Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$100 for sapphire screen worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 61 77.2%

• Total voters

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If you have had problems with scratching the screens of prior iPhones or if you worry about scratching the screens of new iPhones, Sapphire will be more scratch resistant than GG.

If you have had problems with shattering/cracking, Sapphire doesn't do anything toward reducing that problem.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Got any links? Personally I find that unlikely, most people that get a 3rd party replacement screen don't know its not the same material as OEM.

Its a clear material. Why would I care? Sure sapphire is more durable but for me and the way I use a smartphone its a solution looking for a problem. I have no problem with the current glass so I certainly wouldn't pay an extra 100 for it to be upgraded. lol

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
It's worth it against scratches, but not drops.
It could be, I just need to check with the wallet first.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Just seen on GMA that the sapphire screen will be an option for $100. Is it worth it?

Macrumors forums are most likely more informed than ABC's GMA.

Oh, and based on recent tests I've seen run, while the scratch-resistance is appealing, the tendency to crack/shatter when dropped even from relatively low heights, is off putting. Not worth $100 extra dollars.

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
^that made me laugh.

Macrumors forums are most likely more informed than ABC's GMA.

Oh, and based on recent tests I've seen run, while the scratch-resistance is appealing, the tendency to crack/shatter when dropped even from relatively low heights, is off putting. Not worth $100 extra dollars.

I'm just saying what I heard.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'd be very surprised if Apple chose to charge extra for an identical looking option. It's not easily understandable to customers compared to capacity or screen size.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I'm just saying what I heard.

Yeah, I know. I just think it's funny and so typical of these morning news shows that say these types of things like it's true and they really don't have a clue. I was watching one last week and one of the news guys said it may have a holographic keyboard (referring to that 3 year old YouTube video that was put up showing the iPhone projecting the keyboard on to the desk). (Think pico projector patent from a few years ago). That video is so old and not even remotely accurate. But yet the news guy said it like it was going to be a possible feature of the iPhone 6. Just funny. That's all. Wasn't insulting ur comment.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah, I know. I just think it's funny and so typical of these morning news shows that say these types of things like it's true and they really don't have a clue. I was watching one last week and one of the news guys said it may have a holographic keyboard (referring to that 3 year old YouTube video that was put up showing the iPhone projecting the keyboard on to the desk). (Think pico projector patent from a few years ago). That video is so old and not even remotely accurate. But yet the news guy said it like it was going to be a possible feature of the iPhone 6. Just funny. That's all. Wasn't insulting ur comment.

Its amazing how far out of touch some of these news shows and reporters are. Hence why I do my own research and never rely on the news. Someone believing that holographic keyboard thing is no different then me believing some world crisis news that I'm otherwise completely uninformed about.

I have to continually tell my mother that those things she reads on Facebook are 99 our of 100 times not true. She was going on about how walmart will intentionally add 20 dollars to your bill if its over 150 dollars because you might not notice. It pains me...lol

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
It will either be standard on all iPhones, or not at all.

Not sure why people give rumours like this any attention.

What has Apple done in the last 15 years, to make you think that this is something they might even consider doing?

It's such a bad idea.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
ABC Good Morning America.

Is ABC still on the air? Sorry as I want real news that tells all sides of what is going on in this country. I would rather believe in The National Enquirer than ABC.

----------

It will either be standard on all iPhones, or not at all.

Not sure why people give rumours like this any attention.

What has Apple done in the last 15 years, to make you think that this is something they might even consider doing?

It's such a bad idea.

Agreed! Apple inventory is already a nightmare to king for each carrier, color and memory capacity. No way they we offer the Sapphire option, it will be all or none.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I've owned every iPhone generation and never had issues with the screen getting scratched. Never used a screen protector either.

If I could get the same exact phone for $100 less than the sapphire model, I'd definitely do that. Gorilla has been good to me.

:apple:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Based on the tests they did with sapphire in the press lately, based on the cases I buy, based on the fact that my iPhone 5 is always alone in my pocket and has no scratches, based on how much care and attention I give to what I own, I don't think I would pay $100 more just for sapphire. It'd have to come with capacity.

Or at least it'd have to be a better version of sapphire, like Gorilla Glass is somehow a better version of "regular glass", if that even exists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.