Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
So plugged in my iPhone 7 to charge and it turned itself off. When i powered it back up this appeared on screen. Really Apple?
iphone.jpg

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
Appointment already set for tomorrow.

Interesting thing is that this was after the phone got wet. Used a wet paper towel to clean the phone off to put on a new case and that was the end. How is this supposed to survive a meter down for a half hour if a wet paper towel did her in. Oh well I'll have a new one tomorrow after a 9 hour restore from backup

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas

Interesting thing is that this was after the phone got wet. Used a wet paper towel to clean the phone off to put on a new case and that was the end. How is this supposed to survive a meter down for a half hour if a wet paper towel did her in. Oh well I'll have a new one tomorrow after a 9 hour restore from backup
The warranty does not cover water damage.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008

This is a coincidence, and definitely not a reason to doubt the IP67 rating of the device. :)

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Used a wet paper towel to clean the phone off

If that's a jet black iPhone (or any other finish, in fact), I wouldn't risk using a wet paper towel to clean it.

I recently used a wet paper towel to clean around the knobs on a brand new brushed stainless steel hob. BIG mistake, as it scratched the metal badly. Who knew?

Don't know whether the same would apply to the iPhone's finish, but Apple does say that the jet black is susceptible to small scratches, so I'd personally stick to using a soft cloth on your replacement.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016

Towel was probably just a coincidence.

Reactions: JulesJam

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

I use micro fiber lens cleaning cloths with a bit of alcohol.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Yes and it worked at first then started spazzing out. The Haptic engine kept firing 3-4 times in a row for every "press". I restarted again and it's back to not working.

WTF, this literally just started happening for me after reading this article

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.