iPhone 8/+ Owners: What extras did you get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmtks, Sep 27, 2017.

1. jmtks macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm likely going to buy the 8+ this weekend, but I've been too busy to get to an Apple Store and check it out, otherwise I would have already ordered it but yeah I don't really want to buy a phone without seeing what it's like in person.

However, with the back of the phone being glass and prone to shattering on a bad drop, I don't want to chance carrying it naked despite how I've never had a case for an iPhone and I've had them since the 3G. But my current iPhone I smashed on a drunk drop and it's also the longest I've owned one for, but it survived 2.5 years of pretty high clumsiness (falling out of pockets, dropping on hard ground from pocket height etc - I'm doubting the 8+ will be able to sustain the same level of damage for so long)

So I don't want to lose the nice feel of the phone, as others have mentioned it feels more premium. I also don't want it to be too heavy, I can't deal with these huge cases that some people sport though...

So I'm wondering what current 8(+) owners have bought in terms of cases and other accessories so I can weigh up what seems most worth it. I'm doubting whether I can get sufficient middle ground in protecting the phone while balancing the nice feel of the phone and its weight, but hopefully somebody will be able to prove me wrong.

Thanks

2. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I've used Apple's leather cases on iPhones for years and recommend them. Also grab Airpods if you don't have them already

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

4. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

5. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I purchase a case and screen protector when I purchase the phone. The screen protector is a winner, Zagg Glass+. The case I'm not wild about, but wasn't about to leave it unprotected. I have another case on the way. Spigen Neo Hybrid has proven perfect on my 5s, 6s and hopefully the 8+.

While I prefer the look and feel of a naked iPhone, using a combination of protection mentioned above has resulted in near perfect devices at the time of upgrade. This allows me to get top dollar for my old device.

Added BeatsX since the "courageous" elimination of the 3.5mm. I like many aspects of them, but will look for something else long term.

I'm still charging via the lightning connectors. I'll eventually get a wireless mat and will likely go with one from an Apple store unless there is an option that is completely raved about. The wireless charging is nice to have I suppose but I don't see a huge benefit in it. I mean you still have to do something to charge the phone. At the end of the day, plugging in a Qi mat, then placing the phone on it isn't that much difference than using the traditional method step wise. Maybe I just don't get understand? If that's the case, I'd love to be enlightened. I will be thoroughly impressed if/when we get to TRUE wireless charging.

6. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I normally use the Apple leather case.. went silicone thinking more grip but to be honest the leather one is better.. will pick it up.

Got Air Pods.. oh my I love them.

I don’t do screen protectors FWIW.

7. jmtks thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you recommend a particular leather case?

How does the case feel? I'm a little apprehensive about rubbery/silicon cases as I generally don't like the feeling on the phone. But what's it like in terms of weight and protection? Are all the buttons still as easy to press without additional force or whatever? That's another thing that potentially bothers me, I want buttons to feel as they normally do (not sure if this is an issue or not)

Yeah personally I don't really see the point of wireless charging beyond if my charging port gets rekt and having a back up means of charging it! Especially since you can't use it when you're charging it, seems to me like you may as well plug it in, especially as plugged it in would be faster. But then I'm probably missing the point.
    I didn't even know Apple did a leather case, how does it hold up?

I'll be honest Air Pods do look cool, are they comfortable? To me though, they're not worth the time that I'd use them, since I listen to music pretty much most of the day at the office, I only otherwise listen to music sometimes on the commute to/from work although by this point I don't really feel the need. And since I wouldn't be able to connect AirPods to my work desktop, I just use Spotify on there for convenience without having to run down battery on one of my own devices - there really is little use of them for me :(

8. 4ppleg1rl macrumors regular

I have a generic wireless charger (2 actually, a new pad on the way!).

A tempered glass full screen protector, in white to match the phone. No idea why I've got one this time round, I've never had one before.

And I'm looking for a clear case that isn't too bulky but will protect the phone if it falls (I don't usually drop my phone so heavy duty ones aren't necessary). Although the glass back makes the phone way less slippery, so I doubt I'd be dropping it.

I'm also REALLY needing that fast charging, but I don't know if it's available yet or how much the charger is? I'm thinking to wait and see if any third party ones come out cheaper than Apple's!

I really want Air Pods but I know I'm gonna lose them so not even gonna bother.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

That particular Anker Karapax case looks a little different in real life than it does on Amazon.com. The back is actually fairly smooth - the ridges are barely there (barely makes a sound when you strike you fingernail over them) - the sides are a hardened plastic which is kinda slippery but small enough so your thumbs can grip the rubber part. It has a huge lip around the front face of the phone that opens up (making moving icons from screen to screen uninhibited) but the lip is kinda big - but good for those that want to set their phone down face first without any damage to the phone.

The buttons are definitely extended - the case seems to have additional buttons on top of the phone's buttons to make pressing them easier. At first I thought this would bother me but it actually makes pressing the buttons easier so I like it and they're really well integrated into the case (not loose at all).

