Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several hours after Apple began taking pre-orders for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Store shipping estimates for new orders of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus have now slipped beyond their original September delivery date in the United States.

The larger 5.5-inch model now shows an estimated ship time of 3-4 weeks, pushing online availability of the handset into October. Customers still may be able to secure select configurations for launch day in-store pickup, but availability varies based on geographic location. Supply of the smaller 4.7-inch iPhone 6 remain strong with most colors and capacities still available for September 19th delivery.

iphone-6-plus-shipping.jpg

Those who attempted to pre-order the iPhone 6 at Apple's after 12:01 AM PST experienced a number of problems, including frequent crashes and errors with Apple's own Apple Store app on both the iPhone and iPad. Apple's own online store also did not go up until more than an hour after the target Midnight start time.

Customers may still be to purchase launch-day iPhone 6 Plus units by going to an Apple Retail Store on September 19. The phone will also be available through carrier stores and select third-party retail outlets, although supplies at those locations are usually more limited than at Apple's own stores.

Last year it took around four hours for pre-orders of the iPhone 5s to sell out, as all gold iPhone 5s models saw their shipping estimates slip to October. In 2012, it took all of one hour for pre-orders of the iPhone 5 to sell out.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone 6 Plus Pre-Order Shipping Estimates Slip to 3-4 Weeks

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Technically there were no preorders last year.

----------

How long before the RAM of the 2 models is known without any doubt?

It's 1GB. Anandtech said that the leaked Geekbench appeared legitimate since it matched Apple's claims on the keynote.

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
It's that time of year again :rolleyes:

Ordered mine the moment Sprint had them up, looking forward to it but I would be shocked if they are even shipped by end of October. Last year ordered from Apple the moment the 5s was available, and it didn't arrive until late November (base model Space Gray). In the meantime, I love reading all the threads bitching about shipping times :D

icowboys

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
It's 1GB. Anandtech said that the leaked Geekbench appeared legitimate since it matched Apple's claims on the keynote.

That was for the 4.7". It's the 5.5" that's being reported as having 2GB of RAM.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Technically there were no preorders last year.

----------

For the 4.7" yes. But we don't know for sure about the 5.5". People didn't see a resolution of 1920x1080 coming so I wouldn't lock down 1GB for the big boy yet.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011

As disappointed as I am that it will only have 1 GB (this isn't a very future-proof phone), I believe it is less of an issue for the iPhone than it is for the iPad. The tab reloads on the iPad is unacceptable. What's the point of having tabs if they are constantly reloading?

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
How long before the RAM of the 2 models is known without any doubt?

Pretty sure it's 1GB, which to me is disappointing. iOS could really benefit from an increase to at least 2GB. Apps are getting larger and more demanding and the hardware is going to bottleneck at some point.

I really wanted to get a 5.5" iPhone but I'm just not impressed with the hardware. Still dual core, no 2K resolution, still the same 8MP camera from the 4S and paltry amount of RAM. I mean this is 2014 going into 2015 and Apple is pushing out a phone spec'd for 2012.

Bring on the 6S.......

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
iPhone 6 Plus are 3-4 weeks on the Apple Store app and unavailable for pick up at a store near me while iPhone 6 are deliver by 9/19 and available for in store pick up.

Preordered 6 Plus through Apple Store app to pick up in store on 9/19. Does anyone know if you have to wait on line to pick up online orders?

In the past they've had a separate line for pick ups.

Preordering 6 Plus on Verizon showed deliver by 9/19 and the confirmation email shows deliver by 10/7. Order status page showed 10/7, but now shows Not available at this time.

Order status for AT&T 6 Plus preorder shows Expected Ship Date: Pending confirmation.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
My brother got a 29th delivery date from ordering at launch but managed to reserve a unit at an Apple Store in London, this afternoon, for Friday pick up. So it looks like reservations may still be possible at some stores here in the UK.

johnaskins

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Keep trying

I was up at midnight and got the multiple-language brushoff, went to bed at 1, woke up around 5:30 and tried again. Now I could see the iPhone 6 on the Store but couldn't find a way to select it. Then thought, maybe it's my browser (Chrome). Tried Firefox and by golly there was a nice Select button. I got a 64GB silver from T-Mobile without any problem, to be delivered 9/19. So try a different browser if you're still having problems, and the stories about being sold out may not completely true.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Pretty sure it's 1GB, which to me is disappointing. iOS could really benefit from an increase to at least 2GB. Apps are getting larger and more demanding and the hardware is going to bottleneck at some point.

