iPhone 7+ 128gb, came with cosmetic issues out of the box.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Sep 26, 2016.

1. SRLMJ23, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

So I was part of the infamous "8:01" crew, that was supposed to get their iPhones last Wednesday, then UPS pushed it back to Thursday, then Friday, and then I got my phone on Saturday. Well, the phone came with some issues out of the box. On the top right hand corner of the phone where the power button used to be on iPhones, is what looks like an issue where the paint or whatever was not applied right..almost looks like it got dropped in the factory or something, it's weird. Also, there is a weird what looks like a scratch on the screen, however, when you run your nails over it nothing catches so to me that would seem like some issue with how the coating on the screen was applied or something. It does not effect the screen in anyway as far as viewing, however, I do not want something in say 3 months to happen where the screen does something crazy because of that weird "scratch." The thing is the top scratch would not bother me because once I get my case from Apple that will be covered up, however, the screen part as I mentioned does concern me.

So anyway, got on the phone with Apple Support AGAIN (so many times last week concerning the shipping issues with my phone) and was moved to a really nice senior advisor who is helping me get a new phone shipped out to me sometime this week. She is going to call me tomorrow to tell me what progress she has made. Obviously I cannot go to any Apple Store and get a new one, and I do NOT want a refurbished phone after only having the phone for two days, and it came like this out of the box on day one! There was an issue with if they could put a hold on my card, so she is seeing if she can get them to send me a new phone without putting a hold on my card and then once I get the new phone, send the "old" (two day old) phone back. So hopefully she can get it done!

Just curious, anyone else here get any phones with cosmetic damages out of the box? I know it has happened in the past with other iPhone models. Anyway, thanks for reading and if you respond back, thank in advance! Have a good one.

:apple:

2. transam7816 macrumors regular

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

No way Apple has refurbs to use for service replacements 10 days after a launch.

Out of the box, my mom's had a scratch along the top of the front glass, and the speakers didn't work. Made an appt. at the Apple Store the next day and they swapped it out with no fuss. In and out in 20 minutes.

The other two in the family were perfect out of the box.

4. Gooberton macrumors 65816

5. medenblik macrumors regular

medenblik

Both of mine were perfect.

Yeah shows some pics

6. yankeebobo macrumors regular

yankeebobo

I want to know why everyone has this itch for pictures. I don’t think every post that describes physical characteristics requires a picture. The OP described the issue clearly. The fine detail doesn’t matter. A mark is a mark.

Pics, or it didn’t happen? Meh

7. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I meant I do NOT want a refurbished phone. Sorry for the confusion!

--- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    I agree with YankeeBoBo, why is everyone so obsessed with pictures? I am not lying, why would I lie about marks in the paint, and some sort of "scratch" on the screen? Why would I go through this huge hassle if it was not true? Some people really make no sense to me. I guess that means that you do not believe Aristobrat, even though he took his one phone that came with a scratch along the top of the screen out of the box and had it replaced by Apple?

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

No worries, it's usually a few weeks after a launch before they have refurbished phones to use. They use brand-new ones for replacements until then.

9. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We've seen some photos posted by anal-retentive members and cannot "see" their issues, so they're still useful to assess whether the issues are significant or if the member is simply being overly anal retentive.

10. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yeah the Senior Apple Advisor who is managing my case thinks I should get a brand new phone no matter what, since I just got my phone on Saturday. So she is trying to get a brand new phone sent to me without putting a hold on my card because there is some problem with doing the hold. I would take a refurbished unit if it were like 3-4 months after I got the phone but not as soon as I opened it!

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Then show a pic.... you came to whine to us so prove it.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How many times do we have to tell you that all white box replacements are brand new rather than remanufactured at this point?

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

the phones arent refurbs yet its been 10 days since release come on people.

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

No, Your comment is useless on this thread. The OP explained everything clearly, there is no expectation to provide pictures of the issues. Pictures are helpful, but not necessary.

15. SRLMJ23, Sep 26, 2016

SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Here you go: I could not get a good picture of the scratch on the screen because the reflection from the light or if I used flash you just cannot see it. Though you can see where there is a weird gap where the glass meets the metal. I'll try and get a good picture of the scratch on the glass.

PS: I know what is coming next. Ohh, that is nothing...you are just anal about it. However, like I said, I cannot get a picture of the scratch on the screen. I even admitted in my original post I could live the with the paint mark on the top because my case will cover it. The scratch on the screen is what bothers me and the scuff in the top right hand corner. Call me anal-retentitive all you want, I bet even though you won't admit it, if you opened your brand new iPhone and saw the marks I have on my phone you would want a new one. Also, I know that refurb units are sometimes better than brand new iPhones, what my Apple case manager is saying is that I shouldn't have to get a refurb because my phone is 2 damn days old! She agrees that if it were her she would want a brand new one sealed in the box! I spent almost $1,000 on this phone!!! Come on now.

