iPhone 6s on iOS 10.x.x upgrading to iOS 11

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by honeycombz, Aug 10, 2018.

1. honeycombz macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Hey, thinking about upgrading my iPhone 6s to iOS 11. Wondering if I can expect a major decrease in performance or overall will everything be fine?

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Don't do it! My battery has been so bad... Went from 100% to 80% in one hour of usage. I noticed the quick draining right after updating. Been struggling even as we've moved to iOS 11.4.1. It's still horrible.

If you are doing well battery wise, think about this. You can't go back.

3. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Any word on whether or not iOS 12 will be any better for the 6s crew?

4. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

In regards to battery life, performance or both?

My iPhone SE, my secondary iPhone, performs significantly better on iOS 12 beta and battery life is around the same but slightly better (enough to notice) with iOS 12 beta as well.

5. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

6. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

After doing a little research I am almost wondering if I shoukd skip 11 altogether and just go to 12. I was reading about better performance with 12?

7. FeliApple macrumors 6502a

FeliApple

I have a 6s on iOS 9 working perfectly. This topic has been extensively covered, but my opinion is, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Stay. If everything works fine for you, there's no reason to update, to iOS 11, or 12 even.
    I, personally, am staying on iOS 9 for good.

8. Reverend Benny macrumors member

Reverend Benny

Id say just go ahead and do it.
    My family has a mix of 6S, SE, 7 and 8 iPhones and on top of that an ipad 9.7 Pro, Apple watch series one and Apple TV 4, all running the latest version of iOS. ANd there has been no problem whatsoever when it comes to battery.
    The 6S has had the battery swapped out by Apple twice for free, had the second one done a few months ago.
    The reason for it was that the guy said the battery wear/aging was a bit off the charts and shouldn't have degraded that quickly.

Upgrade now 11.4.1 and then wait for 12 to come in a few releases to get the bigger bugs to be sorted.

Happy upgrading

Edit: I know it has been covered but a new battery in my 6S really gave it new life, a proper performance boost.

9. radubraharu macrumors regular

radubraharu

iOS 12 is working faster on the beta versions so far. It is expected to make the phones run smoother. I can confirm this, I used iOS 12 for almost 2 weeks (iPhone SE), but after a few resprings in bad moments I switched back to 11.4.1, but I feel that 12 was quicker. I would wait for the final version of iOS 11, then upgrade

10. andy89 macrumors 6502

11 was working great until recently. Now my battery life is just terrible. I'm hoping they'll address it in a minor update.

11. radubraharu macrumors regular

radubraharu

Probably this is not going to happen. It is not a general problem, I guess that some app is causing the drain

12. StellarVixen macrumors 6502

StellarVixen

From what I've seen, it is best to wait for the iOS 12.

If everything goes like according to what beta tests show, and Apple claims, older devices will run very good on the iOS 12.

13. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I have a 7 plus on 10.3.3 and no issues. I am also hesitant to move to ios 11. But some apps require me to be on the latest one and really thinking about it.

14. chrfr macrumors 604

iOS 11 isn’t getting any more updates.

15. Reverend Benny macrumors member

Reverend Benny