iPhone 7 Dallas Stores

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by madhu1989, Sep 9, 2016.

1. madhu1989 macrumors regular

Hello guys,

This will be my first time standing in queue to get the iPhone. My pre-order was a disaster. I could use some valuable inputs from people who have stood in line and experienced it before. I am thinking of heading to Northpark. Can anyone comment on whether this is advisable? I am open to other suggestions too.

Feel free to comment below

TIA.

2. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors newbie

NorthPark is probably the worst option unless you're Usain Bolt. Mall security makes everyone stay across the street until 5am and basically fires a starting pistol and everyone runs across the street like the damn Hunger Games. Look on YouTube for video.

I've done it at Willowbend and Southlake. Southlake is a better environment outside, not in a fume-filled hot-ass parking garage with a speaker telling you where you parked every 20 seconds right above your head.

However, this past year they did an "electronic reservation system" right before Southlake opened instead of the cards they did in years prior. A friend of mine had issues because they did this right before the store opened, like minutes before, and they couldn't get his to go through. While they were having issues with this one employee's app, the other employees continued down the line, "selling out" the phone he wanted even though he was #5 in line (I was 6 and getting a lesser-demanded phone). He was super-angry about it, and probably won't ever camp out again as a result.

As a result, I don't really want to camp out by myself, so I'm probably not camping this year, which is sad, since it's been a yearly tradition since the iPhone 5 (except for the 5s which I did not get).

Edit: The starting pistol was hyperbole. It's more like a fat security guard in a golf cart saying "you can come across now."

3. madhu1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha. Well explained! Thank you so much for your detailed post! Much appreciated.

Looking at it from a different perspective - From what I heard, Northpark is probably the biggest store in the DFW area. Having said this, its reasonable to assume that they would be getting more iPhone units compared to other stores. I might be wrong, but please feel free to correct me.

And a few questions for you, if you don't mind -

As far as Willowbend is concerned, isn't it too part of a mall? How did the security handle the crowd? Which store did you queue up last year? What time do you think I should stand in line, considering the store size and popularity along with the proportional number of units its expected to receive ?

TIA

4. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors newbie

Willowbend queues in the parking garage outside Nordstrom starting at the mall entrance there. It goes left as you're looking at the door. You can use the bathroom in Nordstrom until it closes at 9. I had no issue getting a 64gb 6+ space gray 2 years ago and I was about 75 in line. Security lets you queue up even while the mall is open. This could vary by year but it's the same the last 2 years.

I camped at Southlake last year but I "interviewed" various stores and mall security at the last minute on how they were handling everything.

The good thing about freestanding stores and Knox and Southlake is you don't have to care about mall security or policies.

Both places felt safe to me. Plano police rolled through the parking garage many times and Southlake is, well, Southlake.

5. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors newbie

Oh regarding time I got in line around 7pm when I was about 75th in line at Willowbend.

In Southlake, my friend got in line at #5 around noon and saved me a spot and I was there about 2pm and there were maybe 5 more people behind me at that time. They were cool with it since we were all so far toward the front.

6. madhu1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! So your recommendation to me is to either head to Willowbend or Southlake, and avoid Northpark altogether?

To be frank with you, I am a little hesitant about Southlake as its quite far from where I live (Richardson). It would be such a bummer, if i were to go all the way only to find out that I can't secure a spot well ahead. I am rooting for the Jet Black 7+ 128gb. I am sure most of the buyers would be as well. I recall reading somewhere that the Jet Blacks are highly limited. So I am guessing I need to get in line nothing beyond #10, to be assured of getting one.

7. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors newbie

I live in Allen basically so I feel your pain. I went there because it's where my friend from another state wanted to line up to avoid mall security issues. I would say if you want to play the hunger games at 5am go to NorthPark. Otherwise line up whenever at Willowbend.

