iPhone 6 stays on LTE when in range of remembered Wifi network

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I have a new verizon iphone 6, model # 1549 cdma. I've noticed multiple times now it will stay on LTE even when well in range of remembered wifi networks. I don't want to eat up my data plan. The wifi should take priority. Anyone know what's up with this?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Have you tried forgetting the network and resetting network settings then re-adding the wifi network?

GmDude66

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
PA, USA
I have a new verizon iphone 6, model # 1549 cdma. I've noticed multiple times now it will stay on LTE even when well in range of remembered wifi networks. I don't want to eat up my data plan. The wifi should take priority. Anyone know what's up with this?
This happens on my 6 Plus also. Only way to get it to connect is to bring up the WiFi Settings menu. May be something with 8.0.2, because it seemed fine on 8.0.0.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No, but why should this matter? The phone will most of the time connect to the wifi but sometimes it clearly stays on LTE.
I ask because I have a dual-band wifi router at the office and it was set up with both enabled. There was an iPhone 4S and a 5c, both on iOS 8, which in the menu bar showed LTE but in the Settings under WiFi, it showed connected. My 5s seemed to work fine though.

I disabled the 5 GHz band on the router and the 4S and 5c connected properly after that.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Have you tried forgetting the network and resetting network settings then re-adding the wifi network?
Yes, resolved it temporarily the other day by doing this but should not have to do this. I'm suspecting a bug in iOS 8.0.2.

I've had this problem on multiple wifi systems.. Cisco, Open-Mesh

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
This happened to me as well, I turned off wifi on the phone and then turned it back on....and waited. Eventually it reconnected. An iOS 8 bug for sure.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I ask because I have a dual-band wifi router at the office and it was set up with both enabled. There was an iPhone 4S and a 5c, both on iOS 8, which in the menu bar showed LTE but in the Settings under WiFi, it showed connected. My 5s seemed to work fine though.

I disabled the 5 GHz band on the router and the 4S and 5c connected properly after that.
I don't know... perhaps the iphone really is on wifi but just fails to reflect that in the menu bar???

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't know... perhaps the iphone really is on wifi but just fails to reflect that in the menu bar???
I thought the same thing, but its difficult to discern if its truly using wifi data or cellular.

I also don't know if its related to iOS 8 or not - but I suspect it is.

Miche4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
Yes, it's a huge problem with mine!

I have had my iphone 6 about 10 days, I have called Apple I don't know how many times. We have reset networks, restored and keeps happening. Finally had to call Verizon after Apple tech told me to replace it, there must be something wrong. I called yesterday and will have a new phone tomorrow. FYI, verizon lady said a few are coming back for this issue. Trust me, I tried it all and it's really frustrating, return it before you 14 day window is up. :eek:

Another thing: all my other iphones in the house have no issue. My internet provider checked everything and it's all good there. Return ASAP to get a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.