iphone 6 (waiving two year)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gharvell, Aug 6, 2014.

1. gharvell macrumors member

I sure hope Apple works it out with carriers to let us that are under current contarctsto get the new 4.7 iphone 6. i believe they did this when they launched the iphone 4, they wavied the two year time frame.

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I remember AT&T doing this one year, back when AT&T was the only carrier. I doubt they would strike a deal with ALL carriers for this. It didn't happen last year - and some people had to wait for their upgrade date.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

4. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

ATT did this back when the iPhone 3G came out to let iPhone 2G users upgrade early.

5. cnotes2019 Suspended

Won't happen but I've been wrong one time in my life so who knows

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

The only company with any sort of "early upgrade" in place for iPhone is AT&T. If you are at least 6 months into a contract, you can pay new customer pricing + $250.

So if the iPhone 6 4.7" is $199 for new customers, then an early upgrade would be $449.... which is better than $650 for sure. If you have a a 5 or 5S, selling it should help you cover a big chunk of it.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Those "nice" days of ATT are gone. They might give you a month or so but you will not see a year. I can't blame them as thing have changed from when they used to do that.

They will want you to keep you two year contract. They might give you a partial credit if you renew for another 2 years and an activation fee.

8. 617aircav Suspended

2g owners paid full price for the iPhone and were free to upgrade to the 3g at anytime.

9. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I pre-ordered the iPhone 5 on Sprint and my contract isn't up until October of this year, but I've been eligible to upgrade since May 1st. I'm not sure when it started but they allow you to upgrade at 20 months of your contract. That and paying $60 for my line on my family plan are probably the only real benefits of being on Sprint.

10. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

ATT did it for people going from 3g -> 4 since I got it first day both times.

Honest question why would you want to be on 2 year contract anymore? It is much cheaper to dump that option and pay the phone outright or finance it through ATT for 0% interest for 2 years and not pay more money a month.

11. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

It was actually 450 on contract at the beginning. I've had every iPhone iteration since 2007.

12. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

As far as my situation and using Sprint as an example, I actually found that moving to the Framily plan and maintaining unlimited data, my monthly line cost with 4 people after tax and whatnot, would come out to right at $60 (for my line), which is what I'm paying now. But that was before financing the phone at $25+/mo. Keeping on contract, which I don't really have an issue with, keeps me at paying $299 for a 32gb (hopefully less with the 6), then $60/month, rather than putting out $749 down, and still $60/mo. or doing the finance option and hitting $85+/mo.

13. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Wow that is unfortunate sprint has yet to move in the direction of the other carriers, I suppose for your situation it is a good deal, unlimited data is nothing to sneeze at either.

14. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

No more of that because they have the NEXT plans so it will not be any early upgrades for the $199 or $199 plus $250 fee. If you are not eligible for a standard 2 yr they will offer the NEXT program...

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think ATT will give a partial discount for one year left on your contract. I am just going to hand them $800 and hope for change as I am not doing a contract anymore.

16. wallstreetfool macrumors newbie

I believe AT&T has some provision to wave the 2 year contract as it pertains to new models of iPhone.

I'm not sure about this as I haven't upgraded by iPhone since 2010 - Still using iPhone 4.

17. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Or just pay the non-subsidized price.

That's that I end up doing. Every other year I get the subsidized contract price, every other year I pay full price. It means every two years you pay a bit more, but that's not so much to always have the latest tech in my pocket.