iPhone 6, Waterproof? Other Features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lolkthxbai, Sep 22, 2013.

1. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

I don't think Apple would make a waterproof iPhone just yet. First of all, electronic devices and water just don't mix and it's a bad idea.

Even if you did want to, you would have to make sure without a doubt that the device would not be affected by the presence of water. Then there's the issue of how practical is it...

Does it intervene in any way with the experience of the phone thus far?

Does it require you to constantly plug the data port and headphone jack?

How do you make sure the waterproof feature will last as long as the life of the phone?

What method do you even choose to make the phone waterproof?

These are the things Apple would ask themselves and so much more before they would include any feature. If they don't believe it's the right thing to do at the moment, then they don't do it. And they've said it over and over. So what else is left? What other features could the iPhone 6 bring to the table after the 5s?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I'd wait until may or june until there are some actual rumors being speculated. Trying to figure out what next years phone will have without any leaks yet is like trying to figure out what will happen when you pass away.

If apple wanted to make the next iPhone waterproof it could do it with heavy amounts of liquipel:

3. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Yea that's the feature millions of users are waiting for! Number one priority to Apple, I'm sure. Wouldn't it be nice to put into the dishwasher?

And while we're at it why not making it fireproof, physical-damage-proof, microwave-proof, blender-proof.

They could seal it, remove the physical home-button, wireless charging and syncing, membrane speakers and so on. But who would buy it, what would it look like?

4. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

If implemented correctly it would be a great feature to have.

Probably wouldn't be buying lifeproof cases anymore.

5. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Way to early to talk about the next version be happy with your new 5S a little bit longer before worrying about version 6

6. iBreatheApple, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It's never too early to talk about an upcoming device if it's the next to come.

7. aluren macrumors 65816

IPhone 6 = Watergate

You heard it hear first folks!

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I could see waterproof. And most likely Liquid Metal (http://liquidmetal.com) ..since Apple now owns it. It would resist nearly all dents...and would bounce pretty well if dropped! Those two features would be a major ruggedization that the iPhone would benefit from. Other features I would like to see,

Remove the Home button (maybe move it to the right side above the mute toggle) and the earpiece speaker and make a larger screen with the same footprint.

Use film speaker to replace the speakers under the phone and the earpiece.
    (http://www.diginfo.tv/v/13-0009-r-en.php)

Wireless charging. But that is a little way off..since it would require an induction plate....and I don't know that people are quite ready for that as a standard.

Obviously, thinner, lighter, more battery life.

There isn't a huge amount of places that can be gone for improvement tho. It's a pretty spectacular device.

9. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Yeah, never too early to speculate. It's fun!

I'm really counting on the already rumoured 4.5" iPhone 6.

10. naughtynumber9 macrumors newbie

Waterproofing would be a great feature! I'd probably buy it. I think one of Sony's new flagship smart phones is waterproof and it's pretty sleek like an iPhone (glass+metal), not at all like the typical 'rugged' phones. An olive drab or desert tan rugged version of the 5C would probably be pretty popular phone among people who would benefit from waterproofing and other outdoor friendly features.

11. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I quite fancy a phone which has a battery which can last a whole day, or dare I say... 2 days?!

12. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Samsung and Sony have already done it but I'm sure Apple will get the credit if they do make a water "resistant" phone

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If apple does it...it won't be "resistant" it will be scuba dive capable...or not happening...LOL