Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Either I'm having the worst luck in the world or Apple's QC has been dropped to allow them to get more iPhones out there.

I'm not anal/OCD but I do expect a defect free phone for £800. I'm on my 3rd iPhone 6 Plus now:

#1 Dark patch at the top of the screen (weird wavy lines). Also has yellow stain at the top left and dark shadow around the edge of the screen. The rest of the screen was a lovely cool Blue crisp white. Looked great.

#2 Bright white spot at the top of the screen noticable on the Hello setup screen. So blatant I didn't even bother setting the phone up.

#3 No dark patch at the top of the screen or edges. The phone spent the first 48 hours getting really hot with a pegged CPU but seems to have calmed down now. The whites on the screen are a little more yellow and there is a minor shadow across the bottom of the screen. You do have to look for it and it sometimes catches my eye when scrolling down text.

Is it the perfect phone? No but the screen is the best of all three.

It's very disappointing that the experience of purchasing and using an iPhone is so negative. My father has a white 6+ and it's really uniform so they do exist. I don't think its unreasonable to expect a screen with a uniform backlight and colours. Isn't that why we pay a premium for Apple products?

Is anyone else going through this?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have some dark spots in the corners of my screen. I know there was a thread about that exact thing and I know that the model units in my Aple store are all the same. So... I am waiting a couple of months for them to get stock in and to see if it's an actual issue or just the way it was made.

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Either I'm having the worst luck in the world or Apple's QC has been dropped to allow them to get more iPhones out there.

I'm not anal/OCD but I do expect a defect free phone for £800. I'm on my 3rd iPhone 6 Plus now:

#1 Dark patch at the top of the screen (weird wavy lines). Also has yellow stain at the top left and dark shadow around the edge of the screen. The rest of the screen was a lovely cool Blue crisp white. Looked great.

#2 Bright white spot at the top of the screen noticable on the Hello setup screen. So blatant I didn't even bother setting the phone up.

#3 No dark patch at the top of the screen or edges. The phone spent the first 48 hours getting really hot with a pegged CPU but seems to have calmed down now. The whites on the screen are a little more yellow and there is a minor shadow across the bottom of the screen. You do have to look for it and it sometimes catches my eye when scrolling down text.

Is it the perfect phone? No but the screen is the best of all three.

It's very disappointing that the experience of purchasing and using an iPhone is so negative. My father has a white 6+ and it's really uniform so they do exist. I don't think its unreasonable to expect a screen with a uniform backlight and colours. Isn't that why we pay a premium for Apple products?

Is anyone else going through this?

It seems 90% of your past posts are about screen tints on different devices. I have never seen any tint issues on any of my Apple devices including several iPhone starting with 3GS and now iPhone 6 +, Macbook Pros (2008 and 2014), Bondi Blue original iMac, MacBook Air 2013, thunderbolt display, iPad 2 and now iPad 2 Air.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
I'm on my second 6 and both had the yellow / dark spot on the corner (by the battery symbol). 3rd will be here on Monday. Crossing fingers it doesn't have this issue.

To the person that has never noticed these issues with their apple products-either you're extremely lucky or your eyes are terrible. Every Apple device I own has screen issues.

Apple just doesn't care because most of its users think apple can do no wrong and keep buying the poor screens.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I'm on my second 6 and both had the yellow / dark spot on the corner (by the battery symbol). 3rd will be here on Monday. Crossing fingers it doesn't have this issue.

To the person that has never noticed these issues with their apple products-either you're extremely lucky or your eyes are terrible. Every Apple device I own has screen issues.

Apple just doesn't care because most of its users think apple can do no wrong and keep buying the poor screens.

Its terrible you are experiencing this, you are part of the low % that is experiencing this..that sucks..keep going till you get the one that is perfect!

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Its terrible you are experiencing this, you are part of the low % that is experiencing this..that sucks..keep going till you get the one that is perfect!

The third will be my last try. My 5s had a terrible yellow screen, but I just decided to live with it. Made my mind up that I wouldn't this time.

Luckily I've been getting new retail boxes. This way I will just return if unhappy. I'm hoping there is a good screen out there.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I just would like to see Apple enforce consistent display calibrations in all of their panels. How hard is that?

It's strange and embarrassing that 1 person gets an iPhone 6/6+ with a cool blue tint and 1 other person gets one with a warm yellow tint...or a cross in between. We all pay the same amount of $$ we should get equal quality displays.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I just would like to see Apple enforce consistent display calibrations in all of their panels. How hard is that?

