password locker can be used. Think the wording is wrong in the update notes.

edlex

macrumors 68000
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Bug fixes
Includes all bug fixes and updates originally included in 8.0.1

Fixes an issue in iOS 8.0.1 that impacted cellular network connectivity and Touch ID on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. [58]
Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store.
Addresses an issue where 3rd party keyboards could become deselected when a user enters their passcode.
Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from accessing photos from the Photo Library.
Improves the reliability of the Reachability feature on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
Fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages.
Better support of Ask To Buy for Family Sharing for In-App Purchases.
Fixes an issue where ringtones were sometimes not restored from iCloud backups.
Fixes a bug that prevented uploading photos and videos from Safari.
I think what it means by "deselected" is after you would input a password with the Apple keyboard it would make that keyboard the default eliminating your prior choice. Now after I put in a password it still has Swype as my default keyboard when I use it for something else.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
This is deliberate - for any secure input fields like a password input box, the keyboard will always be the built-in Apple one for security reasons

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
This is deliberate - for any secure input fields like a password input box, the keyboard will always be the built-in Apple one for security reasons
thats stupid, my note 2 never switched keyboards... pure crap

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Yes but Apple are much more concerned with security than Samsung are.

If you go and find the Apple developer notes for third party keyboards you'll find an explanation there.

----------

Here you go, straight from Apple's developer documentation.

There are certain text input objects that your custom keyboard is not eligible to type into. First is any secure text input object. Such an object is defined by its secureTextEntry property being set to YES and is distinguished by presenting typed characters as dots.

When a user taps in a secure text input object, the system temporarily replaces your custom keyboard with the system keyboard. When the user then taps in a nonsecure text input object, your keyboard automatically resumes.

----------

https://developer.apple.com/library...eral/Conceptual/ExtensibilityPG/Keyboard.html

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Yes but Apple are much more concerned with security than Samsung are.

If you go and find the Apple developer notes for third party keyboards you'll find an explanation there.

----------

Here you go, straight from Apple's developer documentation.

There are certain text input objects that your custom keyboard is not eligible to type into. First is any secure text input object. Such an object is defined by its secureTextEntry property being set to YES and is distinguished by presenting typed characters as dots.

When a user taps in a secure text input object, the system temporarily replaces your custom keyboard with the system keyboard. When the user then taps in a nonsecure text input object, your keyboard automatically resumes.

----------

https://developer.apple.com/library...eral/Conceptual/ExtensibilityPG/Keyboard.html

good find, still an inconvenience

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
looks like im just going to use Apple's keyboard, scum bag way Apple, not everybody wants to use your crappy apps. So Apple hinders third party apps, making them cumbersome to use.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Forget that it doesn't work on purpose in some instances...

The 3rd party keyboards are still very buggy in 8.0.2, or at least Fleksy is, which was my favorite by far. I re-installed it after 8.0.2 and just last night, I tried to do a Spotlight search and nothing, it was as if the keyboard popped up but there were no keys displayed, just a gray area. I couldn't even go to the Apple keyboard since there was no little globe or anything to press to switch. Had to uninstall the app and then the Apple keyboard worked again.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
What the update is referring to is sometimes the third-party keyboard would become unselected after using your passcode to unlock your phone (ie waking it from sleep). Unfortunately, it's still happening in 8.0.2. Still needs work.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Been typing with the default keyboard for a week now, sucks the third party keyboards are crippled on this phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.