iPhone 6:TSMC Will Reportedly Be The Prime Manufacturer Of Apple A8 Processors

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gto55, Sep 29, 2013.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I have no idea but the experts seem to think that it will be on the TSMC 20nm process rather than the A7's 28nm Samsung process. according to the TSMC info that gives "30 percent higher speed, 1.9 times the density, or 25 percent less power than its 28nm technology." just from the process change (source http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/20nm.htm). Note that quote doesn't say you get all of them, it seems to be saying it's a choice of the three.

I suspect that I might be in the minority here but personally I really hope that they prioritise reducing power consumption above performance increases for the A8. I really don't want Apple to go quad core for the A8 or to keep chasing double the performance each generation, I'd rather they limited themselves to at most 30% performance increase on the A8 and concentrate their design innovation on things that improve power efficiency as much as possible. Maybe the higher density of 20nm could allow more space to integrate stuff in the A8 package that is currently placed elsewhere on the PCB and thus reduce the PCB size and allow more space for a bigger battery.

2. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

If iPhone 6 gets a bigger screen, the resolution will also increase (possibly as high as 2272x1280), and that will require extra CPU/GPU power. So I guess will get at least 2x CPU and GPU.

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

2272x1280? Seems like that would be a huge waste of battery for no real benefit but spec sheet stuffing, regardless if they put a bigger battery in.

I'd much rather Apple just go the Moto X route of 720p and 24 hour battery life. It's not like the "retina" display is lacking in real-life clarity at 300+ ppi.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

5. TheRealCBONE macrumors regular

Probably will have higher yields with better quality when they get tired of TSMC stinking out the joint and go back to Samsung.

Seriously though, it's not going to be a huge leap in technology that's going to change the game. Just an incremental improvement. Slightly faster, a handful of features for bulletpointing, that's about it, I'm thinking.

6. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Of course iPhone's retina display isn't lacking. But going to 720p or 1080p would be very annoying for developers. That's why Apple has always gone with quadrupling the resolution (480x320 to 960x640 and 1024x768 to 2048x1536)

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Ah, I see. Very valid idea then : doubling the resolution like they did last time for the retina display.

I still don't think they would actually go up to 1280p resolution, but thank you for taking the time to explain your though process to me Tommy :)

8. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

No one but Apple knows, but I'm sure they'll come up with the right thing :)