iPhone 8 Plus vs. iPhone 7 Plus: Every New Feature Compared

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Sadman88 macrumors newbie

Sadman88

I personally think that Apple isn't too confident in the X this year because iPhone 8 got the A11 soc as well. It could've easily gotten away with an A10X if they're pushing the X.

2. jdawgnoonan macrumors regular

jdawgnoonan

I believe that the point is that they are not pushing the X. The X is the aspirational device. The X prepares people for the future interface for iOS. The iPhone 8, I believe, is what most people will buy. Actually, I might even consider the X to be a public beta for Face ID as there is no way that Face ID will be as good now as it will be by the time it is the default across the platform in a year to three years.

3. zone23 macrumors 68000

Heavier than the iPhone 7+?? I'm out!!! Didn't think a phone could possible get any heavier. I would swear Apple wants me to permanently switch to my S8.

4. Karllake macrumors newbie

Totally agree, I like the look of the iPhone X dispite the notch, but the lack of touchID for apps like banking is a deal breaker for me, my business banking only allowed touchID last month, I don't want to wait another year or more for faceID to be adopted, I'll be buying the iPhone 8+.

5. Sadman88 macrumors newbie

Sadman88

Good point, I agree!

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I would say Apple is completely confident in iPhone X Regardless of the processor. A billion dollar company not confident in a product that they are calling the future sounds very questionable to me.

7. Geert76 macrumors 65816

Marketing 101 at work! ;)

8. Sadman88 macrumors newbie

Sadman88

Well I'm sure they thought that the lack of touchID and the higher price is going to put off some customers.

9. Supermallet, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I agree, this is the s upgrade, and since the s models have traditionally been the best longevity models, I'm getting an 8 Plus and plan on holding onto it for 3-4 years.

10. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

There only real difference is able to film 4k in 60fps. All other differences (TrueTone, CPU, glass back) won't be noticeable for 95% of users.

Definitely a 7s.

11. zone23 macrumors 68000

I'm just so happy Apple didn't forget the middle class with the iPhone 8, Thanks Apple!! Your the BEST!

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

That’s because of 3D Touch. It’s .2mm thicker than 7Plus. That’s nothing.

13. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I just dont buy the "radically redesigned edge-to-edge OLED", the S8 and note 8 just look far smarter/nicer. The problem being a leader is that you are not willing to push the boundaries and take a chance. this is just so Meh and underwhelming as a device even for apple of late.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Here’s the one thing that is driving me insane with the X. The stupid top of the screen. It should not wrap around the speaker/camera. When watching video you have a a section blocked off. The entire top should just be cut straight across. The wrap bugs me. The lack of TouchID wouldn’t be as big of a problem, but the two together is enough for me to say no. (Smaller issues as well).

15. radgar, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

radgar macrumors newbie

radgar

Aside from the weird appearance of the ‘notch’ on some of the examples the iPhone X looks pretty good. Though it’s too big for my jeans’ pocket.

Eager to see FaceID in real life. TouchID works so well for me that I can’t imagine not having it. However for some family members it is very hit and miss despite several retrainings. If FaceID can be as easy to use then fine. Though all that double-pressing and screen gesture stuff seems weird now maybe it’ll become second nature.

Something that stops me going for iPhone 8/8+ or iPhone X for now is the lack of the excellent Jet Black finish. I was so sceptical about it with the iPhone 7. But when I saw it it just looked so neat. And it is so practical. A whole lot grippier in my hands than the matte finishes. Maybe the glass outer of the 8/8+ emulates that grippiness. But that space grey is not as neat as jet black imo.

Any indications of the real advantages of the new chipset in the 8/8+ over the 7/7+?

[edit]
    just rechecked the specs of the phones in Apple's comparison tool. It had completely escaped me that the iPhone X has a bigger screen (albeit with the 'notch') than the iPhone 8 Plus and yet is not much longer (5.3mm) and only a little wider (3.8mm) than the iPhone 7/8. Makes it an easy choice: iPhone X or keep iPhone 7.
    [/edit]

16. JRobinsonJr macrumors regular

I may be wrong, but didn't Apple (I forget who) state that FaceID uses the same API's as TouchID so that the transition will be seamless? If so, there should be zero effort required from developers.

17. mmm1345 macrumors regular

mmm1345

This has to be the weekest iPhone "upgrade," EVER. And the main difference between this and the X? Amoji support? jebebus... This update felt like something they "had" to do just because analyst and customers now expect a "new phone" every year - knowing people will buy any crap iPhone they put out. So they just slapped a glass back on it and called it a day. Hell the main distinguishing feature - wireless charging won't even be available to sometime next year!

The only compelling reason to upgrade my 6s is the storage and slightly improved camera.

18. Greenlee macrumors newbie

Greenlee

I will be getting the X instead of the 8.

19. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Sorry people. Apple named the phones 8, 8s, and X. Get over it.
    I'm buying the X just as soon as possible.
    Enjoy whatever phone you have and get back to living life.
    Peace.

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

No. I think the iPhone Pro should have a dock to your 5K display, wireless keyboard and mouse and can be used as a desktop Mac when you are at home or work. I can see something like that from Apple in under 5 years.

21. TVreporter macrumors member

Apple's price gouging putting the X at more than $1,300 Canadian will keep me away from it. Plus their creative juices appear to be drying up.

I have a 5s and ready for an upgrade - looking at the 8 but may just go to the 7 to save money. Greed is going to be the downfall of Apple (again).

22. CrzyP macrumors regular

If I were in the market for a new phone, I would go for the 8. The X is neat, but I'd wait until the S model drops next year and see what quirks Apple has worked out. My 6s works just fine for now.

23. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

So what you have decided! Are waiting till November or just pre-ordering iPhone 8. I have decided to pick Space Grey iPhone X (64 GB)

24. andsoitgoes macrumors member

I am personally thankful that there wasn’t more to push me to want the X, I had a lot of fear that upgrading my 6 Plus last year to the 7 Plus would have ended up leaving me with serious device envy.

But considering what they’ve released for the X, which is nice, it just doesn’t have enough to justify a mid contract skip, especially considering I’d be fronting almost $900 even if I sold my 7 Plus now.

My main goal was to get onto the “S” cycle, and I knew I would want a higher tier device like an OLED iPhone. My upgrade to the 7 Plus and my clear maturing that is finally happening (only took 40 years) is going to set things up so that next year when they hopefully fix some of the boneheaded things about the X, I can feel confident. Especially considering the 7/7 Plus were basically 6ss/6ss Plus devices, outside of the camera and lack of a physical home button, I don’t see a crazy difference. My kids and wife have 6s models and they’re still crazy fast even on iOS 11, honestly faster than my 7 Plus in some ways... but that could be due to the fact that I have so much crap loaded on my phone it’s embarrassing.

I really need to fix that.

25. Mr. Mad Vibes macrumors member

Mr. Mad Vibes

I was looking foward to Upgrading my 6s Plus with the X. But not digging the screen design and protruding camera at that hefty price. Might just go with an 8plus too or wait another year for the next big thing