iPhone 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I plan on having quality hands on time with both of the new iPhones. I thought it would be cool to give you guys the chance to ask me a bunch of questions beforehand so I'll know what specific things to check out when I'm playing with the new devices... as some of you know I'm a pretty diehard Android user. I've been considering the 6 Plus and this should give me a very good idea about how I like the device. And no I'm not making this up... this should get interesting. Ask away!

1st and foremost! There is only 1GB of RAM on the 6 Plus.
2nd. They're thin! I couldn't really tell the difference between the 6.9 and 7.1mm thickness tbh.
3rd. The 6 Plus gets really hot!!!! This is going to be a hot topic of discussion I'm sure of it. The 6 Plus got uncomfortably hot during use and stayed that way.
4. The screen is really nice on both phones. The contrast could be a little better on the 6 Plus but for iPhone users they won't mind. Android AMOLED users will be a little off put by it though. The screen on the 6 Plus reminds me of the Droid DNA ... very nice! If you look really really close I couldn't really distinguish pixels. The 6 is pretty much the same as before, you can still see pixels but at a distance it is a very nice screen and is more than enough for the majority of users.
5. The 6 Plus is a little taller than I wish it was, but the width and thickness are obviously selling points. Bezels are a little big on 6 Plus but 6 not so bad.
6. I was surprised that the speaker on the 6 almost sounded better than the 6 Plus. The 6 Plus sounded maybe a tad louder but overall lower fidelity and the bass punch on the 6 sounded better to me than the 6 Plus.
7. There definitely was lag on the 6 Plus! Safari Tabs reload galore, and a lot of apps that I would load and come back to later had to re load instead of being cached nicely like I was hoping. Apple maps had a noticeable stutter one time I loaded it. Flicking through lots and lots of tabs on Safari wasn't buttery smooth either. Loading tabs every now and then would have a little bit of lag or stutter. Some lag when opening other apps and it can take very long to load apps that were stored in multitasking! Too long if you ask me. Also iTunes trailers wouldn't go landscape mode, just a bug.
8. Setting the phone flat on a table wasn't a problem when tapping most of the screen, only when tapping the upper left corner did it sway and that was kind of annoying. But for the bottom portion the phone barely even moved and it didn't bother me at all.
9. The camera was a little disappointing. It wasn't all bad though! The slow mo feature is very cool but pictures had kind of poor contrast and had noticeable grain in good indoor lighting (with lighting pouring in from the outside.) Outdoor and macro shots were good though! Also one of the best features is that it focuses very quickly when taking video as you move it around on different subjects.
10. Apple pay works seamlessly. You can "pay" before the cashier enables the card thing so it'll pay before it's ready if that makes any sense... its also very secure and gives you notifications for receipts with the location too.

I would like to emphasize that the overall UI navigation experience was smooth, I just wanted to acknowledge that there wasn't zero lag. It wasn't consistent either, sometimes there would be a small stutter, most of the time there wasn't. Looking forward to the reviews after the device is released mostly to see if the heat is an issue for lots of users.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
As the title says I plan on having quality hands on time with both of the new iPhones and the Apple Watch (thread here) tomorrow afternoon. I thought it would be cool to give you guys the chance to ask me a bunch of questions beforehand so I'll know what specific things to check out when I'm playing with the new devices... as some of you know I'm a pretty diehard Android user so it'll be neat to compare the 6 Plus to my time spent as a Note 2 user. I've been considering the 6 Plus and tomorrow should give me a very good idea about how I like the device. And no I'm not making this up... this should get interesting. Ask away!
Put the 6+ in your pocket then try sitting and kneeling. Give us your impressions of the 6+ vs the 6 in this type of scenario.
Additionally, tell us how easy it is to type or Swype the keyboard one handed.
I already know the answers, this is more for the benefit of others.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Pretty cool if you aren't making it up :).

The thing I want to know is, what happens when you use the 6/6+ when it's flat on a table? Is the protruding camera lens a problem? Does it rattle or tilt when you tap around?

And as an Android user, what do you think of Touch ID vs. Android fingerprint scanners?

----------

Put the 6+ in your pocket then try sitting and kneeling. Give us your impressions of the 6+ vs the 6 in this type of scenario.
I tried this with a printed out prototype and the results were not good. It fit in my pocket fine, with a good bit of room to spare actually, but sitting down with it was awkward. Of course I went ahead and ordered it anyway.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
I know people really want to know about the ram. Which, if you're legit, they probably wouldn't let you check out or benchmark - but maybe just see how many open tabs you can switch between before they start automatically reloading?

----------

I've also been wondering, since it's 1080p, will it be able to access any iPad apps?

TorontoSS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Here's a general question. Getting an iphone 6, as you all are in this thread, when you get the new phone, should you be doing things like say, charging it all the way before you use it? Or draining it and charging or can you just start using it right away (setting up, etc).

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
Ok. You know. So then what would be the source of this great and infinite knowledge you possess? Or, if "I know" is hyperbole for "I have a very strong belief based on experience/reason," then consider me curious - what is the reasoning?
I have another source, I know too...

It just won't. If the apps are made for iPad, then they won't work on different screen size and aspect ratio.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Ok. You know. So then what would be the source of this great and infinite knowledge you possess? Or, if "I know" is hyperbole for "I have a very strong belief based on experience/reason," then consider me curious - what is the reasoning?
That would be the nail in the coffin for iPads.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
Good reasons. And good answers to a simple question. Thanks, everyone but Doctor11 ;)

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Do you also have access to an Apple rep who can answer tech spec questions? Really need to put this RAM bashing to rest.

