iPhone 7 Water resistant but water damage not covered - ********* at Genius Bar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Romf, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Romf macrumors 6502

Romf

So I am quite excited about the water resistant part of the iphone 7.
    But as we all know, Apple won't cover water damage under warranty. We can understand that for example because they wouldn't be able to tell you didn't dive to 20m with your phone :)
    BUT
    Let's say I buy an iphone 7 and follow all the guidances about water resistance, AND I get a water damage because I got a phone where the water resistance sealing is defective - How Apple can justify not to repair my phone?
    It means that Apple is advertising a feature (water resistance) but if this feature isn't working properly (as can happen with anything when you buy any phone, there can be a problem) they won't cover it.
    I wonder how that will go at genius bar:
    "-your phone has water damage, we can't repair it under warranty"
    "-but i used it as per your guidelines, i just used it under the rain and didn't even drop it in the water, it shouldn't get a water damage from that"
    "-but we don't cover water damage"
    "-but you advertise water resistance and it's not working on my phone and I should get a phone that has all the features advertise"

I think Apple will in the future see some problems with this and I don't know how it could be solved.

2. daymouse macrumors regular

Out of interest what's the other manufactures stance on this in their warranties like Sony and Samsung?

Personally in the UK they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I can see the advertising standards agency saying to apple your advertising it as being water resistant yet don't cover it under warranty like any other feature therefore you either cover it or don't advertise water resistance as a feature.

I can see if it kicking off big time here in the UK. I certainly would be as the Genius Bar if I was in this situation.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

First adopters run the risk with every new design from the Apple labs. The 3g case cracks, the 4's antenna losing signal, the 5's badly chaffing/chipping chamfers, the 6's bending issue, and so on...

You have kind of answered your own question by asking about a 'defective' design and Apple replacing your phone in the event of water damage.

Did you see the tests run on the Apple watch to replicate a swimmer's motion through the water to several hundred thousand strokes?

iPhone more than likely had its own set of threshold tests done and if you do nothing more than splash some water on the phone or get caught in the rain, it's hard to comprehend the phone's water resistance being compromised.

4. Romf thread starter macrumors 6502

Romf

I am interested in this as well/

I think you didn't get my point.
    When you buy a phone, you can have bad luck and get a model with something defective. It can be the home button (for previous phones ;) ), or the camera or *anything*. It just happen as millions of devices can't be 100% perfect.
    In all these cases, an appointment to the genius bar will solve the problem as it will be exchanged under warranty.
    So the "waterproofing" (or water-resistant function) could be, as any other functions, defective.
    Some say iphone 6S was already water resistant but it wasn't advertised. So if you went to genius bar with a water damaged iphone 6S, Apple had grounds to refuse the warranty exchange.
    Here, water resistance is a function like any others. What if you get a defective one, and your phone gets a water damage under a rain or with a few splash? On what grounds can Apple not replace a phone with a defective, advertised function?

My first guess is that geniuses will have instructions to be quite relaxed about it and assert the situation by questionning the customer, but maybe I am wrong

5. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

The problem is that there is a standard of water resistance set and the phones Apple sells have to go through an approval process to attain that standard.

Apple is given the rating, and Apple sells the phones to us under the umbrella of that rating.

Now unless somewhere down the road that it is determined that the design of the water resistance is defective in that it fails after some time within the warranty period on a considerable number of phones, you aren't going to convince anyone at the genius bar that you did nothing beyond what is 'allowable' to cause the intrusion of water into the phone's interior.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2016 ---
    And this is the first adopter paradigm. Apple will receive feedback and look very closely and examine any 7 series phones that suffer water damage to determine if there is in fact a defect or not.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I don't know about Sony but Samsung don't cover water damage under their warranty. The same as Apple.

7. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

I have a slight problem with this, i want to trust this feature so i think the first thing i'm going to do is turn it on and put it in a glass of water to test the feature out. I don't want to put all my stuff on it and then have it crap out on me when it starts raining because of some manufacturing fault.

