IPhone 6 screen protector - or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by videoadvert.tv, Sep 27, 2014.

1. videoadvert.tv macrumors newbie

Anyone put a screen protector on their 6 yet? Got any recommendations?

I put one on my 6 plus and it looks horrible. Never noticed or minded them on my 5 - but because of the curved screen it looks pretty nasty as it doesn't reach the edge. And because the curved sides of the screen are exposed I wonder how much protection it will actually offer if dropped on concrete at the wrong angle.

I did get a tempered glass one as I wanted extra protection without realising how think they were......

Just wondered what everyone else was doing?

2. techspin macrumors 6502a

I have a screen protector from Halo on mine. It's not very noticeable and there is an actual cutout for the camera and speaker instead of a missing rectangular chunk at the top. Since most screen protectors out now don't cover the curved edges, you have to align the protector directly over the display carefully otherwise it's easy to notice uncovered edges. I didn't like the Zagg HDX as there was a slight horizontal line across the center of the screen. If you don't use a case I think it's worth it to not use a screen protector since the curved edges feel great when swiping.

3. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

i just use spigen screen protectors ; they are cheap ! and good quality

4. lke macrumors 6502a

The screen protector distort colors and text. The quality of the screen with a screen protector is horrible.

I have never used a screen protector since my first iphone 1 and because I take care of the iphone I have never scratched the screen.

If you want to avoid scratches you have to follow some simple rules:

1- Never place your iphone with keys, coins, or any other object in your pockets.

2- Never place your iphone anywhere with the screen facing down.

3- Never wear rings

4- Never give your iphone to friends or ladies that use earrings. Or if they have to use your iphone they can use the speakerphone.

The iphone screen is very durable and it will only scratch with very few things.

5. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

I've always used a protector as pockets often contain grit, sand or other abrasive dust.

But on the iPhone 6 I'm seriously re-thinking it. Ive got the Spigen glass.tr one on. Its a great protector, smooth, clear and feels great but the 6 curves make the protector just stand out too much.

I'm careful with my phones but I just like to not have to think about what I'm doing with my phone every 5 seconds.

6. nanotoj macrumors regular

nanotoj

Verizon is trying to push the tempered glass protectors. So far I do not have anything on it.

7. MasterChat macrumors member

I use a screen protector of course. It would probably make my phone dull should I not put one.

8. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

Ever since the 3GS I've used Vaja Top Flip cases and I absolutely love them. I know some people can't stand a cover, but I love the protection it gives while being able to access the naked screen in a second. Totally understand it's not for everyone though.

[​IMG]

9. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

If you don't like scratches get a protector. You can replace a scratched protector for a few dollars. A screen is over $100.

10. Zorba macrumors regular

Zorba

Never used a screen protector. Never had any scratches. It is just a waste of money and it's ugly.

11. Laryl macrumors 6502

Laryl

That's a nice looking case, link to where you got it?
    I've preordered a glass protector from iLoome and can't wait! They have rounded bevel edges and will cover the entire front, not just the center.

12. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

http://www.vajacases.com/

They have a nice selection for whatever you're looking for, although, like I mentioned, I'm quite partial to the Top Flip. The one I have on my iPhone 5 has dealt with 2 years of constant in-and-out of a denim pocket in addition all the other uses you'd expect and it looks even better than on day one. Their leather holds up amazingly well.

One tip - get the 'Floater' leather for your case; it doesn't get damaged or worn (well, it will get a little more smoothed and 'aged' in a good way). I got the case for my 3GS with the plain, smooth 'Caterina' leather and it wore through to the thin plastic shell at a couple pressure points over the 3 years I used that. They discuss the leather types and properties here: http://www.vajacases.com/leather

13. macmacguy macrumors regular

You must take good care of it then. It looks better without, but you must be careful all the time.

14. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Haven't used a screen protector since my 3G. They look horrible to me and diminish the screen. I've never had a scratch on any phone by not having one.

15. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

I'm using a clear screen protector on my Plus currently. It's some cheap one I got from Amazon. It gets the job done. I'm considering buying a matte screen protector since those don't show fingerprints and glare as much.

But I used a matte screen protector on my 5s and loved it. Of course it's going to diminish the quality of the screen somewhat, while also being able to reduce glare and fingerprints. It's personal preference for everyone.

16. Laryl macrumors 6502

Laryl

oh wow.. thanks for the info but that's way out of my budget. I struggled to upgrade my first ever iphone, the 4s, using the buyback. I'm getting the 6 plus and don't see a case for it anyway. Those do look really nice though.

17. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I haven't put a screen protector on my 6 Plus. I also never put a screen protector on my 3GS or 4S before it. After two years, my 3GS was flawless, and after three years, my 4S only had a very tiny surface scratch off the center of the screen (not really visible under most conditions). So while I would recommend a good screen protector as insurance for your new device, I will personally not be using one.

18. Laryl macrumors 6502

Laryl

I have scratches like crazy on my glass protector. but it's not just about the scratches, for me it's about a little piece of mind if something does fall on it or it gets dropped and scratched or even broken, a screen protector is affordable to replace and taking the phone to be fixed isn't (for me).. piece of mind and stuff happens and I have never seen anyone's phone that doesn't have scratches on it after a year. Hoping the gorilla glass on the 6 phones is durable but not sure I'm willing to risk it. At my age life is truly too short to worry about screen problems :)

19. Sharpanator macrumors member

I alsways use screen protectors, yes it look a bit odd like on the Nokia Lumias but i feel better with it. Of course a screen protector gives no protection when dropped, thats impossible for a screen protector. Screen protectors can prevent light scratches from keys or whatever. I have a super slim transparent back case on it as well

20. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

I'm sorry - I should have mentioned that! They aren't cheap for sure, and we all have budgetary constraints. I will add that it is the only case you will need until you choose to upgrade the phone again, but I hear ya.

21. ajm222, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I have a best skins ever screen protector that covers the whole screen but will probably buy one of those new iloome curved glass screen protectors when they come out.

22. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Nope! Hate the way screen protectors look and feel

23. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

24. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No I feel it's not needed because iPhone 4 which I had for 2 years looks perfect.

25. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I haven't used a screen protector since we moved to Retina. Just couldn't stand the loss in quality. I ended up with a few tiny scratches on my 5S but they're only visible with the screen off and in certain lights.