Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone users that elect not to use iCloud storage will be pleased to learn that another source has thrown its weight behind at least one iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus model having 256GB of flash storage.

iPhone_256GB.jpg

DigiTimes, citing industry sources, is the latest to claim the iPhone 7 will feature up to 256GB of storage, corroborating previous reports from Chinese website MyDrivers and Taiwanese research firm TrendForce.
NAND flash vendors have increased chip prices citing strong demand for new smartphones particularly the iPhone 7 featuring up to 256GB of storage, according to industry sources. Prices will keep soaring until the fourth quarter of 2016.
In July, The Wall Street Journal confirmed the iPhone 7 will start with 32GB of storage, replacing the infamous 16GB base tier offered since the iPhone 3GS. Accordingly, the new storage options for the iPhone 7 could be 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB, but it remains unclear if the 256GB tier will be exclusive to the larger 5.5-inch model as some sources have indicated.

The current storage options for both the iPhone 6/6 Plus and iPhone 6s/6s Plus series include 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB, with the 16GB base model in particular drawing the ire of some customers who have long hoped for a larger capacity at the entry-level price point. This year, it appears that Apple has finally acknowledged the desire for larger storage tiers at both the top and bottom of its iPhone lineup.

Article Link: 256GB Storage Rumor Gaining Steam as iPhone 7 Launch Approaches

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wow, that's a lot of internal storage for the iPhone!

My storage needs are rather meager in comparison. I was quite happy with the 32GB iPhone 5s when I had it. Now I have the 64GB 6s only because 32GB wasn't offered any longer. 16GB was too small for me.

But most of my storage needs aren't necessary beyond the 32GB since my music and video is streamed rather than stored.

However, for those that need more storage, 256GB should suffice I hope!

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Thank the lord. Everyday is a struggle with my 16gb, deleting pictures, apps, etc is almost a daily occurrence. Nothing is worse than going somewhere and trying to capture an important moment, but not being able to take a video/picture (out of storage again!) because Apple had to be stingy with the memory.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Thank the lord. Everyday is a struggle with my 16gb, deleting pictures, apps, etc is almost a daily occurrence. Nothing is worse than going somewhere and trying to capture an important moment, but not being able to take a video/picture (out of storage again!) because Apple had to be stingy with the memory.

Why didn't you just buy 64 or 128 Gb ? I just went and bought :)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Damn 256GB? I'm going to need another hard drive on my computer just to back up my back up.

Very good point! Although there are a lot of criticisms floating about lately about Apple's rMBP line not being updated, I still think they're the finest portables on the market. The main criticism I'd argue would be the storage capacity and high price of storage upgrades.
[doublepost=1471448689][/doublepost]

Yeah, how dare people not have as much disposable income as you! ;)

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Very good point! Although there are a lot of criticisms floating about lately about Apple's rMBP line not being updated, I still think they're the finest portables on the market. The main criticism I'd argue would be the storage capacity and high price of storage upgrades.

Its is just 100 dollar difference. Or 20 cups of cappucino

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth

If $100 is going to make or break you, you really shouldn't be buying a $650+ cell phone...

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010

Didn't want to perpetuate the system of Apple ripping people off on storage.
If $100 is going to make or break you, you really shouldn't be buying a $650+ cell phone...
You do realize that pretty much everyone poor or rich has a smart phone nowadays. It's pretty much a necessity...also they're not paid off in flat chunks usually. It's not going to make or break me, which is why I chose not to take part in paying extra for storage that should be standard. It was a ripoff.

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
The problem isn't the amount of memory storage..it's the pricing structure. It doesn't and shouldn't cost $100 for every incremental jump...which is why people like microsd cards. I bet the difference in price between a 32gb card and a 256 gb is not $400 which is what apple would have you believe.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

A lot of people buy used, buy on contract, get free devices from work... I'd still be using my iPhone 4, had iOS 7 not completely killed it.

I was somewhat forced into upgrading to a usable device, as I'm stuck in the Apple ecosystem. So I jumped to the 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.