Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A collection of new photos and a video showcase a Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter, which has previously been rumored as a bundled accessory for the iPhone 7 this fall as a way to assuage users of the smartphone's long-rumored removal of the 3.5 mm headphone jack. The adapter in today's photos was reportedly obtained from a Foxconn factory in Vietnam (via Tinhte.vn) [Google Translate], and the report's author believes it could be a genuine Apple adapter.

iPhone-7-lightning-to-3.5mm-800x534.jpg

As shown in the pictures shared today, the adapter's cord appears short and visually similar to that of Apple's current adapters sold on its website, including the USB-C to USB and Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet accessories. The Lightning plug does not appear to fit particularly well into its sheath, but it's unclear if it might be an incomplete part, damaged during disassembly, or simply a knockoff product.

When the Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter is plugged into a device running iOS 9 or lower, the software displays an incompatibility message to the user, but when used on devices with a beta of iOS 10 installed, the dongle appears to work "immediately" without any issues. The author also notes that if headphones are plugged into both the standard headphone jack on a current iPhone and the adapter connected to Lightning, the device gives priority to the Lightning port for audio output.

iPhone-7-lightning-to-3.5mm-3-800x534.jpg

While the adapter shown today could still potentially be a third-party product, it fits with Apple's design aesthetic and its ability to function with the large number of 3.5 mm headphones already in the wild could be a better solution than a previous, sketchy rumor that hinted at Lightning-enabled EarPods coming with the iPhone 7.

Regardless of whether this leaked adapter is a genuine Apple product or not, Apple's solution will undoubtedly be sleeker than most other current third-party solutions, but many users remain opposed to the removal of the headphone jack that will cause conflicts for users looking to use wired headphones and charge their devices simultaneously.

Article Link: Possible iPhone 7 Lightning to 3.5 mm Adapter Surfaces in New Photos

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Simple enough I guess, but I would have thought that it would have been just one piece instead of two pieces separated by wire.
Edit: The two parts could actually exist parallel to each other instead of one after the other.

Last edited:

iFredOS

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2016
Montréal, Québec
It’s easy to see this is not the official Apple’s one just by the cable neck on each hand. This is too short. The Lightning connector on the second picture is off. Come on guys you know Apple better than that. Don’t post useless pictures from China.

A collection of new photos and a video showcase a Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter, which has previously been rumored as a bundled accessory for the iPhone 7 this fall as a way to assuage users of the smartphone's long-rumored removal of the 3.5 mm headphone jack. The adapter in today's photos was reportedly obtained from a Foxconn factory in Vietnam (via Tinhte.vn) [Google Translate], and the report's author believes it could be a genuine Apple adapter.

iPhone-7-lightning-to-3.5mm-800x534.jpg

As shown in the pictures shared today, the adapter's cord appears short and visually similar to that of Apple's current adapters sold on its website, including the USB-C to USB and Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet accessories.

When the Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter is plugged into a device running iOS 9 or lower, the software displays an incompatibility message to the user, but when used on devices with a beta of iOS 10 installed, the dongle appears to work "immediately" without any issues. The author also notes that if headphones are plugged into both the standard headphone jack on a current iPhone and the adapter connected to Lightning, the device gives priority to the Lightning port for audio output.

iPhone-7-lightning-to-3.5mm-3-800x534.jpg

While the adapter shown today could still potentially be a third-party product, it fits with Apple's design aesthetic and its ability to function with the large number of 3.5 mm headphones already in the wild could be a better solution than a previous, sketchy rumor that hinted at Lightning-enabled EarPods coming with the iPhone 7.

Regardless of whether this leaked adapter is a genuine Apple product or not, Apple's solution will undoubtedly be sleeker than most other current third-party solutions, but many users remain opposed to the removal of the headphone jack that will cause conflicts for users looking to use wired headphones and charge their devices simultaneously.

Article Link: Possible iPhone 7 Lightning to 3.5 mm Adapter Surfaces in New Photos

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I don't care too, but i care about how they solve it and it makes me sad if true.

This is the case with any change in tech though. The way they solve these issues only matters for a year or two and by then people forget and move on with their newer tech that works with the new way of doing things. Kinda like the lightning to 30 pin debacle. It was a bit of an issue at first but as time went on, most people update their devices and now it's a non-issue. Either that or Apple will realize a failure and revert back to using the headphone jack.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Macrumors, I think you mean 'Dongle', not adapter. What's an adapter?

adapter
əˈdaptə/
noun
a device for connecting pieces of equipment that cannot be connected directly.
"the adapter converts the lightning port to a 3.5 mm headphone jack"

A dongle is a small piece of hardware that connects to another device to provide it with additional functionality.

In this instance you are not adding functionality but merely adapting the port. An adapter is the correct usage.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Personally I don't mind the idea of an adapter BUT what I do absolutely loathe is how cheaply Apple makes it cables and ports and locks out 3rd party accessories. It's always complete guesswork as to whether my new lightning cables will work or last. If these new adapters are anything similar it's no deal for me, I'll wait for iPhone 8.

Who am I kidding of course the quality will be garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.