Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the launch of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, there were rumors suggesting both TSMC and Samsung were developing Apple's A9 chip for the device. There was some confusion over how the split would work, because the two companies used different technologies - TSMC was rumored to be using a 16-nanometer process while Samsung used a 14-nanometer process.

Chipworks has now confirmed via several iPhone 6s teardowns that the new devices do indeed contain application processors from both Samsung and TSMC. Comparatively, the die size of the Samsung processor is smaller than the die size of the TSMC processor.

a9chipsiphone6s.jpg

The APL0898 chip was developed by Samsung and measures in at 96 square millimeters, while the APL1022 chip manufactured by TSMC measures in at 104.5 square millimeters. Chipworks suggests Apple's decision to use processors from both companies points towards "major sourcing problems," but over the last few years, Apple has opted to diversify its supply chain to prevent manufacturing hurdles that can potentially lead to delays.

It is not yet clear how the size difference between the chips will affect the performance of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, but Chipworks plans to benchmark each of the processors to figure out whether iPhones equipped with Samsung chips and those equipped with TSMC chips perform differently.

Article Link: iPhone 6s Uses Different-Sized A9 Chips From Samsung and TSMC

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
[conspiracy_theory]
Subterfuge on Samsung's part while dissing the iPhone?
[/conspiracy_theory]

BL.

_illusionistk

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2015
So one will run hotter, slightly, than the other and thus will probably throttle first.(reducing clocks) As a result battery life shouldn't be effected, but I could be wrong.

Apple definitely designed redundancy into their hardware to account for this difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: FreeState

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
If Apple can't fulfil the demand when a new device is released, people complain.

If Apple sources components from two different manufacturers to alleviate supply constraints, people complain.

I think the only way people will be satisfied is if Apple recruits Albus Dumbledore himself to make the phones by magic.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh for crying out loud, this is going to drive the picky people crazy. I will state for the record I do not give a flying fig, pig or poo which of the two manufacturers made my chip. So far my IPhone runs great and it's my favorite iPhone since my beloved iPhone 4. Well done to whomever made the chip that's in it.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Soon we are going to see threads about people asking what size their A9 is or if they get a better battery life because of smaller A9.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Why is this a story? Different processes, different foundries, different sizes. It's be more newsworthy if the were exactly the same size.

Reactions: thasan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.