Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_7_plus_rear-250x392.jpg
Apple plans to produce a single iPhone 7 Plus that will ship with a dual-lens camera and 3GB of RAM to compensate for increased image processing demands, according to a new report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo that walks back from past reports suggesting Apple would produce two iPhone 7 Plus models.

Earlier rumors from Kuo indicated Apple was working on multiple versions of the iPhone 7 Plus -- a model with a single lens camera to match the iPhone 7 and a second "Pro" model with a dual-lens camera -- but Kuo now believes this is no longer Apple's plan as a single-camera iPhone 7 Plus would undermine demand for the dual-camera model. Apple is expected to continue producing two iPhone models, in 4.7 and 5.5-inch sizes.
In a previous report, we said the new 5.5-inch iPhone model (referred to as iPhone 7 Plus), to be launched in 2H16, may come in two versions: one with rear single-camera and the other with rear dual-camera. However, we now believe Apple (US) will only roll out the dual-camera version in 2H16, with 3GB RAM to meet image processing requirements, and we estimate shipments of this model in 2016F of 20-30mn units.
Kuo does not foresee any significant supply bottlenecks that would affect production of the dual-camera iPhone 7 Plus, but because of design constraints, he predicts optical zoom capabilities, which have been previously rumored for the device, will be limited.

Today's report from Kuo follows the leak of design blueprints said to be sourced from Apple supplier Catcher Technology, which suggest that the iPhone 7 Plus will also exclusively feature the Smart Connector that first debuted in the iPad Pro.

Article Link: Apple to Produce Single iPhone 7 Plus Model With Dual-Lens Camera and 3GB RAM

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
iPhone is back this fall with wounds marks top and bottom, plus protrusions and warts aplenty!
Not even bothering to get the design clean anymore.
Oh dear me, Apple... What's broken at HQ?
"This is really sad. It really is." --Phil Schiller (Keynote 46 minutes 21 seconds http://ow.ly/inz23006YI5)

Last edited:
Reactions: stormboy2011

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Of course Apple works on multiple prototypes of every product. That doesn't mean that multiple versions will go to market. They are simply trying out different ideas in the product development process.

exodiusprime

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just what everybody wanted - an iPhone line even further fragmented and confusing for the consumer.

I don't see how this sucks; the article says there WON'T be a different version to avoid fragmentation. I hope they do a decent job with implementing the camera (my guess is a "new-and-improved Live photos" similar to what the Fyuse and other "3D" picture apps can do, in addition to 3D videos) and 3GB of RAM is welcome. It'll be rumor season until at least September, so we just need to weed out the nonsense from the facts :)

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Looks okay to me. I'm not willing to sacrifice camera quality to have the device sit flat on a table.

I'm sorry, but I need to ask this because I see it so often and do not understand it. Why do you place such an emphasis on the camera.

I'm not faulting you for it. There are many people who do this. I'm just trying to understand.

I admit that the camera is a very useful device to have on a smartphone. But I don't understand the emphasis on the quality that many people place on it.

It seems to me that smartphone camera quality achieved "good enough" status several years ago.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Dual lens being the only noticeable new feature, expect to be entertained to death with iPhone 7 commercials highlighting this aspect of the design (which I suspect will be rather marginal improvement - but welcomed nonetheless)

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
So whats the "Plus" about? Just the size or also functionality? Then we should we call it Pro right? I'm confused right now!

ConnorMcJeebus

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
It seems like Apple's strategy is to update one or two hardware features at a time to each new iteration of the same phone.

And of all the things people ask for (i.e. complain about) the camera isn't one of them. I really hope there's something more in store for the 7. Otherwise it's a 6 with relocated antennas, a better camera system and more RAM to support the camera. Not exactly the type of innovation that will reassure shareholders.

Reactions: MH01 and satchmo

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I'm sorry, but I need to ask this because I see it so often and do not understand it. Why do you place such an emphasis on the camera.

I'm not faulting you for it. There are many people who do this. I'm just trying to understand.

I admit that the camera is a very useful device to have on a smartphone. But I don't understand the emphasis on the quality that many people place on it.

It seems to me that smartphone camera quality achieved "good enough" status several years ago.
I use my phone as my primary camera. I have a DSLR but it is so impractical to carry with me. The iPhone takes pretty good pictures and definitely good enough to take pictures of your food for Instagram or whatever, but I take photos of my wife and I on vacation. These are our memories captured for life. Some will be framed.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
The real question is whether they will call the single 5.5-inch model "Pro" and slap a $100 premium on it (thereby making it a whopping $200 more than the 4.7 inch model). Given their recent behavior with the iPad line, my guess is yes. It makes sense in a way. Since fewer people are buying smartphones these days, the only way to keep revenues up is to get more money out of the people who are still buying. A $200 premium will be hard for a lot of people to swallow though. This could be a real test of whether their "Pro" pricing strategy really works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.