Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you encountered this issue yet?

• Yes

Votes: 695 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 533 43.4%

• Total voters

Jk4657

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
I have been having this problem with my iPhone 5 for a few months now. So can't be just new phones or iOS.

JSandefer

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
I overslept this morning, because my phone quit working overnight! (no alarm) I tried the power button, but it was unresponsive. When I went to try a hard reset, I BURNED my finger on the home button. Took it to an AT&T store, and it burned the rep's finger too. He finally tried doing a hard reset holding the buttons (with finger protected) for 10+ seconds, and it finally restarted.

I'm running iOS 9.1 Beta on my 64GB iPhone 6S.

Borybaby

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Not sure if anyone knew this or tried it, but when my iPhone 6s Plus went off I hit my apple watches find iPhone ping button and the phone was still on. Just a black screen.

alangh

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2005
Rose Gold iPhone 6s running IOS 9.0.1.

The screen was off, and the phone rang. The screen remained dark, but the ringing kept going, but couldn't be answered. The home button was EXTREMELY hot, and the only way to get the screen back on was to hard boot it (home and power buttons)

It was very worrisome just how hot the home button was. It stayed that way until the hard reset. It hasn't happened since, but keeping my eye on it.

Reactions: ArizonaAnnie

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
For the sake of the stat it didn't happen to my iPhone 6...
Since I'm seeing also iPhone 5S and 5 user with this issue I think it's software related, maybe triggered by some settings/ app combination

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'd be curious to know which chip is in the phones of those that have had this issue.
Not related since there are some A8, A7 and even A6 involved...
^macduke, thanks. That is very interesting. Adding that one to the list.

The A9 chip theory
Not to get suspicious yet but the poll so far has 100 samples and has almost an exact 40:60 ratio of people who experienced this issue to people who haven't. Guess what else has a 40:60 ratio? Samsung to TSMC A9 chips. See for yourself.

This theory is flawed because A) not everyone who took the poll has a 6S B) unlikely Apple didn't test the chips to such a poor failure rate C) 6's and and some 5's have the issue, although we lack data still.

Anyways, we just need more information. I am updating a public file soon to aggregate everyone's data.
I was sure people would have thrown this ....

zarysm

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
I've also had this issue happen to me, twice. luckily I naturally wake up a bit before my alarm or I would've missed it.

I have a 6s + 64gb space grey, I'm not sure where to find which processor I have. I'm running the 9.1 beta 3

b-a-r

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Yup, happened twice to me so far. (6s, 128g Space Grey 9.1 Beta 3). Issue happened twice on iOS 9.1 Beta 1, none on Beta 3 so far. Hard re-boot was the only resolution.

thegoodsir

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Ironically, this happened to me like one minute before I saw the macrumors story... (6s+, 64GB silver, 9.1 beta 3)

abiem

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Yeppp my happened a couple times already and I only have the iPhone6 with iOS9 on it. It even happened once while the phone is unlocked -- just suddenly went dark outta nowhere.
Also easiest way to trigger this "shut off" is if you go and change your system language -- after the language changes your system will reboot -- but 4/5 times it won't wake back up itself and pressing the power button won't do anything. You have to hold power + home as described in this issue

If I remember correctly this happened to me both on iOS9.0 and 9.0.1

cnick6

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Bellevue, WA
For those of you who can run Xcode 7 (thus, no $99 developer enrollment needed to install apps from source code), this github repository has source code for a safe app that will tell you which A9 your iPhone 6s is using: https://github.com/WDUK/A9ChipSource

I was just looking at a JetsamEvent diagnostic logs and at the very start they mention the type of kernel. Mine shows /RELEASE_ARM64_S8000 which is what my CPU is... from your test app.

Can you check one of the logs and see if shows the S8003 value? I'm guessing it might...

Obviously this would allow everyone to easily check their 6S phones...

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Since launch day, I have not had this happen a single time. Just for statistics, here's my info:

AT&T iPhone 6s Plus Rose Gold 64gb
Set up as new, not restored
Upgraded to 6.01
Then added the Beta profile
Upgraded to 9.1 Beta 2
Upgraded to 9.1 Beta 3

Have never had the issue.

Keefsloan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Happened twice since Friday. Once when phone was just on desk (not plugged in). And this morning (Friday) when the alarm didn't activate (phone was plugged into charger overnight). Both times the two button reset brought it back to life. No hot home button.

64gb 6s. EE (UK). iOS 9.0.2.

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Happened to me as well while it was on the charger. Took it off to go out and it was shut down (was at 35% when I put it on the charger and full once I restarted it).

UnapologeticallyTechy

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
I've seen this issue twice since 6s release day. First time it seemed to be glitchy notifications (clicked NYTimes notification and received an iMessage at exactly the same time) which caused Notification Center to freeze up, followed by the screen shutting off and the device becoming unresponsive to home/wake buttons. Forced reboot.

Second time was when connecting iPhone to the Apple Lightning Dock. First connection it said "Accessory not supported". I unplugged it and reconnected it, which then sent the device into the unresponsive state in need of another reboot.

iPhone 6s Plus 64 GB (unlocked). First issue: 9.0. Second issue: 9.0.2.

Set up as new device when arrived, not restored from backup.

foundationcitizen

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
I have had about 8 times where my phone turned off for no reason. BUT, unlike others, I simply re-hit the home button and it comes on. I keep thinking I have done something wrong, so it did not really worry me. When I saw the issue on macrumors, I knew I was not crazy.

iPhone 6plus, 128 gb, gold, iOS 9 (although today I upgraded to the latest)

Other than that issue, the phone has been GREAT.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
iPhone 6S 128GB Gold
iOS 9.0.1

1. Plugged iPhone into charger and left on charge overnight.

2. Woke up in the morning and iPhone was off.

3. Held Sleep & Home button for 10 seconds until iPhone restarted.

4. iPhone booted up fine with 100% battery

mashwhe

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Happened to me at least twice so far, with no interaction. Just pulled phone out of pocket and it's dead.

iPhone 6s 128GB SG iOS 9.0.1

Haven't had it with 9.0.2, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.