Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C8XY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2008
This is really annoying, when I turn my iPhone to landscape after unlocking the device the screen completely ignores touch input, it's also slow to recognise I've turned the phone to landscape - sometimes I'll get a black screen and the phone will ignore it's landscape position altogether!?
It will also do this more frequently in apps that have the keyboard, I've disabled 3rd party keyboards to try and solve it but no luck.

The only issues I've had with this phone are purely software related, it's a great device and apple get it right every year, but the OS hasn't been right since 7.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I had a similar issue with my iPhone 6 where it stopped rotating even though rotation lock was not enabled.

Turns out it was a glitchy install as on advice of an Apple rep I reinstalled then restored and all has been fine since. I suggest you try the same.

C8XY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I had a similar issue with my iPhone 6 where it stopped rotating even though rotation lock was not enabled.

Turns out it was a glitchy install as on advice of an Apple rep I reinstalled then restored and all has been fine since. I suggest you try the same.

I did restore from a backup, perhaps you're right

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The other day my 6 Plus UI was upside down. I could get it to go landscape in both orientations, but not so that the home button was down. It was so weird! I had to reboot to fix it.

C8XY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2008
The other day my 6 Plus UI was upside down. I could get it to go landscape in both orientations, but not so that the home button was down. It was so weird! I had to reboot to fix it.

Mine works upside down, at least the springboard does anyway. Havn't seen that since the old days lol

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I have a 6+ and I also get some weird orientation bugs every once in awhile.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Mine works upside down, at least the springboard does anyway. Havn't seen that since the old days lol

Yeah it works upside down. The problem is that it DIDN'T work right side up.

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Same here on a 6. Yesterdya, it simlpy wouldn't go into landscape mode when I rotated the phone.
Had to reboot to get it working again.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I just wanted to let you guys know it's not only happening on the iPhone 6. My 5S has been getting stuck in landscape mode as well. They have a lot of work to do with his 8. I find the wifi drop to be most annoying though.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Another 6+ user experiencing the same thing. It's pretty annoying as it seems to happen 4 or 5 times a day and almost always when I am trying to respond to a text.

versifiercsvt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Another 6+ user experiencing the same thing. It's pretty annoying as it seems to happen 4 or 5 times a day and almost always when I am trying to respond to a text.

@ rihpjr Same here on my iPhone 6. Haven't noticed the issue in Safari or the Mail app. Only in test messaging for me. I'm on 8.0.2 and the issue is still there -- unresponsive screen in landscape mode, but app is not really frozen. Have you any luck since posting this?

saldawop

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2007
Have only had my 6+ since this morning. Have had it stuck in landscape mode once, and upside down three times. Of course if this was an android device we would all point and laugh at how crappy the software/hardware is. Luckily it is iOS so it's not really a problem and I'm sure Apple will fix it really quickly so not even worth mentioning.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
@ rihpjr Same here on my iPhone 6. Haven't noticed the issue in Safari or the Mail app. Only in test messaging for me. I'm on 8.0.2 and the issue is still there -- unresponsive screen in landscape mode, but app is not really frozen. Have you any luck since posting this?

No luck. Was hoping the upgrade to 8.0.2 would somehow fix it but it hasn't. My phone actually stuck today and would not rotate at all no matter what I did (and no, the orientation lock was not on). Powered it off and on and it worked fine. The messaging app appears to be particularly bad.

versifiercsvt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
No luck. Was hoping the upgrade to 8.0.2 would somehow fix it but it hasn't. My phone actually stuck today and would not rotate at all no matter what I did (and no, the orientation lock was not on). Powered it off and on and it worked fine. The messaging app appears to be particularly bad.

@richpjr yeah...basically have no choice but to wait for next update. Having a bigger screen helps, so it's not such a big deal to type in portrait. My guess is Apple's numerous keyboard issues in iOS 8 are all related...somehow having to do with how they allow 3rd party keyboards is making their own keyboard buggy.

@richpjr yeah...basically have no choice but to wait for next update. Having a bigger screen helps, so it's not such a big deal to type in portrait. My guess is Apple's numerous keyboard issues in iOS 8 are all related...somehow having to do with how they allow 3rd party keyboards is making their own keyboard buggy.

I got a 6+ had it a week and had the screen go black and locked me out while rotating it between portrait and landscape 4x so far. It happened whilst on the main home screen, in the built in message app, chrome app, and the weather channel app. It has happened without a keyboard in view and with a keyboard in the view. Any body else seen this or have had this happen to your iPhone 5, 5s, 6 or 6+ with the newer iOS 8 installed on there iPhone? It is very intermittent and once the phone goes black it locks you out of your phone and goes to the lock screen. After each time it has done it, I was able to unlock my phone and open the app back up. It has been annoying when it has happened #

versifiercsvt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I got a 6+ had it a week and had the screen go black and locked me out while rotating it between portrait and landscape 4x so far. It happened whilst on the main home screen, in the built in message app, chrome app, and the weather channel app. It has happened without a keyboard in view and with a keyboard in the view. Any body else seen this or have had this happen to your iPhone 5, 5s, 6 or 6+ with the newer iOS 8 installed on there iPhone? It is very intermittent and once the phone goes black it locks you out of your phone and goes to the lock screen. After each time it has done it, I was able to unlock my phone and open the app back up. It has been annoying when it has happened #

I've only seen it in the messaging app. And yes, the screen going black has happened to me as well...but it doesn't go back to lock screen...instead what I do while it's still blacked out, I hit the home button and the screen goes back to the message I was responding to with the keyboard showing in portrait.

brun019822

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
very annoying it seems like it happens to me everyday, usually when it happens I just toggle the screen rotation lock and the problem goes away. I can't remember apple ever releasing such a buggy iOS, right now my iPhone 6 plus feels more like a android phone with all the bugs and stutter. I hope they fix all the issues soon.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
I read somewhere about calibrating the compass. I did it and so far free from screen rotation problems.

chrisone

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Orientation bug

I just wanted to let you guys know it's not only happening on the iPhone 6. My 5S has been getting stuck in landscape mode as well. They have a lot of work to do with his 8. I find the wifi drop to be most annoying though.

In my experience, it can also get stuck in non-landscape mode (iPhone 6), but I guess on a phone it may not always be noticed since it is mostly used in this orientation. But you see it when trying to view photos and it does not orientate to landscape. My iPad Air often gets stuck in landscape mode. Both on iOS 8.0.2. I guess it is a software bug affecting orientation change in general. Hope it gets fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.