Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which phone should I upgrade too

• iPhone7

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Galaxy S8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Both my wife and I are coming up on the end of our contracts with Verizon, and are looking to upgrade. I am not sure if we are sticking with Verizon or not since things have changed so much over the past 2 years. My question is should I stick with the iPhone or move into the Android area? I am a graphic designer and only own Mac's for my desktop work so I am in the apple ecosystem at home and at work, with that said I am intrigued by the new Android offerings like the Galaxy s8 as well as the iPhone7 but I am not sure which direction to go?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They're both completely different platforms. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. What I would do, is if you're unsure, perhaps you could wait until the Galaxy S8 releases, try it for 14 days. If you don't like it, return it within your 14 days and purchase the iPhone 7. That Way you would have at least an appreciation if you would like Android or not.

I own iPhone 7 Plus and I absolutely love it. But then again, I am a heavy iOS user. And I also appreciate the hardware and ecosystem.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Stick. Why not. It does what you need it to. It's a seriously powerful phone and you'll know you'll get good support from Apple. You'll know you'll get iOS updates for the next 5 years. You're already in the ecosystem. It's stable, secure, and will hold its resale value more.

Changing from iOS to Android just for the sake of a change of scenery is often a bad idea. People do it all the time and regret it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to Android, but I'm saying you'll need a much better reason. Otherwise you'll just end up missing your iPhone.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Sounds like I should stay the course and stick with the iPhone. I will wait until the new galaxy launches and then take a good look before I decide either way. I just assumed that since I was so deep in the ecosystem it was easier just to stay but had never used another smartphone so I wasn't sure if there were benefits the other platform could offer me or my wife.

Reactions: 44267547

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
There will likely always be some feature or features on a competing product that may be attractive. That's the nature of competition. Since a change of platform almost undoubtedly entails some sort of disruption - learning curve, migration/conversion of data, a certain number of (generally small) "oh, it doesn't do that?" items - the question is whether the benefits of change outweigh the costs. New features rarely stay exclusive forever - the competition nearly always catches up, and tries to deliver its own raft of new, attractive features the next time.

If the transition turns out to be more difficult than anticipated, one may either come running back to the familiar, or end up unhappily married to the new mate, dreading the pain of the next divorce.

Some people will switch back and forth between major platforms on a regular basis, or use several simultaneously. That tends to reduce the learning curve issues. They likely use platform-independent cloud services, so data migration is not an issue, either. I haven't been one of those multi-platform people for some time - mobile devices were not a major factor when I was. I felt a certain freedom in knowing I wasn't tied to any one platform, and it increased my value as an IT geek, but in practice, it was more bother for me than pleasure. I'm happier with deep immersion in one platform than trying to remain competent in several, but maybe that just comes naturally with older age (and older synapses)?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What does the Galaxy have to offer for you that the iPhone doesn't? Android has its positives and negatives, as does iOS, but you seem happy with iOS so what benefits will you enjoy by switching?

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I get the urge to try Android but stick with the reliability and ease of use of the iPhone. Everyone has an iPhone so it's easy to use if you hand it to someone. I find Android awkward and less intuitive although possibly more customizability and options for apps. I would suggest getting an Android tablet first to see if you prefer it.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Wait until September. You'll have the iPhone Edition, Galaxy Note 8, and Pixel 2 to choose from.

If you like iOS, probably best to stay. There are some nice things about Android, but the consistency and reliability of iOS still beats Android.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
The iPhone is a trusty, dependable phone that you know and probably love (otherwise the switch would've happened already I guess?). Sure, that Galaxy looks all shiny and cool, but I think the iOS software is worth it alone.

Still, if you want to switch things up, go for it. The S8 looks good, would wait for some good reviews though. It will either bring a great experience or it will make you appreciate the iPhone even more. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.