I really wanted to get a 5.5" iPhone but I'm just not impressed with the hardware. Still dual core, no 2K resolution, still the same 8MP camera from the 4S and paltry amount of RAM. I mean this is 2014 going into 2015 and Apple is pushing out a phone spec'd for 2012.

Bring on the 6S.......

I somewhat agree, although it is a nice looking phone :D

I managed to pre-order a 64GB space grey...Plus model just looks way too big for me but the smaller model I feel is a nice size.

wimbly

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Great, so the apple store had 4 hours of product and AT&T had 1 minute, I ordered right at 3 am on AT&T and 4-5 weeks. Just great

Boo hoo. It's a preorder on a phone that's probably going to sell 80 million units by the end of the year. If all you have to worry about is that you have to wait a few weeks on a new phone then you don't have a lot to worry about.

Queue outside a store on release day if you're that desperate.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
after spending an hour in the middle of the night i wake up to see that I could have just ordered the same phone and got the same delivery... sigh

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
Boo hoo. It's a preorder on a phone that's probably going to sell 80 million units by the end of the year. If all you have to worry about is that you have to wait a few weeks on a new phone then you don't have a lot to worry about.

Queue outside a store on release day if you're that desperate.

This.

It'll come when it comes. Bitching doesn't make it happen any faster. Last year I got an email from Apple when I ordered my 5s the moment it was available, saying I would have it in a few days. Then I got one saying sorry, 2-3 weeks. Then another saying "sorry, 4-6 weeks". Then one more saying 6-8. It arrived the last Friday of November, and I was still glad to see it. We all want to get our new toys right away, but that's just not how life works.

Time only moves slow if you sit and watch the clock and calendar. Find something to do, something else to obsess about, and it'll get there.

wimbly

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014

Bring on the 6S.......

You're a customer of the wrong company if you're pissed off about specs. What's gonna happen is that every one is going to complain about specs, the phone will come out, everything in it will be well reviewed, the phone will get the highest ratings on every website and it will turn out that the specs don't matter much as long as the phone works well. The screen, although not 2K will be praised for its accurate colours and deep blacks. The A8 will be called crazy fast. The camera, yet again, will be called the best on any smartphone apart from maybe those mad Lumias. The only legit complaint is the RAM because of the reloading but who's betting they're gonna push out multitasking in iOS9 and it somehow magically works on phones back as far as the 5S? Probably.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Exactly like the last two times a new phone drops. I preorder, have to wait 3 weeks but have friends that don't preorder, walk into the store the day of release and walk out with one....

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
Exactly like the last two times a new phone drops. I preorder, have to wait 3 weeks but have friends that don't preorder, walk into the store the day of release and walk out with one....

So why not walk into the store on release day rather than preorder? lol.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
PLEASE PLEASE!!! To whomever wrote the algorithm last year to be able to check apples stock for the iPad Air and 5S,please make another one for the iPhone 6 and 6+ please.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
still the same 8MP camera from the 4S and paltry amount of RAM. I mean this is 2014 going into 2015 and Apple is pushing out a phone spec'd for 2012.

Bring on the 6S.......

It's not even remotely the same camera from the 4s. I went from the 4s to 5s this summer (smashed phone so I couldn't hold out). The camera is WORLDS better than the 4s. The 6 won't be a game changer, and yes I'm disappointed that they didn't go to at least 10mp but it really is a good sensor and megapixels aren't the only thing that matters.

For the rest of the phone you can't compare the stats to those of android because they are not comparable. That 2.4 ghz quad core snapdragon in android phones barely edges out the a7 in benchmarks. This is all down to iOS using resources better. You CANNOT compare android specs to iOS specs, they are not comparable due to the differences in the OS

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Anyone with reservations from the middle of the night in the US getting emails to complete your order? Any better ship dates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.