iPhone 6C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ed Miliband, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Ed Miliband macrumors member

There has been no iPhone 6C rumors.

Will there be a iPhone 6C .

2. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I believe it will be when the 6s is released. This years lineup will be very simplified:

iPhone 6
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 5c

I believe the 5.5" will be positioned differently maybe as a phablet, but I don't think Apple will call it iphablet.

3. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Would have killed the iPhone 6 sales as the plastic back wouldn't have antenna bands or protruding camera... :)

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6L (L for Long, as in 5.5")

5. martin.daniels1 macrumors newbie

I think the 5C was such a disaster that they won't release any C anymore

6. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

7. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

You do realize the iPhone 5c has sold very well over the course of the year? They estimate that it sold 2.25 million units on launch weekend alone.

I realize that it didn't sale as well as flagship iPhones, but it has sold as well if not better then any Android flagship. I don't think a new c is coming out, but I don't believe it was a disaster either

----------

I do agree with you. I don't think a 6c will be released until at least iphone 6s is released. However it's possible that Apple doesn't release another C ever.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPhone 6C

What alternate reality are you in?

They sold massive numbers, and had a lower bom cost than if they had kept the 5, firther boosting their margins.

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This. Is exactly right. The 5c was a great success as the year went on for Apple. It has continued to sale well throughout the entire year. I don't understand where people get the misguided information that suggests otherwise

10. martin.daniels1 macrumors newbie

Of course it sold but it didn't sell as well as Apple would have hoped. Making a plastic iPhone when everyone is expecting premium quality wasn't well received. Take a look at people in the malls or schools or wherever there are crowds. 10 to 1 that people have iPhone 5S compared to 5C.

11. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Well this may be true, but I don't think the 5s is outselling the 5c 10 to 1. I'm giving 3 to 1 at the most...

12. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

How can you say so definitively? You have no idea what they hoped. The numbers speak for themselves. The 5c did better than the 4s did when the 5 was the flagship, with less premium materials.

There's also a proportion of people who would have bought the 5 because they like the materials but don't need the new features. Not having the 5 around forced them to either pay up for the 5s, or accept the plastic.

The true reason the 5c was made will be what happens this year. It'll be the free on contract version. If the 5c didn't exist, the 5 would be the free option, which would kill margins. The premium feel of the 5 is not appropriate on a free phone.

Without the 5c, Apple would be leaving so much money on the table.

13. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

It will probably come out with the 6S.
    I don't expect apple to shake the lineup like that every year.
    Probably with the s cycle.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They could optimize and save a bundle on making a iPhone 5CS.

Update 5C with TouchID, and the 5S logic board. Drop the aluminum from the bom for this lower cost device.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

Malls or schools ... :D.

i don't hang around in malls or schools (actually find it weird that you would)

I prefere the 5c much over the 5s. I think the design and feel is perfect.

16. mchart macrumors member

They will likely discontinue using the Aluminum case for the 5S, but still continue selling it as something else with the 5c style plastic case.

17. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

So they'd be offering a free plastic phone and a $100 plastic phone with minor upgrades? That makes no sense. Even if they offered the 5C with only 8gb of storage and the plastic 5S with 16gb, I don't see that working. When the 5S launched, it was easy to envision people saying, "I can save $100 and get the 5 because it looks a lot like the 5S" - so they made the 5C to protect 5S sales (IMO).

The interesting question will be what happens next year. It really doesn't make any sense for them to offer the 5S as the free phone, so it's reasonable to think they will convert it to a plastic phone. So where does that leave the (presumed) 6S and the 6? I guess they could conceivably get away with a plastic version of the 6 since it's bigger than the plastic 5S.

18. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

So they're going to sale two plastic phones? I don't see it happening...

The lineup is going to be more simple than people think.

It's probably gonna look like this:
    iPhone 6 4.7" $199
    iPhone 5s $99 in aluminum
    iPhone 5c free

Then the 5.5" will be a new product line

19. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

What?! I dont think the 5c was a disaster at all. Sure, the 5s sold more, but thats a far cry from saying the 5c was a disaster :)

20. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's only a matter of time before there is no more "s" or "c" in iPhone names. There will be an iPhone, and iPhone Pro.