iPhone 6 Sapphire cost $100 extra.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crosscreek, Sep 1, 2014.

?

$100 for sapphire screen worth it?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. No

61 vote(s)
    77.2%
  1. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Just seen on GMA that the sapphire screen will be an option for $100. Is it worth it?

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If you have had problems with scratching the screens of prior iPhones or if you worry about scratching the screens of new iPhones, Sapphire will be more scratch resistant than GG.

If you have had problems with shattering/cracking, Sapphire doesn't do anything toward reducing that problem.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Got any links? Personally I find that unlikely, most people that get a 3rd party replacement screen don't know its not the same material as OEM.

Its a clear material. Why would I care? Sure sapphire is more durable but for me and the way I use a smartphone its a solution looking for a problem. I have no problem with the current glass so I certainly wouldn't pay an extra 100 for it to be upgraded. lol

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

How would anyone know if it is worth it? Much depends on your financial situation and how you treat your phone.

Where did you see it was going to be an "option".

5. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

It's worth it against scratches, but not drops.
    It could be, I just need to check with the wallet first.

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

7. Crosscreek thread starter macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

ABC Good Morning America.

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

^that made me laugh.

9. willmtaylor, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Macrumors forums are most likely more informed than ABC's GMA.

Oh, and based on recent tests I've seen run, while the scratch-resistance is appealing, the tendency to crack/shatter when dropped even from relatively low heights, is off putting. Not worth $100 extra dollars.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't spend an extra $100 for a sapphire screen.

11. Crosscreek thread starter macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I'm just saying what I heard.

12. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I'd be very surprised if Apple chose to charge extra for an identical looking option. It's not easily understandable to customers compared to capacity or screen size.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yeah, I know. I just think it's funny and so typical of these morning news shows that say these types of things like it's true and they really don't have a clue. I was watching one last week and one of the news guys said it may have a holographic keyboard (referring to that 3 year old YouTube video that was put up showing the iPhone projecting the keyboard on to the desk). (Think pico projector patent from a few years ago). That video is so old and not even remotely accurate. But yet the news guy said it like it was going to be a possible feature of the iPhone 6. Just funny. That's all. Wasn't insulting ur comment.

14. cynics macrumors G4

Its amazing how far out of touch some of these news shows and reporters are. Hence why I do my own research and never rely on the news. Someone believing that holographic keyboard thing is no different then me believing some world crisis news that I'm otherwise completely uninformed about.

I have to continually tell my mother that those things she reads on Facebook are 99 our of 100 times not true. She was going on about how walmart will intentionally add 20 dollars to your bill if its over 150 dollars because you might not notice. It pains me...lol

15. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It will either be standard on all iPhones, or not at all.

Not sure why people give rumours like this any attention.

What has Apple done in the last 15 years, to make you think that this is something they might even consider doing?

It's such a bad idea.

16. 617aircav Suspended

No way. $5 tempered glass screen protector is all I need.

17. cynics macrumors G4

I don't know whether to laugh or be embarrassed for those people. I wonder how all those holographic features worked out for them? lol

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Is ABC still on the air? Sorry as I want real news that tells all sides of what is going on in this country. I would rather believe in The National Enquirer than ABC.

----------

Agreed! Apple inventory is already a nightmare to king for each carrier, color and memory capacity. No way they we offer the Sapphire option, it will be all or none.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

20. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I've owned every iPhone generation and never had issues with the screen getting scratched. Never used a screen protector either.

If I could get the same exact phone for $100 less than the sapphire model, I'd definitely do that. Gorilla has been good to me.

:apple:

21. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

22. Crosscreek thread starter macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

It's all rumor until 9/9/2014. :)

I just raised the question because of what I heard and presented as fact. I was curious of how everyone felt.

----------

It's fun to imagine. :)

23. PsykX macrumors 6502a

Based on the tests they did with sapphire in the press lately, based on the cases I buy, based on the fact that my iPhone 5 is always alone in my pocket and has no scratches, based on how much care and attention I give to what I own, I don't think I would pay $100 more just for sapphire. It'd have to come with capacity.

Or at least it'd have to be a better version of sapphire, like Gorilla Glass is somehow a better version of "regular glass", if that even exists.

24. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if theres an option to have a sapphire screen there should be an option to have a larger battery.