In lieu of that, can you open a lot of browser pages and flip through them and test to see if the phone slows at any point. Try and put it under heavy load ;)

thisdj78

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
I just want to know if the Landscape mode on 6+ works in the music app as well.

I hate that it switches to album covers. I like scrolling through "All Songs" as in portrait mode.

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I plan on having quality hands on time with both of the new iPhones and the Apple Watch (thread here). I thought it would be cool to give you guys the chance to ask me a bunch of questions beforehand so I'll know what specific things to check out when I'm playing with the new devices... as some of you know I'm a pretty diehard Android user. I've been considering the 6 Plus and tomorrow should give me a very good idea about how I like the device. And no I'm not making this up... this should get interesting. Ask away!
Are you getting one in advance of everyone else?

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Additionally, tell us how easy it is to type or Swype the keyboard one handed.
I already know the answers, this is more for the benefit of others.
Sitting and kneeling wasn't an issue with the 6 Plus. One handed typing is hard on the far left in portrait if you have average sized hands and there wasn't any Swype. 2 handed typing on the 5 Plus was pretty nice.

Pretty cool if you aren't making it up :).

The thing I want to know is, what happens when you use the 6/6+ when it's flat on a table? Is the protruding camera lens a problem? Does it rattle or tilt when you tap around?

And as an Android user, what do you think of Touch ID vs. Android fingerprint scanners?
Touch ID works very well better than Android for sure. Haven't tried the Note 4 yet. When it's on a flat surface the only issue arises when I touch the top left corner, it wobbles. The rest of the phone is sturdy when you tap around on a flat surface (only tried the 6 Plus). The camera doesn't protrude very much and is less of an issue than most of the naysayers here think it is.

On the 6 Plus, does the screen lag a noticeable amount because of the downscaling?
Specs? RAM?
How does it feel in hand?
1GB. Rumor is 1.4GHz A8 but I didn't get this confirmed.
There is some inconsistent lag, I described it in the OP check it out.
Feels good in hand. You get used to the size quickly and the rounded edges help, it is fairly heavy but has excellent build quality.

Do they fly? Throw it an find out for me please.
It can fly but only temporarily, gravity gets the upper hand after about 2 seconds.

I know people really want to know about the ram. Which, if you're legit, they probably wouldn't let you check out or benchmark - but maybe just see how many open tabs you can switch between before they start automatically reloading?

----------

I've also been wondering, since it's 1080p, will it be able to access any iPad apps?
1GB and no it won't do iPad apps. Scaled iPhone apps are a hit or miss on the 5 Plus. Some look fine, others don't look that good.

Do you also have access to an Apple rep who can answer tech spec questions? Really need to put this RAM bashing to rest.

In lieu of that, can you open a lot of browser pages and flip through them and test to see if the phone slows at any point. Try and put it under heavy load ;)
Check out my hands on impressions for that. It can struggle a bit on heavy load (6 Plus). Didn't play with the 6 a whole lot.

I just want to know if the Landscape mode on 6+ works in the music app as well.

I hate that it switches to album covers. I like scrolling through "All Songs" as in portrait mode.
No, it switches to album covers like normal. Portrait mode is the same except the A-Z doesn't span the entire height of the phone, it stops like an inch or so from the top and bottom and is center justified vertically.

Hows the sound quality of the speaker with music playing? Thanks
Check my impressions, the 6 speaker was pretty good actually and had good bass for kick drums and EDM, the 6 Plus I was not very impressed with it goes fairly loud but doesn't have great fidelity and doesn't go as loud as many would like. Bass response was "alright".

Are you getting one in advance of everyone else?
No.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Ehh doesn't sound too promising for the 6+ eh? Damn I already ordered the glass screen protector and case for a 6+...

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
bump I just posted my hands on impressions.
Not trying to be rude, but how exactly are we supposed to believe you?

If everything you're saying is true I definitely will return my 6 Plus. Do you have any proof that everything you're saying is true and you're not trolling?

Thanks.

maybeiloveyou

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
california
3rd. The 6 plus gets really hot!!!! This is going to be a hot topic of discussion i'm sure of it. The 6 plus got uncomfortably hot during use and stayed that way.
6. I was surprised that the speaker on the 6 almost sounded better than the 6 plus. The 6 plus sounded maybe a tad louder but overall lower fidelity and the bass punch on the 6 sounded better to me than the 6 plus.
7. There definitely was lag on the 6 plus! Safari tabs reload galore, and a lot of apps that i would load and come back to later had to re load instead of being cached nicely like i was hoping. Apple maps had a noticeable stutter one time i loaded it. Flicking through lots and lots of tabs on safari wasn't buttery smooth either. Loading tabs every now and then would have a little bit of lag or stutter. Some lag when opening other apps and it can take very long to load apps that were stored in multitasking! Too long if you ask me. Also itunes trailers wouldn't go landscape mode, just a bug.
ugh!

sobbing-emoji.jpg

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Not trying to be rude, but how exactly are we supposed to believe you?

If everything you're saying is true I definitely will return my 6 Plus. Do you have any proof that everything you're saying is true and you're not trolling?

Thanks.
No. I just tried Apple pay with my friend and it works very well!!! I'm not lying... believe it or don't the choice is yours ;)

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
doesn't sound like the 6 Plus is worth the extra $100...not a very positive review for that device

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
No. I just tried Apple pay with my friend and it works very well!!! I'm not lying... believe it or don't the choice is yours ;)
Instead of being so brief can you explain how/why you have this early access?

Status
Not open for further replies.