Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I'm getting a company phone and have my choice of a device. I have a Note8 as a personal phone and want a smaller device for work emails and texting. Which iPhone should I go with? I haven't used an iPhone since the 6S besides a spare SE I never use. Shouldn't do anything crazy with the device and I'm slightly concerned about the 8's glass back. I remember a lot of broken iPhone 4's back in the day. Thanks for any info.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks. I'm just going to go with a iPhone 8.

I Honestly think that’s the better choice. Not because the phones are drastically different, mainly because the iPhone 8 is the most current piece of hardware with the latest specifications. Being that you don’t upgrade very often, you would appreciate the support longer.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I Honestly think that’s the better choice. Not because the phones are drastically different, mainly because the iPhone 8 is the most current piece of hardware with the latest specifications. Being that you don’t upgrade very often, you would appreciate the support longer.

Yeah, we only upgrade phone's every three years. Hopefully the iPhone 8 will last me that long.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, we only upgrade phone's every three years. Hopefully the iPhone 8 will last me that long.

Just estimating here, but I would be willing to believe the iPhone 8 should see at least a minimum of four years of iOS support, which would ultimately end it somewhere near iOS 14 or 15.

Reactions: macgeek18

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Just estimating here, but I would be willing to believe the iPhone 8 should see at least a minimum of four years of iOS support, which would ultimately end it somewhere near iOS 14 or 15.
Aren’t all iPhones supposed to get 4-5 years of support? What makes the 8 any different?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Aren’t all iPhones supposed to get 4-5 years of support? What makes the 8 any different?

“Supposed to”? Is that stated somewhere in the legality terms of iOS agreements for each and every iPhone? I don’t think there is a guarantee of how much support any iPhone has. Regardless, one can only estimate based off previous history, not to mention the limiting factors based off hardware that will _allow_ continued support.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
I haven't owned an iPhone since 2010, but since I helped my friend research answers to this very same question you asked, I think I can give you an answer that might help. There are also a ton of articles and YouTube videos that answer your question.

Design/aesthetics - The overall look and feel of the 8 is pretty much exactly the same as the 7 (and this has been the case since the 6). The one major difference is that the 8 has a glass back (not metal like the 7), to allow for wireless charging. The 8 is available in fewer colors than the 7, however. The 8 is 10 gm heavier than the 7, if that matters.

Screen and camera - Exactly the same, except the 8 screen has a new True Tone feature that adapts the screen tone based on ambient lighting, and the 8 camera can do 1080p up to 240fps.

Storage - The 8 comes with a minimum of 64 GB, twice the minimum storage space of the 7 (32 GB).

Functionality - The one big new piece of functionality is that the 8 allows for wireless charging without the need for a special accessory that would allow the 7 to do the same. Bluetooth 5 is now supported on the 8, but most people won't care about this.

Performance - This is where the A11 Bionic chip of the 8 really blows the 7 away. Several people have done benchmarking using Geekbench and found the 8 to be quite a bit breezier than the 7.

Overall, the 8 is not a huge upgrade from the 7, but it is always best to get newer technology unless you have a compelling reason to go with older tech.

Since your company is buying the phone, it's a no-brainer. Get the 8 !

Last edited:
Reactions: macgeek18

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I haven't owned an iPhone since 2010, but since I helped my friend research answers to this very same question you asked, I think I can give you an answer that might help. There are also a ton of articles and YouTube videos that answer your question.

Design/aesthetics - The overall look and feel of the 8 is pretty much exactly the same as the 7 (and this has been the case since the 6). The one major difference is that the 8 has a glass back (not metal like the 7), to allow for wireless charging. The 8 is available in fewer colors than the 7, however. The 8 is gm heavier than the 7, if that matters.

Screen and camera - Exactly the same, except the 8 screen has a new True Tone feature that adapts the screen tone based on ambient lighting, and the 8 camera can do 1080p up to 240fps.

Storage - The 8 comes with a minimum of 64 GB, twice the minimum storage space of the 7 (32 GB).

Functionality - The one big new piece of functionality is that the 8 allows for wireless charging without the need for a special accessory that would allow the 7 to do the same. Bluetooth 5 is now supported on the 8, but most people won't care about this.

Performance - This is where the A11 Bionic chip of the 8 really blows the 7 away. Several people have done benchmarking using Geekbench and found the 8 to be quite a bit breezier than the 7.

Overall, the 8 is not a huge upgrade from the 7, but it is always best to get newer technology unless you have a compelling reason to go with older tech.

Since your company is buying the phone, it's a no-brainer. Get the 8 !

I’m going to get the 8. It’s a nice phone just been used to Android on the phone for so long it’s going to take awhile to get used to again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.