iPhone 7: How to charge and listen to wired headphones at the same time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Woodcrest64, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

How can you listen to wired headphones and charge your phone at the same time? I like to have my iPhone plugged into a 3.5mm jack in my car and leave it charging. Will I be able to do that somehow via an adapter?

2. ichii macrumors 6502a

ichii

Don't think you can, unless someone comes out with an adapter

3. urkel macrumors 68030

I think its a niche problem but for me then I have kids so a lot of times I have Sirius playing on the car stereo and a charging iPhone with one earbud on to listen to podcasts.

I'm definitely getting the 7+ but I am curious what the solution is for people like me.
    (BTW. Please dont say wireless ear pods because those things would get lost in a second.)

4. Bino1970 macrumors newbie

I use a MPOW Bluetooth 4.0 adapter. You connect it to your 3.5mm AUX Jack, that way your phone would still be changing. That's what I do now in one of my cars. It's works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I've been using the MPOW Bluetooth Receiver in one of my cars. It's terrific. My phone is always charged/charging and the sound is great via bluetooth. I was really impressed. I bought a few for family and friends. Try it out. Here's the link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJMV0GU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. macduke Suspended

macduke

I bought this a few weeks ago for the Subaru Outback Limited I bought, which is a few years old, but only had BT profiles for phone calls and not streaming audio for whatever reason. The MPOW works great! But I bought this model instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010HSRVVA/. That model is better for the car because it has a line-signal cleaner that cleans up feedback from having the audio plugged into the same system as the power source in the vehicle. I had an older adapter before and it was no fun with noise on the line. Second of all, it automatically turns on and off with the car (as long as you have a new-ish car that turns the USB ports or cigarette adapters on and off with the vehicle). Believe it or not, some adapters don't turn on with the car, but they'll turn off when the power is cut—UNLESS they have a built-in battery, which my old one did. So it would never turn on with the car, and always stay on and connected to my phone, even when I went inside, which was super annoying. The MPOW doesn't have a battery and just works. I haven't tested the BT calling much, but I don't talk on the phone much anymore, and I just use Hey Siri to activate Siri using the iPhone's mics.

6. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

Since iPhone 4 I had to charge and listen to wired headphones less than 10 times. You use your phone over the day and you charge it at night. Another way is to get bluetooth headphones, I've had mine for 4 years or so, they're SO good you have no idea.

Anyway, I see no problems here. Time to move on.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, Apple didn't say, but it certainly looks like you can't do it.

8. pcmacgamer macrumors regular

Stop with the apple appoligies

It's a serious concern

9. aidler macrumors member

That's what I call real innovation that took some courage. When I now come home after a long workday with a near empty battery in my iPhone I can no longer listen to my music without annoying my wife or the kids and recharge at the same time.... that's made my life better right there.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Right now you can use a dock. Or wait for a third party (or maybe even Apple) to release a dongle.

11. menist macrumors regular

menist

4-5 hours on bluetooth vs all day on 3.5? Bluetooth is not ready for the limelight because of battery life.

I don't think one will be made because of safety issues, you could potentially execute your self if it all goes wrong. Your inner ear is vulnerable to electricity.

12. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

If you're using AirPods sure, 5 hours of battery life but 15 mins of charging gives you 3 more hours. I have sennheiser headphones, which last 9 hours with old bluetooth 2.0

13. aidler macrumors member

I'm sorry but I don't want to buy a new adapter from a third party or from apple. I own have half a dozen 3.5 headphones that work perfect if there is a connector.

14. noobinator macrumors 601

Sounds like the iPhone 7 isn't for you.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I was imply answering the question for the OP. Whether you or he or anyone else cares to do this is up to the individual. It doesn't change the fact that it is the correct answer to the question.
    1. Buy air pods
    2. Use one bud at a time
    3. Profit

In all seriousness I am completely joking. But I wonder if that would work...

16. Macalway, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

I find it amusing that some people think that wanting to continue doing something (wired + Charge) you've done everyday for 10 years (or more) is unreasonable.

I'll tell you what's unreasonable: Having to end a call or music, because your out of power and there's nothing you can do about it.

Actually, there is something you can do. There's a USB charge-through lighting adapter Apple makes now ($$$). You can use these with a USB audio interface and headphones (while draining the battery at light speed, or course :D ). But if it's plugged in and charging, that's moot. Of course carrying around a huge USB audio interface and a power station might not be pleasant.

17. aidler macrumors member

Yea. I'm stuck on my iPhone 6S+ as long as Apple can't produce a reasonable use case for removing the 3.5 connector.
    Mate I just attack what I hate ;-)

18. Macalway macrumors 68020

I like how Apple makes you buy expensive, bulky, crap just to circumvent their arrogance.

19. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Good for you. I use my phone to talk, all day, every day, for work and every single day, I have it plugged in, because you can't just charge it at night and then expect to be able to talk on it for 6-8 hours. The battery isn't good enough.

It is still a phone, isn't it?

20. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Wait until next year and use wireless charging?

21. Macalway macrumors 68020

Actually, Apple is pretty sly. Now they can introduce a headphone jack with 8 like they invented it.

22. macosmac macrumors newbie

macosmac

FYI... Belkin offers an adapter to charge and listen to the iPhone 7 at the same time. Hopefully the next edition of the iPhone has wireless charging, maybe a digital home button?

23. jdclifford macrumors 6502

How do you focus on driving?

24. brojan macrumors member

Lol. No probkems... For you. You move on.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You may not be able to do both for a few weeks but you can bet some third party will come out with an adapter.