Attached Files:

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I can see the mark in the first two pics. Any chance it's something scrapped on that can be removed? Have you tried removing it? Another member found a scratch out of the box but it turned out to be something scrapped on and it eventually came off.

Can't make out what you're talking about in the last two photos though. Elaborate?

17. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried to do. I used an alcohol wipe to see if I could get it off, but nothing. There is a scratch in the upper right hand of the phone and one over the top speaker grill, however, I was taking the pictures with my iPad Pro (9.7") but due to lighting and the reflection of the iPad Pro because the iPhone is so shiny I cannot get a good picture. Trust me I tried. If I turn my lights down and put the flash on you cannot see anything either. Also if you look at the third picture, look north east of the top speaker grille and look at the gap between where the glass is supposed to meet the metal back.

18. yankeebobo macrumors regular

yankeebobo

Wow. Whine? You obviously don’t understand the definition of whining or hang out on Facebook too much. I read no whining in the post. Simple advice seeking and recommendation. How about trying to put yourself in their shoes.

Social forums are not judge and jury but apparently you require evidence for simple advice.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's a bulge, right? If so, simply get it swapped out as that's not normal.

20. SRLMJ23, Sep 26, 2016

SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

At least someone understands. Like I said, I paid almost $1,000 for this phone. Any cosmetic damage is really unacceptable. I mean I have seen people get a new iPhone for less than what I have wrong with my phone.

Also, like yankeebobo said, we should be supporting each other in this forum not bashing. Like I said, I bet if you went through what I did to actually get the phone due to shipping, and then get it, open it and see marks and scratches on your iPhone you would want a brand new one in a sealed box. Also the two closest Apple stores to me (which are more than an hour away each) have no replacement phones, refurbished or brand new. I have the AT&T Matte Black iPhone 7 Plus 128gb. So that is why I am going through an Apple Senior Advisor to hopefully get a new one shipped out soon and get it this week.

--- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    Exactly. I just got a messed up phone, I have no clue how it passed QC!

21. AFDoc, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Lots of people are asking to see pics... (so many so he posted them) that's typical in a forum setting when someone complains about "cosmetic issues out of the box". Don't like whine? Ok complain, gripe, moan, sob, grouse, grumble, wail.... pick your synonym.

I understand.... If I had issues out of the box I'd certainly get the phone exchanged. I wouldn't need advice from others, I wouldn't run to a forum to discuss it.... I'd just do it. I support you.... do what every you need to do to be happy. IF you've been around the MR community you'd know why people want to see pics.... some people are WAY too "picky" about their phones. Any little mark and they need a replacement.... sometimes as many as 5-6 replacements. I had ano issues with my darker iPhones throughout time..... it seems pretty typical on some dark units.

22. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I was not seeking any advice on what to do. I had already called Apple way earlier yesterday before I even made this post. I was just asking if anyone else had cosmetic issues out of the box. I cannot simply go to an Apple Store and get it replaced because the closest Apple Store to me has no refurbs or new units, and no store in the U.S. has any according to www.istocknow.com. So Apple is trying to figure out a way to get me a new unit. Looks like I am pretty screwed for a while though. At least the phone works!

23. XRichard23 macrumors regular

image.png Just got mine and it has a small scratch out of the box as well. I am inclined to just keep it but then again it is reall an expensive device it shouldn't have any scuffs

24. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I just wanted to let everyone know how my situation ended. The Apple Senior Advisor I was working with finally got me a replacement from the closest Apple Store to me, which is in Syracuse, NY. It is almost 2 hours away. So anyway, the called me on a Monday and said she had one set aside for me at the store, well when I got there, they didn't have any. Apparently an employee at the store didn't get the managers note or something about saving it for me and they sold it to someone else, so waste of my time & gas.

So the next day (this past Tuesday) she called me and told me they just got a new shipment in and this time the manager at the Apple Store is handling the hold for me. So right I was getting ready to leave, UPS pulled up and had my free Apple Leather Case (Ocean Blue) for the shipping problems I went through earlier. So I drove out to the Apple Store, and sure enough they had my iPhone 7 Plus, 128gb, Black, AT&T. I had a screen protector on my original iPhone, so they gave me a new Belkin one and used that machine to get it perfectly lined up with no air bubbles or anything like that, pretty impressed with that machine actually. The manager also offered me a free case but I told I had just got my case today, then she noticed I had an Apple Watch on (Series 1, Sport, SB) so she offered me a new watch band, so I took the Black Nylon band.

So when my Apple Senior Advisor called me back, she was very happy I got my new iPhone and then she offered me something I was completely not expecting. She has offered me $150.00 to spend on the Apple Online Store. So I am still deciding what I want to get, but I am very happy with Apple's customer service! Even though I had to wait a while but at least my first phone worked and I wasn't without a phone for 10 days.

Just wanted to give you an update on how things went. Later.

25. cantankerously macrumors regular