Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tumble220

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
I've repaired many 5, 5S, 6 and 6S iphone screens, but now i've been asked to repair a friends iphone 7 and am a bit nervous. Mainly because of the price if it goes wrong. I have the ability and watched video's but still a bit wary. It looks pretty much similar to the other iphones. I have also read about the home button will have to be calibrated by Apple, not sure if this is always the case and is it easy to damage?. Any one changed one that could give me advice?. Many thanks, Gary.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've repaired many 5, 5S, 6 and 6S iphone screens, but now i've been asked to repair a friends iphone 7 and am a bit nervous. Mainly because of the price if it goes wrong. I have the ability and watched video's but still a bit wary. It looks pretty much similar to the other iphones. I have also read about the home button will have to be calibrated by Apple, not sure if this is always the case and is it easy to damage?. Any one changed one that could give me advice?. Many thanks, Gary.

The home button can exhibit "Error 53" message, which essentially bricks the iPhone from further use. Third party repair stores have encountered this issue, but it appears it's been rectified through iOS updates.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/18/a...-to-restore-iphones-disabled-by-error-53/amp/

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
From what I have read, its usually cheaper to go to Apple directly when it comes to the 7/7Plus for a screen replacement. I do believe that the home button has to be calibrated because of it being a solid state button unlike past years. I don't remember where I heard that, so I can't provide a source. But Apple does calibrate the screen to the specific device.

wezzel98765

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
The home button doesn't need calibrating. You do need to be careful ,as always it is adhered on the right hand side where it connects to the cable built in to the screen assembly. You'll need a decent tri wing driver as well.

Be very careful , if you damage the home button, the phone will NEVER have a home button again unless it goes to Apple

Have fixed around 40 of these now

Reactions: Sunny1990
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.