iPhone 6 pricing on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reggoboy, Sep 6, 2014.

1. reggoboy macrumors member

reggoboy

Looks like the old rumors about carriers no longer subsidizing phones might be true. Just spoke to a rep in the AT&T shop and he said he saw something suggesting the iPhone 6 might be $817. And if you're already on the 10gig plan they lured many of us into then you might be looking at an additional $35/mo per upgraded phone. The math is 817 - 200 up front = 617 / 18 mos = $35.

I'm not happy about this at all. What happens when my wife and daughter want to upgrade their phones too? Suddenly my bill has almost doubled.

2. m3nphls macrumors member

I'd wait until 9/9/14 for pricing if I was you.

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Your pricing a 32 gb phone at 749 plus tax. If you don't want your fees to double then buy the phone outright.

4. Applejuiced, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

An AT&T rep would know nothing about iphone 6 pricing at this time.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You might want to read through the some of the hundred threads that point this out. Here is one with lots of discussion on this.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The ATT reps don't know squat yet.
    Relax, wait till 9/9.

7. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

8. 617aircav Suspended

Thats is your decision to make. Why complain over something you dont have to do?

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

If that happens you will suck it up, man up and handle your business as a husband and provider for your family. You can be selfish and only buy a phone for yourself if you want... I say that because you mention if they "want to upgrade their phones too?" None of you have to upgrade phones if the pricing is too much for your finances to handle.

10. reggoboy thread starter macrumors member

reggoboy

I probably didn't emphasize the key point. In the past you paid $200 for the subsidized new phone every 2 years. Now they have migrated most of us to newer contracts where we will still have to pay the $200 up front and then an additional $25-35/mo depending on the model of the phone. Thats a lot more money.

The math is that it's currently $15/phone /mo with AT&T (plus the $100 10gb plan). That 15 will go to 40 or 50/mo for 18mos. Regardless of what apple prices the iPhone at this is how the plan works according to AT&T.

Keep this in mind before you switch to the new att plan.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

There is no $200 up front with the Next plan. That's the key difference. It will be painless... :D

12. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The phrase "now they have migrated most of us to newer contracts" is somewhat misleading. You, as the contract holder, had to have agreed to migrate. AT&T doesn’t just pick you up and drop you in the "newer contracts". You have to choose to go there.

I have don the analysis on Family Share vs Mobile Share, and for me and my family/situation, the Family Share plan is the best deal. Therefore, I have not moved over, and AT&T has not "migrated" me.

It bugs the crap out of me when people make choices and then want to play "victim".

13. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

The thing about the new plan is that it is currently $15/phone/month because you are not paying for a phone subsidy in your current plan. If you purchase a subsidized phone then they adjust the price accordingly so that they get paid.

Nothing has changed really other than the fact that when they switched you to the new plan they were generous enough to do away with the subsidy you had been paying on the old plan even if your phones hadn't been covered by that subsidy yet.

Edit: Also if you are on the 10GB plan and haven't used a subsidy since switching you are not under contract, so they are not migrating people to new contracts they are letting people get rid of contracts.

14. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

What you pay when you "purchase" your new phone with NEXT is the sales tax up front, and then monthly payments that would more or less equal, including the $15/month per shared line, what you were paying for each line while not on the NEXT program. We ALL paid for our phones one way or another.

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

The NEXT plan has been discussed in many a thread. Basically you pay any/all sales taxes upfront. Monthly costs is divided across either a 12-month or 18-month plan to pay for the phone(s). And AT&T waives the upgrade fee.

16. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I stopped reading at this part.

Nothing can be gained from speaking to a sales rep about these sort of things. Whatever they tell you is either:
    a) a guess
    b) a lie

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's threads like this that remind me why the chronic addiction to the archaic subsidized model in the US will take a while for the carriers to break consumers from.

18. reggoboy thread starter macrumors member

reggoboy

Yes, that's what it seems. When they cross sold us to the current plan, they didn't explain that the upgrades would be much more expensive. That's the rub. It may have been explained here, but most folks I talk to were also not aware of it.

Part of the trickiness is in how they shuffled funds around in the monthly bill. The base cost used to be about $80; that went up to $100. The price per phone went down from $40 to $15. Seemed harmless enough. But by doing so, they allowed the fixed cost to remain and then surprise folks with the per-phone cost when they want to upgrade. (I had asked how upgrades would work and they said pricing was not yet available on future upgrades).

Sure, $15/mo/phone is cheap. But that base $100 is a good hunk of cash considering it doesn't include any per-phone pricing. The idea that there's no subsidy cash built into that figure is disappointing to me.

Anyway, it's possible that most of you were aware of this, but the other 99% of the customers will not be, and that's what AT&T was counting on when they made the move.

19. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

How could you not be aware of this. If you looked at their website it is and has been easily explained. There is no trickery here, you pay $100 for your data bucket, you pay $15 for each owned phone to attach to the data bucket. If you want a new phone you either buy it outright and still pay $15, do a 2 yr contract and pay the added $25 to pay off the phone, or use next and pay tax up front, and pay the added monthly fee to pay off the phone.

20. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Stupid question about the plan... I wouldn't have to give up my unlimited data plan, right?

21. reggoboy thread starter macrumors member

reggoboy

The web site has changed substantially from when I signed up months ago. Having said this, almost all of my interaction was with a representative over the phone and not via the web site.

22. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

When they started the new data plans in early Feb. it has been clearly stated on the ATT website. If you want a new phone and don't want your monthly bill to go up just buy outright.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And thats the problem with you and many other consumers.
    Carrier reps will do whatever they can to get more sales and point people in the direction that the company wants them to steer customers to. They will forget to mention the cons or present just the benefits or avoid certain questions or act as if they don't know what will happen with future devices and how etc...
    Its your duty and responsibility to research and find out exactly what you're getting yourself into and fully understand every price option and every cost associated with your plan or contract.
    Its pretty ignorant to say oh they didn't explain everything to me or I didn't fully understand it, I interacted over the phone and didnt look at the website and many more excuses. Poor me, I didn't know.
    Well next time educate yourself and fully understand what you're getting into.

24. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I had 2 unlimited phones. 1 at 2gb. The gb user went over often. The unlimited did very little. Now we spread our usuage over all phones, and with 10gb with 4 phones plus ipads at $160 per month.

I know some people want to hold onto unlimited. I was VERY STUPID in doing that for many many years.