iPhone 6S Leather case design flaw?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 938092, Jan 15, 2016.

1. 938092 Suspended

hey,

So I've now had my amazing iPhone 6s for a couple of days and have had the official apple black leather case on it. The volume buttons are easy enough to press, but the power button requires a lot more effort and makes no clicking sound like the others. When I took it out of the case today, the volume buttons are nice and clucky but the power button appears to be recessed further into the phone and doesn't make that 'clicking' sound. It seems that the case may have caused this permanent damage now or does anyone else have the same thing going on?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Never heard of the Apple case hurting the buttons. Does the button still work when pressed?

If so that is the most important thing.

3. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Yeah it works, but it takes a lot of effort to press in the case and when I take it out it feels recessed and not clicky compared to my iPhone 6.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is why I do not like cases that cover a button.

I bought an Otterbox case for an iPhone long ago and it did not last a day because of the added difficulty in making the buttons hard to press. Even the home button was harder.

There are cases that do not cover the buttons.

5. 938092 thread starter Suspended

This was the official case, I'd assumed it wouldn't cause a problem like this.

6. TFLEX macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I have the exact same case (Brown leather) and the power button does in fact "click", very easily so actually. I'm guessing it's a hardware issue with your phone.

7. 938092 thread starter Suspended

It does click, but it's not audible like the volume buttons and it takes more effort. Would you mind taking off the case and using your thumb or whatever to run along each side of your phone and see if the power button feels further recessed compared to the volume ones?

8. TFLEX macrumors newbie

Just pulled off the case. The buttom seems to be exactly the same as the volume buttons. Makes the same clicking sound too. I'm guessing they are exactly the same.

9. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Damn, so mine is a problem then. What a hassle!

10. Droidzoid Suspended

Droidzoid

Are you sure it's the case causing the problem? Maybe it was like this since day one?

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Give it a couple months. The leather over the buttons will become more flexible, supple after time.

12. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Yes but the button seems different to the rest even with the case off.

13. HEK, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Well you titled the thread case design flaw. So I addressed the case. I remembers some other people mentioning the leather over button became softer with time. As for the button compare it to other phones in store, see how they feel. If you have an issue then see if Apple will exchange phone. I don't want to remove my case, and am not that picky about buttons feeling the same in any case.
    Good luck

14. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The leather case buttons are very stiff when the case is new. This is actually a good way to test if your case is actually new or not if you are buying an open box item. They will either break in over time, or you can speed up the break in process yourself.

First, take the case off the phone. Using your thumb, press in the button much further into the case than you would a normal button press. I like to really bend that portion of the case just to get some flexibility into the leather. Repeat the hard press until you feel that it has been broken in. I think ~100 times should be sufficient. Maybe less. I just did it while I was watching TV. You can do the same for the volume buttons, but I found those to break in much quicker.

Put the case back on, and you should notice a dramatic difference. You should hear a click with the button now, and the tactile feedback should be good. If not, try removing the phone, and putting the case back on. Placement sometimes affects button feel.

At first, I had the same problem. Case was stiff, and could not feel button presses. Now, it is almost like there is no case there at all.

As for damaging your buttons, it is possible that something happened when you put the phone into the case, or when you took it out, but the case itself wouldn't damage the button just sitting inside the case.

15. 938092 thread starter Suspended

The power button is definitely more recessed compared to the two volume buttons, but works fine without the case on so that doesn't really bother me and a few others on reddit have said theirs is recessed slightly as well (would help to know about yours). I just did what you described about 100 times and the volume buttons are fine but the power button still feels spongy and no responsive with the case on. :/ Additionally I've noticed that the case may be a bit small at the bottom because when I put it in I find myself manually pulling up each side at the bottom to get it to fully fit in and even then, the case looks like it goes a little bit wider out at the bottom of the phone.

Appreciate your info.

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Yeah, the tight fit is a common problem with a lot of these cases. I don't think Apple go the measurements right.

I've gone through 3, and 2 of them had the bottoms that flared out.

17. 938092 thread starter Suspended

So that's not normal? Meaning I should get the case replaced?

Does your power button feel slightly recessed compared to the volume ones when out of the case?

Thanks

18. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It is not normal, but it is common. I have seen 2/3 with the flared bottom edges. My current case does not have that problem.

No my power button does not feel recessed. It has a pretty good tactile feel when out of the case.

Apple products have a large range of behaviors when it comes to buttons. On watches, and on iphones, I've seen all sorts of things. I just exchanged 2 iphones for loose home buttons. Current phone has no movement.

I think the people on the assembly line may rush to meet demands. It's actually very uncommon in my experience to find a perfect phone that doesn't have some sort of problem (loose button, button has bad tactile feel, etc.)

19. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Just to clarify what I mean by recessed: If you run your finger along the side of your phone on each side, does the power button feel like it is sticking out less than the volume ones?

20. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

My buttons are all exactly the same in height and feel. May be your power button that wasn't as noticeable without the case. As suggested, go to store and try some other iphones like yours.

21. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

Button is ok but too sliperry. Last years leather case is better grip and fir

22. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Went to a store and checked a mates 6s, both had the button slightly recessed. Bought the silicone case and it works a lot better now.