Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
Hi,

My iPhone 8 plus maximum capacity is at 98% according to system: battery: battery health (beta) after just two weeks of usage.

Is this normal??

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Hi,

My iPhone 8 plus maximum capacity is at 98% according to system: battery: battery health (beta) after just two weeks of usage.

Is this normal??

No that isn’t normal, but keep in mind that the battery health feature is beta and may not be 100% (no pun intended) accurate. Do you have a Mac? You can download a free program called Coconut Battery and see if that also shows 98%

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Scary - my 1.5 year old iPhone 7 plus shows 99.3% full charge capacity and 94.2% of design capacity, with 256 cycles...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Scary - my 1.5 year old iPhone 7 plus shows 99.3% full charge capacity and 94.2% of design capacity, with 256 cycles...
Is that in iOS somewhere? And what is full charge vs design capacity?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Is that in iOS somewhere? And what is full charge vs design capacity?

Coconut Battery on my MacBook with my iPhone connected via the lightening port...

I think the later is the theoretical max the battery was designed to be, the former is how much it was 'out the box'. Please note the phrase here 'I think'...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Coconut Battery on my MacBook with my iPhone connected via the lightening port...

I think the later is the theoretical max the battery was designed to be, the former is how much it was 'out the box'. Please note the phrase here 'I think'...
What does iOS show (assuming you have 11.3 or later)?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've had phones from the factory be anywhere from 96% - 106% of design capacity. Don't read anything into it. Don't think much of it - batteries don't wear consistently. I've taken monthly readings of my 6+, 6s+, and my 8 for years.

My MacBook Pro 13' and my iPhone 8 are over design capacity from factory (lucky this time!). :)

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
No that isn’t normal, but keep in mind that the battery health feature is beta and may not be 100% (no pun intended) accurate. Do you have a Mac? You can download a free program called Coconut Battery and see if that also shows 98%

I don’t have a mac but the other apps on the app store show 0% wear level - surely apple’s own battery health is more accurate? Some don’t show the exact total mAh’s correctly though ranging from 2700 to 2675. Should be 2691 right?

I've had phones from the factory be anywhere from 96% - 106% of design capacity. Don't read anything into it. Don't think much of it - batteries don't wear consistently. I've taken monthly readings of my 6+, 6s+, and my 8 for years.

My MacBook Pro 13' and my iPhone 8 are over design capacity from factory (lucky this time!). :)

Are you saying it’s the luck of the draw? If so i could return my iPhone and get a replacement because it’s still new...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I don’t have a mac but the other apps on the app store show 0% wear level - surely apple’s own battery health is more accurate? Some don’t show the exact total mAh’s correctly though ranging from 2700 to 2675. Should be 2691 right?

Are you saying it’s the luck of the draw? If so i could return my iPhone and get a replacement because it’s still new...

Correct. Batteries are a chemistry. This is very difficult to get exact. This is why reading them is so difficult. Apple hides a lot of data from iOS too which is why a lot of users here use coconutBattery since MacOS can see that data. I honestly wouldn’t worry bout it too much.

My 6s+ came from the factory with 96% design capacity. After almost two years and 230? cycles I traded it back to apple at 94-96%. It lost almost no capacity. My 6+ started at 106% and after two years lost 10%+ capacity. My 8+ is holding so far after 7 months at just a few % over design capacity.

So even the wear rate can differ. I’ve had time to compare coconutBattery to Apple. Apple seems to read higher than coconutBattery.

My Samsung Note 3 lost 40% of its capacity after half a year. But back then you’d just pop off the plastic back and buy a $9 replacement on Amazon. Apples batteries are amazing.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010

Yes you would think Apple’s battery health feature would be the most accurate, but like I said, it is in beta. If it’s something that is going to bother you, take your phone to Apple and see if they’ll exchange it. If they run diagnostics on your phone and all comes up ok, they probably won’t exchange it, but then at least you know you tried, and can just enjoy the phone after that. Honestly though, I’m sure the battery is fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.