iPhone 6+ Wi-Fi calling sounds terrible in VoIP meeting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hipnetic, May 16, 2016.

1. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

I've been wanting to disconnect our house landline phone which is costing me about $45/month. My wife who works at home occasionally has been resistant to this. I have tried to get her to use our Ooma line or her iPhone 6+ w/Wi-Fi calling, but she tells me that the other people she's talking to tell her that she sounds terrible, so she always has to end the call and call back in using our landline phone.

I'm not certain what they use for meetings, but I think it's Lync/Skype. Doing a Google search on the subject has turned up nothing. She's attempted this several times and always reports the same results. I would like to test this out further so that I can hear what her coworkers are hearing, but I haven't been able to do that yet.

A couple of my thoughts:
    1) Already ruled out: I thought that maybe her phone was using the cellular tower instead of Wi-Fi, which could explain issues, since our cellular coverage is weak. So I switched the phone to airplane mode and then turned Wi-Fi back on. She still experienced the problem.
    2) The combination of Wi-Fi (VoIP) calling on the iPhone with another VoIP solution (Lync) is causing problems.
    3) Our 802.11ac Apple AirPort is unreliable for this purpose. I know that the AirPort lacks QoS, which some routers have and which is supposedly important for VoIP.

Neither of these ideas seems likely since I would have expected to find a lot of other people reporting this type of problem if either of these were the cause.

FWIW, our home internet is Comcast/XFinity Blast which is over 100Mbps down, 10Mbps up.

Also, I had her try calling our home landline using her iPhone 6+ w/Wi-Fi calling and it sounded perfectly fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I can't say for sure, but my guess is a lync/skype issue. It could also be an internet issue with her company. I have yet to here of a bad wifi calling connection to a regular land line or cell, unless they had bad service.

3. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Is she using speakerphone and are the people she's talking to also using speakerphone on their end? This could explain the poor audio quality. Otherwise, I can't understand why the quality would be an issue due to a combination of two VoIP solutions.