It's strange and embarrassing that 1 person gets an iPhone 6/6+ with a cool blue tint and 1 other person gets one with a warm yellow tint...or a cross in between. We all pay the same amount of $$ we should get equal quality displays.

Essentially almost impossible in terms of when your mass producing so many LCD displays, its bound to happen...but there should be options we can tweak ourselves to adjust it though

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
My first one had no issues with the screen quality but had some issues with the paint on the glass issue on the white ones. So I went for an exchange. The exchanged one had a pinkish tint on the bottom and the top was normal so (pink band).

Decided to return that one and get another one. All was find until after 14 days, I noticed a dust underneath the screen. It was black directly but if you looked at it sideways then it was white. Went to the genius, got it replaced. The replacement was okay but I could notice a dark band spot, but only noticeable in dark environment. You can't even see it at the apple store. Anyways Genius ran the calibration tool and said it met within spec so they didn't replace it.

At the time, they had received a ton of batch so I decided to buy another one in Space Gray this time and sold my replaced phone.

So far the screen on my SG is great. No issues.

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I noticed the screen consistency of Samsung AMOLED displays is far superior to Apple's. However, their color calibration is oversaturated and it can be somewhat annoying to look at.

I've dealt with tons of screen issues with Apple products; went through 3 iPhone 4, and 4 iPhone 4S. the 4S was particularly annoying because of the yellow tinted screens.

Just to offer some advice, don't keep going to the same Apple store if you have a choice. They come from different factories, but not for the same shipment. If you're having bad luck with one particular store, go to another.

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
When you buy apple product it should be The good quality,i hope you return it untill you get the right one,im sorry this happen to you buddy

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Sounds to me like its a case of the vast majority of these phones have minor quirks and only a small number are "perfect" making trying to find one like finding the holy grail.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
The third will be my last try. My 5s had a terrible yellow screen, but I just decided to live with it. Made my mind up that I wouldn't this time.

Luckily I've been getting new retail boxes. This way I will just return if unhappy. I'm hoping there is a good screen out there.

Update:

Just received my third retail box unit. Same exact problem. I give up. Already sold my 5s. Guess I will have to "settle." Ridiculous.

Reactions: danilko1

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I've got a slight white patch at the top of my 6+. Im gonna wait almost a year and get it swapped.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I have had every model of iOS device except the first iPad. Here are my experiences with the displays:

iPhone original - perfect
iPhone 3G - dark spot in the top half of the LCD, replaced the day as I got it. Replacement ok.
IPhone 3GS - perfect
iPhone 4 - perfect
iPhone 4 white - perfect
iPhone 4s - perfect
iPhone 5- perfect
iPhone 5s - perfect then lost on holiday, replacement, perfect
iPhone 6 Plus - perfect

iPad 2 3G - perfect
iPad 3 3G - perfect until about 8 months old, 1 inch line of dead pixels. Replacement, perfect.
iPad 4 4G - perfect
iPad Air 4G - dark tint down left side, screen smashed after 4 days. Replaced for free by Apple. Replacement, perfect.
iPad mini- perfect
iPad mini retina - perfect
iPad Air 2 4G - perfect

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
My guess is to maximize his battery's lifespan when he gets a fresh one after a year.

It's so minor I'd rather wait. They may have a hard time seeing it too and not want to swap it. I didn't even notice until I saw this thread.

Last edited:

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I'm sure I'm not the only one who buys a lot of Apple kit and I hand down my older devices to the wife and kids each year. We currently have the following remaining devices:

Me: iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 4G
Wife: iPad 4 4G, iPhone 5C Pink (yeah, that one isn't a hand me down :D)
Son 1: iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina 4G
Son 2: iPhone 5, iPad Mini (Will be getting the iPad Air shortly)

All of the other kit has been passed on to other family members.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lartymarf

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2007
I had the dark spot by the battery indicator on my 5S.

My 6 Plus has been perfect. No uniformity and color issues. Glad I got a good one this time.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Sounds to me like its a case of the vast majority of these phones have minor quirks and only a small number are "perfect" making trying to find one like finding the holy grail.

I agree from what I've experienced and seen on the demos in the Apple store. The screens on my iPhone 6 and new Air 2 are not perfect but have very minor issues and I'm happy with them. A year or two ago I probably would have returned them and tried for perfect but I'm over that. I would however return a yellow screen, one with uneven tints or anything else that bothered me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.