iPhone 6s: Arlington, VA - Clarendon Store

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by RiderXTC, Sep 20, 2015.

1. RiderXTC macrumors member

It's that time of year again. Is everyone pumped for the new iPhone 6s / 6s Plus. Believe it or not I almost decided to forego the camp out experience this year in favor of pre-ordering or reserving a unit. Of course this was a pipe dream since pre-orders sold out so quickly with shipping dates indicating 2-3 weeks for delivery by the time I was able to place my order. Almost immediately after being disappointed by the pre-order process, I tried to reserve one for in store pickup. It seems my fate was sealed again this year, as there were no 6s Plus devices available in any color, capacity, carrier, in MD, VA, DC, or DE.

I will once again be one of the so called "Apple Sheep". I look forward to meeting up with old and new friends alike. If you are not camping out but are in the neighborhood, stop by and say hello. We can all stay in touch using #ClarendonApple.

P.S.> Old, crazy ladies who are incredibly annoying and/or confused are not welcome. Some of you who were present last year will understand.

P.S.S> If you are a celebrity, please feel free to Tweet about me again this year. Hint. Hint. William Shatner.

2. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

Am I really the only one who will be there this year?

3. MrSP macrumors newbie

I've been trying to decide whether to go to Apple or to a carrier store. Didn't plan ahead of time for the pre-order. How was the Clarendon store last year?

4. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

It was pretty crazy last year. The next person in line arrived at about 4:00 PM on Thursday. Around 7:00 PM or so, the line grew exponentially. Prior to the doors opening at 8:00 AM, the line wrapped around the entire loop.

5. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

Well, I am once again the first in line. I arrived to much fanfare and welcome from the Apple staff at about 4:00 PM today. The staff here at Clarendon are second to none.

6. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

For real? You one-upped the crowd and lined up 4PM Wedsnesday? Your loyalty to the crew at Clarendon Apple is priceless. Appreciate if you take some pics and update to here. I camped at Tysons Apple last 2 years, and they get good allotment. We got what we wanted showing up 9:30pm Thursday before launch.

7. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

They are definitely a good crew and they treat me very well. I will be posting updates as I have them. In fact, the first is the inventory of 6s and 6s Plus devices have arrived today. They are not usually delivered until sometime on Thursday but I have it on good authority that Apple wanted to make sure they arrived today to avoid potential shipping delays related to the Papal visit. I assume this would hold true for other Northern Virginia stores- this is an assumption on my part.

8. CongressDJ macrumors member

Rider, do you know how inventory went last year? I made the mistake of picking Fair Oaks last year. Got there at 4am (mall security wouldn't let lines form before then, so I thought I had a good shot). I ended up getting screwed by a mass bumrush of Chinese people who were line-sitting and didn't speak any English. I ended up being about 150 deep, and by the time 7am rolled around, I found out that the first 50 people exhausted the entire inventory. I seem to recall Clarendon having a much more pleasant experience last year...

I'm trying to decide on where to show up at 3am :)

9. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

I am still waiting to get a general idea of what the inventory levels are like here this year. I have not received enough of what I would call feedback to really gauge what is available yet. I can say, and not so confidently at this point, that 6s Plus inventory - especially rose gold, is extremely constrained. This is just what I have picked up from mumblings and ramblings from Red Zone staff. I am still waiting to get some whispers from management with a little more detail.

In my experience, which has been the last four years, the line at Clarendon is incredibly civil and there has only been one incident caused by an elderly lady who was extremely confused - not only about the iPhone but about where she was and why she was here. People have always been tolerant of allowing others to leave the line for restroom breaks, to pick up a coffee at Starbucks, or to walk around the corner and grab dinner.

One piece of advice I will share is to not wait until 3:00 AM to arrive. By that time last year, the line was past the Barnes&Noble store and inventory of the new 6 and 6 Plus in the gold color was extremely limited - by that I mean less than 8 units total.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

10. CongressDJ macrumors member

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful. I'm so tempted to try an AT&T store this year... but now Apple has me sucked in with their installment carrot. :) Best deal out there...

My guess is that most people this crazy (like us) to wait in line are fans of the 128 plus. Sounds like the earlier, the better...

11. RoseGoldSeason macrumors newbie

RoseGoldSeason

Hey everyone. Longtime lurker since 2008 here. I met RiderXTC at the Clarendon location yesterday and have been enjoying talking with him and the employees over there. The launch really helps make fall one of the best times of year!

I'm not waiting in line this time around. I snagged the 128GB rose gold 6S during the first hour of pre-orders.

That said, I hesitated on my decision and made an in-store reservation for the 128 GB Space Grey 6S at Clarendon for 10:00 AM. I prefer the black front much more than the white and was afraid that I was making a mistake.

Well, the rose gold has really grown on me, and I won't be needing it anymore. I'm deciding to sell the reservation for $450.

Since the reservation is under my name, I will have to be present with you, which I don't mind.

Feel free to message me or post on this thread if you're interested. Thanks.

- Sohrab

12. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

I have some updates on numbers so reply if you care to know.

13. mistercrabby macrumors newbie

Tell us!

14. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

I have it on very high authority that outside of stock for reservatons, there are 100-200 total devices - the least of which are 6 Plus units. Currently there are approximately 15 people in line most of whom are looking for 6s Plus devices. All I can say is if you do not have a reservation you should get here now.

15. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 6502a

StaceyMJ86

Wow. You can sell your reservations?

16. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

Yes, as long as you show up with the person to whom you sold your reservation. You will be required to show your ID and it must be the same as the person who made the reservation. It does not matter who activates the phone.

Also, please be advised that Apple is not selling any unlocked phones on launch day. Any phone purchased must be activated under a valid carrier plan before leaving the store. Unlocked, full price devices should be available around the December time frame.

17. CongressDJ macrumors member

All excellent information! I am here now… I think I'm at the back of the line. :) Looks to be, I don't know, maybe 30 people… Tough to tell because there are so many people sleeping.

18. JayDH macrumors 6502

Any updates on the line? How many people so far? Have they run out of 6 Plus models? Thanks!

19. CongressDJ macrumors member

I got there at 0300 today. Line was only about 35 people deep. I got to meet RiderXTC, which was very cool (because he's a mini-celebrity now, and because he's a genuinely cool dude)! I was in line surrounded by great people, and we had fun conversations that helped pass the time.

Then all hell broke loose.

The Russian mafia arrived around 0600, dropping off loads of people (in pairs) who began to casually cut in line. At the time this was happening, the Apple Store employees were making rounds with food, and the press was doing interviews. So, it was hard to keep track of who was coming and going. But soon it became evident that where once there were only a few people ahead of me, suddenly there were many. Some of us pointed this out to the Apple employees.

The wonderful store manager, Rita, tried to make a stand. She examined the pictures on my phone (and the phones of others) showing what the line looked like when we arrived. We were able to easily identify some of the worst offenders. With the assistance of local police, she was able to convince some of the line-cutters to go to the back. However, most held their ground. There is only so much Apple can do to combat this, particularly when ABC news is standing right there. She did her best to move some of us up when the time came, but it was already too late by 0815. Almost all of the iPhone Pluses were gone (including the one I wanted).

I walked with one of my new "line friends" up the street to the AT&T store, which had no lines, and had plenty of phones in stock. I was able to get my 128gb Space Gray Plus! However, as I was paying, a runner had been sent from the Apple store saying that the store manager was able to hold some phones for those of us who were there early, but got screwed by line-jumpers. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't in a color I wanted.

However, I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the customer service. And, I learned that RiderXTC had personally vouched for me with the manager (with regards to me getting hosed by line-cutters). Because of his efforts, the store manager was able to locate me at the AT&T Store up the street. Even though it didn't work out for me at Apple, I was able to get what I wanted. I made sure to go back down to the Apple Store and personally thank the manager for everything she did for me! Clarendon will now be my store of choice!

And thanks, Rider, for everything you did! I'm glad you were able to get the ONLY 128gb Rose Gold Plus in stock. You earned it!

20. RoseGoldSeason macrumors newbie

RoseGoldSeason

Wow... Disappointing that people actually cut in line. Sorry to hear that happened.

My 128GB rose gold 6S just came. Loving it so far. It's heavier than I expected but I like it.

21. CongressDJ macrumors member

I noticed that as well. The new 128 is definitely heavier than my old one. Glad you love the rose gold! My wife's should arrive later today! Looks good!

22. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I don't normally shop at any NOVA Apple Stores, but the fact that people can so easily jump in line is infuriating. Why can't Apple Stores have a more organized system for launch day lines? A ticketing system, or Apple employees supervising the line would eliminate this non-sense.

23. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I wish I read this earlier - would tell Manager Bill T. Hi for me.

Guy

24. CongressDJ macrumors member

We asked ourselves the same thing. It may have to do with it being a public sidewalk, or that they don't want employees spending all night policing their customers. But in the end, it is the people in line that can shut this activity down. More often than not, people are afraid to confront the line-hoppers, and so they get away with it. If we spoke up to the Russian mafia in the beginning, instead of quietly hoping they would go away (or, gasp, be afraid of being insensitive!), then we could stop this behavior in its tracks.

25. RiderXTC thread starter macrumors member

I am truly sorry this happend to you and everyone behind you. In the four years that I have been doing this, there has never been a single problem with line cutting. Even the guys from this group that were there all night were particularly loud and obnoxious throughout the night. I spoke to Rita, the most incredible Apple Store manager, about this, and she already has plans to prevent this next year. There will be either extra security or even additional police officers posted outside throughout the night to combat this issue.

While in the store talking to Rita about the situation, she asked if I would go outside and discretely bring you are your two new friends into the store to see if she could accomodate your requests for iPhones. Of course, I was absolutely thrilled to be able to help you out. Unfortunately, you had just left a few minutes prior. Despite my best efforts to literally chase you down, I could not find you. I am happy that it worked out for you at the AT&T store and I hope the other gentlemen were able to get what they wanted.

I look forward to possibly meeting up with you and a few other cool friends that I met this year. Shoot me a PM so that we can keep in touch and maybe get together for lunch sometime. Enjoy your new iPhone. Now, if you will excuse more, I have some sleep to catch up on...