Bring really really good headphones if you are 1-10 in line. That speaker by the door announcing where you parked will drive you insane overnight. Also good luck with the most popular size/color/plus combo. :)

8. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors newbie

PS Willowbend will let you into the mall at 6:30 in groups. They handle it really well. The store itself will open at 8 and then they bring the inside queue to another queue right outside the store. It's a bunch of steps but they have it all down really well.

At Southlake it's just a line right from the doors around the building, obviously. Same at Knox.

9. madhu1989, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

madhu1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent! Makes sense. I will probably drive around on thursday to these stores to get a feel of how things look like and then decide.

Thank you once again for your inputs ! Totally appreciate it!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2016 ---
    Sorry. A Couple of more questions. How's the parking scene at Southlake and Willowbend? Which one is the bigger store between the two?

10. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors newbie

Parking is fine at both. At Willowbend, it's a parking garage, and if you get there on a Thursday night, it's not going to be full. At Southlake, it's street parking all over that outdoor mall area. Finding a spot if you're getting there on a Thursday night or day shouldn't be an issue. In fact, once people leave for the night, you can probably move your car right in front of you.

Southlake feels bigger, but I think that's just due to the natural light. They are probably both about the same. Knox and NorthPark are much larger (at least in my head).

11. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Like people have said, avoid NP unless you feel like getting a workout. I've only camped out at Knox and they usually have things handled quite well there (even that year they were remodeling). My friend and I will probably line up around 10pm tomorrow.

12. madhu1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I am planning to stay away from Northpark. Thank you for the inputs! Based on your past experience, do you think the store is big enough for Apple to allocate sufficient number of units?

Also, i read somewhere that this time Apple has decided to take a different approach for walk ins. Apparently, most stores will either carry no stock or limited stock. I hope this is not true. Which model/color are you planning to get?

13. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Knox is a decent sized store so they always seem to have a pretty good amount of stock available on launch day. Hopefully these new rumors aren't true, or else we might end up not lining up! We were both interested in getting the Black 7+ in 128GB.

14. madhu1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to burst your bubble! Its official.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/15/iphone-7-plus-and-jet-black-iphone-7-sold-out/

15. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors newbie

16. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Ditto. Saved a lot of people frustrations. Oh well, I can wait a month or two!

17. CedricEarl macrumors regular

CedricEarl

Any updates on lines anywhere? Knox!?

18. jap1198 macrumors 6502

I second that. Is there a line yet at Knox?

19. madhu1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you guys planning to queue up (unless you plan on getting the 7, not 7+).?

20. CedricEarl macrumors regular

CedricEarl

Update: I'm at att in Addison since its around the corner. I woke up and got here around 7. Apparently the majority of the line came for a plus in black or jet black. Needless to say I've been here for 30 minutes and was able to get a reserve ticket for a 128 gold plus. Works for me. Just what I wanted

21. madhu1989 thread starter macrumors regular

22. jap1198 macrumors 6502

We ultimately decided not to. My friend called Apple yesterday evening and asked them if they would have any 7+ for walk-ins and the person over the phone said yes, which was totally weird. We figured he had just misheard us. Hopefully everyone got a phone today!

23. madhu1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Mine doesnt reach me before 10/4-10/10. But I desperately wanted to atleast see a jet black and black side by side. So I visited the apple store at NP only to find out that they dont have any jet blacks on display. I had a look at the black and was about to leave, but just checked with one of the store reps whether they had any clue on which store has the JB on display. Fortunately, the rep i spoke to was at Willowbend earlier today and confirmed that they have one on display there. I rushed there and got to spend some time with it.

To be frank both look amazing! however, I am more inclined to the jet black. only reason is cause it feels like youre palms are touching a glass surface. I was astonished on how apple engineered this phone to make metal feel like glass. the black felt like holding any other 6/6s phone.

Downside is that the JB is indeed a finger print magnet. Can get nasty fingerprints within hours of holding it. And i already saw a few scratches on the back. But i think ill get the jet black and maybe live with the scratches :p cause it feels and look awesome!