iPhone 7 has one of the best smartphone displays...ever..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drumstr, Sep 20, 2016.

1. drumstr macrumors newbie

2. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

Had my 7+ out in the sunlight next to a 6 today. I could barely read the 6's screen, the 7+ is excellent in sunlight though.

3. sbharj macrumors member

I've noticed that my 7 has a much nicer, more vibrant display than the 6/6S, and can't argue with the science in the reports stating how amazing the display is, but... still doesn't look as impressive as the Samsung S7 to my eye.

4. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Everybody i know who owns a 7 plus is complaining about the crappy dull yellowish screen.
    It is terrible compared to my 6s plus. No contrast, not enough brightness and yellowish greys.
    There are dozens of websites explaining how to calibrate the screen and with some solutions for the yellow cast but the screen just isn't bright enough.
    Also the color shift depending on the viewing angle is horrible.
    I am really pissed off that again we are getting screwed with lies of screen brightness and color accuracy... :mad:

5. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Interesting. Looking at my 7 plus and 6s plus right now side by side. Night and day. The 7 plus is not only brighter but the clarity seems more clear and crisp. Loving the color out of this phone.

6. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

HI Mike thanks for your reply. can u show a picture of them side by side? I don't know if it's the case, but sometimes, Apple has screen suppliers. I might have the bad one... :) Thanx

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Same here. beautiful display. the color gamut is outstanding.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    Is there a link to see who made the display in our iPhone 7's?

8. Rbtrucking macrumors member

It may have the best display for an iPhone which it should considering it's the latest one but this screen isn't touching the Note 7's or galaxy s7.

9. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

it's the only phone maker even using LCD displays so sure it's the best.

everyone else is up to date using OLED

10. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

I don't care about tests. I can clearly see the difference and it sucks big time. I am hoping I have one of the bad ones from on of the 2 suppliers. I have an appointment at the genius bar on thursday. hopefully they will have a replacement with the "good" screen.

11. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

Yeah! Burnt in screens for the win!

/sarcasm

12. Rbtrucking macrumors member

You must have a bad one because I'm coming from the 6s plus and the 7 plus is noticeably better. As I said, not as good as the note, but noticeably better than the previous iPhone.

13. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

The fact that Apple is switching to OLED next year?! I'm looking forward to seeing your source.

14. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Yea. Why does OLED do that!?! When I worked at AT&T, the Samsung phones were the only ones that we would have to replace the demo units on. The screens would have burnt in images of the demo reels. They wouldn't even fade away.

15. goofy1958 macrumors regular

You did read the part where they said it was the best screen on any smartphone, right? Not just LCD.

16. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

because they have to line up deals with Applied Materials and others years in advance...we pretty much know the specs- just like we knew the specs for the one that just came out. hard to keey any secrets these days

have not heard even one rumor about them using mLCD. Link?

17. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

I'm still waiting for you to post your source which states that it's a fact that Apple's gonna switch to OLED. Or may it be that you're just a trolling bigmouth who doesn't even know the difference between a rumor and a fact, let alone anything about OLED burn-in?

18. goofy1958 macrumors regular

My bad fingers. It's micro LED, not LCD. Sorry for the confusion. I still think they will skip OLED entirely.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...y-until-micro-led-displays-are-ready.1990407/

19. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

possible! when you hear CEOs of cos talking about what apple is doing next year - they using the words OLED which can be a lot of subsets. usually apple makes use of it's acqusitions tho. maybe it's some mix of tech.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...y-until-micro-led-displays-are-ready.1990407/[/QUOTE]
    oh my lord - not another one of these burn in people is going to stop apple from using OLED. they have it on the watch? you know that right?

there is no such thing as a fact that apple will do X until they ship it so your question is pedantic. all of the leaks say they are making the shift 2017 including production commitments with vendors. those usaully have big breakup fees so while it's possible you might be right probably close to 0% that you are.

20. rulymammoth macrumors member

I don't think it's debatable that OLED screens produce better images, it's just that they come with side effects like screen burn-in.

But the bigger issue here is how much it even matters on a daily basis. My new iPhone's screen is just gorgeous to look at and I'm not exactly whipping out a Samsung phone every five minutes to compare the two. iPhones have always had outstanding displays. The newest one is no exception.