8. Romf thread starter macrumors 6502

Romf

9. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

For the phone, water resistant does NOT equal water proof (as in warranty). Water resistant does equal a fighting chance in a water accident which is how it should be viewed.

The watch is a different animal. They showed people using it for swimming and mentioned 50m. While I do expect some issues for some watches, I think Apple will warranty that small number.

10. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

People still need to be careful with their phones. They are more water resistant but not waterproof. It doesn't mean you get a license to go out and be reckless with it and still expect Apple to cover everything no matter what.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'll be washing mine once a week to get the dust bunnies out. I'll let you know lol

Seriously though I use my aw1 in the shower and I've been swimming with it on without an issue and I'll continue to do so. It's either partially or fully submerged daily without a hint of misting.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

This is exactly why companies should never announce water resistance. If you aren't prepared to back up your claims with warranty repairs, don't announce it. Just quietly add the feature and let people be pleasantly surprised when they drop their phone in water but it still works.

Then there's no confusion or anger about Apple not replacing or repairing a phone that does get water damage and break.

13. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

Samsung doesnt honor the warranty if the device has any physical or liquid damage, even on the active series or any of the phones with water resistance.

I don't see why they would cover for damage when you can't prove that it was a fault of the phone or your own negligence. These phone are meant to get splashed by water or possibly dropped into a cup of something. Not to the bottom of the pool or something like that regardless of what you see in the commercials.

From the S7 warranty(pretty much she wording for all their phones):

14. Romf thread starter macrumors 6502

Romf

Your logic makes sense, but it implies that the water resistance part is perfect as long as you follow the guidelines - which it may NOT

15. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Simple: Don't get your phone wet.
    If you do be prepared to $$$.

16. Romf thread starter macrumors 6502

Romf

You mean don't use a feature you are buying the phone for?
    That's quite some logic you got there :p

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Seem like you are just trying to find something to worry about.

18. _Refurbished_, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

_Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Apple shows people using the phone in the rain, therefore you should be able to use the device in the rain. It's being advertised. What if your unit is defective and the rain triggers a water indicator? Other parts of the phone can be defective, yet are replaced under warranty. In this situation, you'd be SOL.

The water resistance feature will only serve as a backup for me until they offer the same level of water protection as the Series 2 Apple Watch. The only thing I'm comfortable with, is using my phone in very light rain or having my phone in the bathroom while I take a shower.

Lastly, the odds that is problem becomes a reality is slim at best. It's not something to worry about. Moving along...

19. Romf thread starter macrumors 6502

Romf

Yeah cos I love that :rolleyes:thanks for the input

Exactly

20. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I completely agree.

I understand that it's impossible for Apple to know whether an iPhone 7 has been damaged from a spilled glass of water or a 20 meter dive. At the same time, they should have an obligation to repair a phone that failed to conform to the IP68 specification that Apple advertises. To not do so is false advertising plain and simple.

I'm guessing that in the USA at least it will take a class-action lawsuit to resolve the question.

21. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Im guessing if you show up at genius bar in scuba gear your claim will be denied

22. Romf thread starter macrumors 6502

Romf

:D:D:p good point:D

23. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I think the key word here is water "resistance", and not proof. The phone is more resistant to water, but no where do they claim that the phone can't be damaged by it. Therefore, they won't cover it.

Think of it similarly to their cover glass. They claim it's the strongest glass ever made, therefore more resistant to scratches and drops. But you still won't get it covered under warranty if it does manage to scratch or shatter.

24. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

If Apple advertised your phone dropping from "X" distance to the ground without shattering, you'd expect it to be able to drop from "X" distance safely. They don't advertise that your phone will be able to withstand any drop, so it's not a 1:1 situation.

The OPs point is that if he or she is using it in advertised water settings and it fails, it should be covered. I agree in theory, but there would be no way for Apple to determine the validity of a person's claim of innocence.

25. Romf thread starter macrumors 6502

Romf

Not true, they actually advertise that iphone is IP67 resistant.
    It is a clear certification that means:

It is actually very clear