Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bidwellian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Does anyone know what is missing from iTunes that prevents a newer iPhone from syncing with older iTunes?

I know I could just upgrade iTunes, but I can't stand 12, they oversimplified the interface and deleted all the graphics...it's just white? (I digress...)

I noticed there is a file called iPhone acknowledgment? Maybe this is the key?

Thank in advance!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you want your iPhone to run the latest version of iOS and you want to still be able to sync with it then you need to upgrade iTunes.

Simple as that.

PS. There is no iPhone 6SE. There is the iPhone SE - that's all.

bidwellian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
It is very simple to upgrade to latest iTunes, but I don't want it. I like iTunes 11

My point is to extract the drivers from the iTunes12 installer...and was hoping someone else know something about that.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Has anyone here ever heard about a success with adapting an unsupported iTunes to work with a newer iPhone?
I don't recall seeing that, but then I don't always notice reports about things like that - but, good luck, bidwellian.
Not sure if it will be worth it in the end, though.

bidwellian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
I tried copying files over from the new itunes into the old itunes but couldn't get the right combination of files to get it to work.

I also fiddled with the .plists inside the app but no success.

The only way around is to have a separate partition with the new itunes on it so I can get my darn pictures off my phone.

It's too bad we don;t have separate device installers like windows have. On the mac, all the drivers come with an itunes installation.

I don't want to use itunes 12 or anything after that they wrecked a good app.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I tried copying files over from the new itunes into the old itunes but couldn't get the right combination of files to get it to work.

I also fiddled with the .plists inside the app but no success.

The only way around is to have a separate partition with the new itunes on it so I can get my darn pictures off my phone.

It's too bad we don;t have separate device installers like windows have. On the mac, all the drivers come with an itunes installation.

I don't want to use itunes 12 or anything after that they wrecked a good app.
When Apple released iTunes 10.6.4 for Snow Leopard and above I tried pretty much the same to see if I could get my then iPhone 5 to sync with a PowerPC Mac

I had the same level of success you did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.