iPhone 6 stays on LTE when in range of remembered Wifi network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacVault, Oct 8, 2014.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

I have a new verizon iphone 6, model # 1549 cdma. I've noticed multiple times now it will stay on LTE even when well in range of remembered wifi networks. I don't want to eat up my data plan. The wifi should take priority. Anyone know what's up with this?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Have you tried forgetting the network and resetting network settings then re-adding the wifi network?

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

4. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

This happens on my 6 Plus also. Only way to get it to connect is to bring up the WiFi Settings menu. May be something with 8.0.2, because it seemed fine on 8.0.0.

5. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

No, but why should this matter? The phone will most of the time connect to the wifi but sometimes it clearly stays on LTE.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I ask because I have a dual-band wifi router at the office and it was set up with both enabled. There was an iPhone 4S and a 5c, both on iOS 8, which in the menu bar showed LTE but in the Settings under WiFi, it showed connected. My 5s seemed to work fine though.

I disabled the 5 GHz band on the router and the 4S and 5c connected properly after that.

7. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, resolved it temporarily the other day by doing this but should not have to do this. I'm suspecting a bug in iOS 8.0.2.

I've had this problem on multiple wifi systems.. Cisco, Open-Mesh

8. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

This happened to me as well, I turned off wifi on the phone and then turned it back on....and waited. Eventually it reconnected. An iOS 8 bug for sure.

9. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't know... perhaps the iphone really is on wifi but just fails to reflect that in the menu bar???

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I thought the same thing, but its difficult to discern if its truly using wifi data or cellular.

I also don't know if its related to iOS 8 or not - but I suspect it is.

11. Miche4me macrumors newbie

Yes, it's a huge problem with mine!

I have had my iphone 6 about 10 days, I have called Apple I don't know how many times. We have reset networks, restored and keeps happening. Finally had to call Verizon after Apple tech told me to replace it, there must be something wrong. I called yesterday and will have a new phone tomorrow. FYI, verizon lady said a few are coming back for this issue. Trust me, I tried it all and it's really frustrating, return it before you 14 day window is up. :eek:

Another thing: all my other iphones in the house have no issue. My internet provider checked everything and it's all good there. Return ASAP to get a replacement.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt a replacement would make a difference.
    Its something that needs to be corrected on Apples side.
    The phone and the software is still new and buggy at the moment.