Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
When an iOS device has twice the performance of its predecessor coupled with twice the RAM, then that iOS device is able to handle newer iOS versions with more stability than iOS devices with less performance bumps and no RAM increases.

For example, the iPhone 3GS was known for its reliability, even with newer iOS versions (because it was the first to double performance and RAM). The iPhone 3G, on the other hand, was barely able to run iOS 4, all because its performance and RAM did not change from the first iPhone.

Another example is the iPhone 5: more than twice the performance of the iPhone 4s and twice the RAM. Remember how fast it was compared to the iPhone 4s running iOS 6?

In my opinion, if the iPhone 6s has twice the performance of even the iPhone 5s and 2GB of LPDDR4 RAM, then it will be like another iPhone 3GS and iPhone 5: fast and reliable for future iOS versions.

Reactions: mari0nne.0505

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
No 2gb ram I'm not getting it
Don't worry, there is no way they would stick with 1GB of RAM for the fourth time in a row. They know many people will upgrade from the iPhone 6 because of the extra RAM. Not to mention to keep up with competitors.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
i want twice performance 6 4.7/5.5
how is that , and
That would be ideal, although there isn't much difference between the A7 and A8 in terms of CPU performance, so twice of either should be fantastic nonetheless.

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
anyone remember this .... apple always say 40X faster ,,,

iPhone-5S-CPU-performance.jpg

i-Z34ss3K-M.jpg

Reactions: rapicell

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Yeah, I remember that slide. The iPhone 4 is a bit higher than it should be though, and the iPhone 4s is also higher than it should be (too close to the iPhone 5). The iPhone 6 slide said 50x faster, so fingers crossed for 100x in the iPhone 6s!

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
hahahha, you must dream .......

get an iphone 4s compare to 4
get an iphone 5s compare to 5

does it fast big different or just a little bit fast ,,,,

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
hahahha, you must dream .......

get an iphone 4s compare to 4
get an iphone 5s compare to 5

does it fast big different or just a little bit fast ,,,,
Actually, I was referring to where the dots in the lines should be. The iPhone 4s is clearly not in the middle of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 in the slide.

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
before i was think iphone can fast last long around 2-3 years i decide to purchase manufactory unlock one ,,,cost me 1,000 , but now almost every years new chip new ios ,,, just think about apps ,they keep update ,,, more update your phone heavy , and slow ,,,

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Don't worry, there is no way they would stick with 1GB of RAM for the fourth time in a row. They know many people will upgrade from the iPhone 6 because of the extra RAM. Not to mention to keep up with competitors.

I also want 2GB of RAM on the next iPhone but that won't be Apple's reason to add more RAM. Out of many million users, we (geeky people who want/care for more RAM) are just a drop in the ocean. Majority of iPhone users do not even know what RAM is.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I also want 2GB of RAM on the next iPhone but that won't be Apple's reason to add more RAM. Out of many million users, we (geeky people who want/care for more RAM) are just a drop in the ocean. Majority of iPhone users do not even know what a RAM is.
You are right, and the proof is in the sales of the iPhone 6.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I also want 2GB of RAM on the next iPhone but that won't be Apple's reason to add more RAM. Out of many million users, we (geeky people who want/care for more RAM) are just a drop in the ocean. Majority of iPhone users do not even know what RAM is.

Agreed! I bet less than 1% of the iPhone users even know how much RAM their iPhone has.

We forget that it is US, in these forums, it is WE that are not normal!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ABC5S

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
each iphone will be fast enough for 3 iOS update. after that, youll need a new one.
That's all that matters. 40x and 50x or any other metric like that don't matter on a phone. All apps will be updated to be optimized to the newest hardware, leaving the old behind.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
each iphone will be fast enough for 3 iOS update. after that, youll need a new one.
That's all that matters. 40x and 50x or any other metric like that don't matter on a phone. All apps will be updated to be optimized to the newest hardware, leaving the old behind.
The only exceptions being the iPhone and the iPhone 3G.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
The average user won't notice the speed difference between the iPhone 6 & 6s.
You might be right. The last time I saw a significant speed difference was the iPhone 5 running iOS 6 against the iPhone 4s. The iPhone 5 even ran at pretty much the same speed as the iPhone 5s (when both were at iOS 7).

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
That depends what you mean by "fast enough". The iPhone 5 supported 3 years of updates much better than the iPhone 4S did, and likely better than the iPhone 6 will. If you buy a phone the model year before they make a major spec jump such as going from 512MB of RAM to 1GB, or 1GB to 2GB, they will add more and more features now that the new phones support it, meaning that the older phones will either perform more slowly or won't get nearly as many of the new features.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

iPhone-5S-CPU-performance.jpg

i-Z34ss3K-M.jpg

Yeah, I remember that slide. The iPhone 4 is a bit higher than it should be though, and the iPhone 4s is also higher than it should be (too close to the iPhone 5). The iPhone 6 slide said 50x faster, so fingers crossed for 100x in the iPhone 6s!

Actually, I was referring to where the dots in the lines should be. The iPhone 4s is clearly not in the middle of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 in the slide.

Each time they promise huge speed increases but in real life it will be hard to notice. The extra features are what I am looking for as the extra speed will do little most the time.

It wasn't 40x or 50x faster than the last iPhone. It was that faster than the first iPhone.

And it doesn't matter as app and iOS software developers will push it until it slows the device down. That's the nature of the it all.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
That depends what you mean by "fast enough". The iPhone 5 supported 3 years of updates much better than the iPhone 4S did, and likely better than the iPhone 6 will. If you buy a phone the model year before they make a major spec jump such as going from 512MB of RAM to 1GB, or 1GB to 2GB, they will add more and more features now that the new phones support it, meaning that the older phones will either perform more slowly or won't get nearly as many of the new features.
I agree with this, the iPhone 6 and 6+ will likely not run iOS 10 without hiccups.

Reactions: Demo Kit

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
that mean 3 more months iphone 6/6plus throw away and get new one for speed up -@

throw away mean - sell it or keep it using backup

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.