iPhone 7 + Launch : Georgetown (DC)

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by LLL1424, Sep 9, 2016.

1. LLL1424 macrumors 6502

LLL1424

Wasn't able to do the pre-order but definitely doing the camping thing at Georgetown this year. Anyone else? It's been years since I last did it!

2. RiderXTC macrumors member

I may be there. I have been the first in line at the Clarendon location for the last 5 years. However, they are closed during the launch this year for renovations. I was hoping the renovations at Clarendon would be completed in time for the launch but I have confirmed that this will not be the case.

I am wondering how safe it is to "camp out" at the Georgetown store? How was the experience during previous launches? Parking also looks to be a challenge at this location. Anyone have good parking suggestions?

I am also considering Potomac Town Center but I have heard security frowns heavily on "camping out". In fact, I know that they forced people to leave last year and told them to come back at a specific time. When they returned at the time they were told, there were already about 20 people in line.

3. LLL1424 thread starter macrumors 6502

LLL1424

I heard about Clarendon being closed for renovation. As far as safety, you'll be fine. Georgetown is just, busy, compared to Clarendon. A lot of news outlets are known to visit. Tim Cook was there last year!! Parking would be my big concern. I'm ubering it to save myself that hassle.

4. computermilk macrumors 6502

What about "allowing people to form lines" that's my biggest concern, i'm not putting forth any effort to a location of choosing until i 100% know that they will uphold integrity and allow people to form a line.

i read about Tyson's last year, what a mess!, i refuse to even attempt to stand in a line when the power holders aren't also on board with it. That's how crap happens like people getting kicked out and losing their place in line.

5. RiderXTC macrumors member

I am still debating between here and Potomac Town Center. There is a Starbucks about 20 feet from the entrance to the Apple store in Potomac Town Center. This might be a deciding factor. :apple::)

6. computermilk macrumors 6502

Is that outside ?

I'm thinking about doing Reston because it's outside.

7. RiderXTC macrumors member

The Georgetown, Reston, and Potomac Town Center locations are all outside.

8. computermilk macrumors 6502

Oh wow. Nice. Hmmm. So it's between Potomac and Reston.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    Let's all do Potomac we can meet there at 8pm on Thursday.

Who's bringing what games ? :)

9. goofy810 macrumors regular

Just read that Potomac wont let folks camp out :(

10. mistercrabby macrumors newbie

The sidewalk in front of the Georgetown store is public property. You're allowed to be there just as much as anyone else is there and there are no security guards who can chase you away.

As for parking--I am not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that parking is not enforced after 10pm. Enforcement starts up again around 7 or 8 am depending on where you park. If you park in a metered spot you can also use the park mobile app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/parkmobile-paid-parking-made/id365399299?mt=8) to pay your meter from your phone while you wait. Good luck!

11. LLL1424 thread starter macrumors 6502

LLL1424

I'm sticking with Georgetown as my choice. There's always Bethesda as well. But Georgetown will probably have more inventory.

12. goofy810 macrumors regular

what time you going out ??

I may join you we can bring some games etc...?

let me know

13. computermilk macrumors 6502

I mean what do you think it would look like the day before on Thursday night ? Imagine how much it would suck to camp there all night and be left empty handed.

Yeah parking concerns me, so there's meters that use an app huh?

14. goofy810 macrumors regular

Im thinking Parking will be park at a meter, and then use the app, or if Apple comes around and gives a digital ticket (to reserve your phone they have done that in the past) then i will just go feed the meter after they give you a ticket. All that said MAKE SURE not to park in a tow zone (alot of street parking is closed during rush hour ie 8 to 10am)

15. computermilk macrumors 6502

This will be my first time in that area parking like this does anyone have any suggestions of a street maybe take a screenshot of a map or something appreciate the help I'm probably going to go to Georgetown as well I'll go and find some interesting card games to play

What time do you think you're going to show up

16. RiderXTC macrumors member

Be aware that a lot of the parking meters or zones in that are limited to two to three hours. However, as someone else previously pointed out, in some locations, enforcement stops at 10:00 PM but only in areas where this is explicitly posted.

The app you need to use is Park Mobile. It is a well designed app but requires some setup ahead of time. You have to create an account to sign in, add a credit card for payment, and of course add your vehicle and license plate number. It may save some time to do this ahead of time.

17. LastPadawan macrumors member

LastPadawan

I don't drive into DC so I'm not very familiar, would parking garages be any better?

18. RiderXTC macrumors member

There are a couple around there but I most close at a certain hour. Once they close, you will have no access to your vehicle until they reopen in the morning. For some people this is fine but I do not like the idea of not having access. I usually bring a pillow, blanket, extra device batteries, chairs, clothes, food, etc... It is convenient to keep a lot of this in my truck and grab as needed. It also makes is more convenient just before the Apple Store opens on Friday. I have made the mistake of having too much gear and then scrambling to get everything packed up at the very last minute. I had no access to my truck so I had to leave all my gear sitting in front of the store while I purchased my phone. I was worried that my gear would either be stolen or trampled. After getting my phone, I had to interrupt the line to gather my gear, which was frustrating for me and the people still in line.

Just a few things to think about...

19. computermilk macrumors 6502

I'm going to bring a bookbag and cooler, the bookbag will hold ALL items i need, like extra chargers, etc, and cooler for food.
    And the chair ill bring can be thrown over the Arm after folded up i think, So those things can be quickly packed up.

Parking Situation, i'm highly considering taking an uber in.

20. RiderXTC macrumors member

It is official. I am first in line at Georgetown. Hope to see you guys soon. Don't leave me out here by myself for too long.

Of course it has to be the hottest day of the week.

21. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I hope you have an umbrella to get some shade. Good luck.

22. alexdanley macrumors newbie

alexdanley

What time will everyone be arriving Thursday evening?

23. RiderXTC macrumors member

I am hanging out in the store. The sun is pretty rough. Tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous.

24. RiderXTC macrumors member

Must Read
    I have some really good information I feel I should share. An extremely reliable source has confirmed that the iPhone 7 shipments have already arrived. This person has told me that inventory levels for walk-ins on Friday is very good. However, supplies for the 7 and 7 Plus in jet black are somewhat limited.

All iPhone accessories such as cases, lightning ear pods, Beats 3 headphones, etc.., are available today if ordered online as personal pickup. Otherwise they are only available for walk in tomorrow. You will not see the accessories on display or on the shelves but are avaiable.

25. LastPadawan macrumors member

LastPadawan

Thank you for that, makes me a bit more comfortable.