Iphone 8 plus restore limbo

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Asianpork, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Asianpork macrumors member

Restored my iPhone 8 plus from my iPhone 7's backup from my iMac. Everything went fine; text messages, contacts, notes, etc all restored fine. All my previous apps showed up etc etc...except all the third party apps are stuck in "loading" Phase. Been hours now. My wi-fi is perfectly fine, I restarted the phone twice but still nothing...all the non-Apple apps are stuck in "loading"

Any suggestions or help?

2. Asianpork thread starter macrumors member

Apple advisor don chat labeled it as "stuck in recovery mode". All apps are blacked out and are either "waiting" or "loading"

3. eww7633 macrumors regular

If you’ve restarted the device twice, it’s probably time to try and restore it again.

4. maritimeseven macrumors newbie

maritimeseven

This is happening to me too. I’ve done the Erase all Content and Settings three times, restarted the restore and it always hangs. I’ve given it about 8 hours to get moving, but it always gets stuck.

iOS 11 bug?

5. now i see it macrumors 68040

This has happened to me several times just updating several apps at a time using old iOS 9.3.5. So it may not be an iOS 11 issue. For me, turning off the phone and then turning it back on got the downloads going again (iOS 9.3.5).

Right now hundreds of millions of of people are hammering Apple servers during the iOS upgrade cycle. Maybe give it some more time.

6. Asianpork thread starter macrumors member

I made an icloud backup of the iPhone 8 when it had the iPhone 7 backup put on it. Wiped the device clean and reapplied the icloud backup and it worked.

This only seems to happen if you're restoring from an iTunes backup. Seems to be an iTunes issue. Same thing happened to me when going from iPhone 6 to iPhone 6S. If you restore from an icloud backup, than no issue.

4 hours on chat support with 3 Apple advisers and 3 senior level apple advisers (Got kicked off the chat twice after it became unresponsive, hence 3 advisers and 3 senior levels) and I figured it out on my own.