iphone 8gb 2g 200 uk pounds unlocked - good deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonjamesm, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jonjamesm macrumors regular

jonjamesm

What do ya think? - I'd never use 3g anyway - everywhere I'd need it to has wifi so I'd be fine.

but yeah about that price - also what should I be looking out for as a newbie in terms of unlocked phones and upgrading -

ANy help and advice much appreciated.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That's a really good price! If you convert it to US, it'd be 300$ (Which is the price of the 3G 16GB). But for 100$ more you can unlock it.I'd take it.

3. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Hmm £200 for a 2g iphone not too bad, i had a 2g for 6 months unlocked when the price dropped to £160 and a mate at O2 got me it for £100 and it was ace, although now i've a 3g i love the data connection constantly on, and no worries on how much i'll be charged to visit a site or check my e-mails!!!

If you are only going to use wi-fi then sure go for it, but you will probably soon after want to go with a 3g! LOL

Enjoy! :apple:

4. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Its a pretty good price, although every since the pay as you go option came out the iphone prices have come down a lot. Know that for "only" £140 more you can get the 3G with free data and wifi hotspots for a year.

5. jonjamesm thread starter macrumors regular

jonjamesm

what do you mean by wifi hotspots? Like - I know what they physically are but how can someone give them to you? If you don't have this does it cost to have data streaming through wifi? that sounds silly to me.

6. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

When you turn up at a place with free wifi (any O2 openzone wi-fi hotspot, so airports, coffee shops... an awful lot of places) and go into safari, it'll open up a webpage with a textbox in it. You put your mobile phone number into that, and away you go. It's that easy.

Your mobile number is associated with free wi-fi hotspot usage, basically.

If you don't have that, then yes, it costs to use most PUBLIC wi-fi hotspots. Not your home ones.
    Typically costs quite a bit, too. In the region of £5 - £10 for 24 hours of unrestricted web use.

The reason it costs is that it's a business; wi-fi attracts customers to, say, a coffee shop, so BT will place a wi-fi hotspot inside, they'll take their profits from that, the coffee shop will gain from that extra cup of coffee you buy, and so it goes.

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

O2 partners with The Cloud. The Cloud runs thousands of pay-per-use hotspots all over the UK. If you've got a contract iPhone tariff (or the Web and WiFi bolt-on), O2 will give you unlimited use of The Cloud's hotspots as part of your plan.

Grok?

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

And it is also free with the PAYG iPhone for the first 12 months.

9. jonjamesm thread starter macrumors regular

jonjamesm

i see i see i see - but If I'm in a place with free wifi then that'll be grand!

no worries - thanks

10. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

It's also linked to your MAC address of the phone. Basically you can't use the same free wi-fi on two phones as they will most likely have different MAC addresses. You have to reset it, definately if your on The Cloud service, not sure about BT openzone.

11. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

macspoof anyone? lol
    You could use someone elses free wifi plan by using their mac address and mobile number surely? I've never used the free wifi with my iPhone even though it is included when i purchased it.

12. TopDog macrumors newbie

If you have a iPhone with a monthly o2 plan but you unlock and use a different sim (like vodafone) can you still use the openzone wifi access for free?

13. Martin Finch macrumors member

Seems like a pretty good deal for sure. But I'd go for the 3G if you can, don't like it when I can't find decent wi-fi on the go. :(