The case is hard plastic, kinda slippery - not rubbery at all, especially the sides. I like this cuz I hate rubber / sticky cases. So I'm going to keep it. I like it, the look isn't super great but it works. A good 9/10 case.

Definitely thinking about saving up to get a Sena leather case someday (not anytime soon). I miss my Sena Wallet case that I had for my 6+ and 6s+ (kept it for many many years) but I imagine wireless charging would be inhibited with credit cards on the back.

10. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

11. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

For me never having the luxury of wireless charging before since always being on iPhone, it was a no brainer to purchase a wireless pad first

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Now that I look back, I wish I had gotten cradle wireless chargers (like a stand in one). They're a bit more expensive than the pucks I bought ($16 and $12) but I think I'm going to get a wireless charging stand eventually.

Agreed!

13. 4ppleg1rl macrumors regular

14. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

1. Air Pods - if you can get to an Apple Store they have clean units you can test out. WTS, they fit better tha the corded ones and the right corded one does not like my ear. They aren’t being ‘pulled’ on so they seem more stable. Plenty loud and sync is perfect.

2. Apple Leather case.. DON’T buy from Amazon as there are some amazing counterfeit models out there. I got fooled. Yes, the Apple version holds up well. I have done the Saddle Brown and it gets so dark .. people commented on it all the time. It is also protective... has taken drops on my driveway a few times. It nicked the case but I rubbed some (don’t get grossed out) body/face oil on the scuff (old Southern trick) and it recovered well. I would say the Apple Leather case holds up as well as any other case I have used and I used to test cases (and devices) for a living. The Leather case is a bit more slippery than the silicone.. so be prepared if you have the Plus.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    For the $ these are amazing cases. My buddy that is stupid picky .. and CEO of a pharma will only us these cases.
    I will get blasted for this but IMO glass screen protectors are a gimmick. If you drop your phone there is a x% chance the screen will break and x% chance that the glass cover will break. I don’t think one affects the other. I think the glass cover % is higher and when it does shatter people think.. “it saved me!”.. when in fact the iPhone screen wasn’t going to break anyway.
    I have not used any screen protector in 5 years. I keep a microfiber cloth handy and don’t rub hard. Occasionally can use soft wet towel to get gunk off and then go back to microfiber.

15. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

I have used the Apple leather and Apple silicone cases myself - I'm using the silicone cases the most at this point.

They're relatively cheap and what I need them to do; provide some protection to the phone if I drop it.

16. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Apple leather case for sure. The silicone provides more grip, but after awhile when the coating wears off it gets kind of sticky and becomes difficult to put in/take out of pockets.

17. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I bought an olive green silicone case for my SG iPhone 8. It looks more like dark grey, I really dig the color.

I wanted the Airpods too but I'll wait till the wireless charge case becomes available for those.

18. asuandy macrumors regular

asuandy

As other's have said, get AirPods. They're incredible and maybe the best thing Apple's done in recent memory.

I have this case (it comes in Plus; I had one on my 7 plus and liked it a lot):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747ZLTJB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will be getting this case for my 8 (it's on my 7 Plus now and it's really nice):

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Liqui...6545727&sr=1-6&keywords=spigen+armor+iphone+8

And these screen protectors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0752KQ3DS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19. davelees76 macrumors member

This is the correct answer.

The apple leather case feels great and offers good protection. It’s not bulky and feels great to hold.

Air Pods are the best purchase I’ve made in a long time. They are game changing.

20. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

Incipio Octane - may favorite case, bought it last week when it was still marked as iPhone 7+ case for 8.99
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K6ZHHTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Magpul Field Case - bought it for 9.95 last week as well - to go case for that tacticool :D feeling when going to the range
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XB66MG1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Will be reusing Otterbox Symmetry from my 7+ when extra protection is needed
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K6PBPG6/ref=twister_B075M43KB7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

21. TunaTaint macrumors newbie

TunaTaint

what brand was the white screen protector?

22. 4ppleg1rl macrumors regular

I don’t think there was a brand, it was just a £2 one from eBay... Seems to be doing the job so far but no idea if it’s gonna save my screen when the time comes! Only time will tell I suppose

23. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Although I've never had one, I really like the looks of both the leather and the silicone cases. My problem with them is that they always leave the bottom of the phone unprotected and I don't understand why.

I have a silicone back case on my first generation 12.9" iPad Pro and it DOES cover the bottom of the unit. The only break in otherwise "full protection" (besides the screen) is the cutout for the ASK/Smart Cover.

24. terps2005 macrumors member

Apple dark olive silicone case
    Apple 29w usb c power adapter
    Apple usb c to lightning cable

25. tommyparadise macrumors newbie

tommyparadise

+1.

Apple black leather case, screen protector, Airpods. I'm sorted apart from a wireless Qi charger which I'm still researching which one(s) to get.