iPhone A6? Makes Sense.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Feb 4, 2012.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

There's a lot of talk of what the new iPhone will be called.

Indeed the next one will most likely be taking advantage of the A6 Processor, and since it's the SIXTH iPhone I think iPhone A6 would make sense.

In my opinion I don't think they'll call it the iPhone 5 since its not really the 5th iPhone, not even the 5th design.

An iPhone with a Quad-Core A6 Processor, iOS 6 and being the 6th generation would make an iPhone A6 seem plausible.

It would also be a curve ball because so many people waited for an iPhone to be called "iPhone 5"

2. maflynn, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically speaking the iPhone 4 is not the fourth generation of the iPhone (3gs) but yet they called it that (iPhone 4)

The iPhone A6 doesn't really seem to roll off your tongue and skipping 5 in the numbering scheme will seemingly cause confusion.

I think it will be called the iPhone 5

3. Almy macrumors 6502

I think the only reason they called the 3G that was so people would instantly be associated with the faster mobile internet speed. I don't think a chip speed model number will have the same easy to understand, for average users, language. I bet they keep it simple and just go to the next number.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Personally I hope they change it too ISteve then maybe IJim I'm bored with numbers. plus speculating who's name they will use next would be more fun.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

iPhone 2g (first generation)
    iphone 3g (second generation)
    iPhone 3gs (third generation)
    iPhone 4 (fourth generation)
    iPhone 4s (fifth generation)
    iPhone ? (sixth generation)

OP, Personally I agree but I sort of doubt that apple will release a quadcore and LTE phone. That would make the battery life horrible IMO.

6. Civicsixxx macrumors member

I am so sick of hearing this argument. The general masses do not know or even care which iteration of the iPhone it is. The last phone was the 4S so logically the next one will be the 5.

More people would be confused with how they went from calling it the 4(s) to 6 than how many iPhones were released previously.

Stop overthinking it... Please!

7. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

So based off that thinking you would also agree they called the 4th iPhone the iPhone 4 because there is a '3' in iPhone 3G/3GS and they just went with the next number?

I think the iPhone 4 was called the 4 because it's the FOURTH phone. They said that during the keynote.

I understand "the masses" wouldn't understand, but idk. Whatever they call it will be interesting that's for sure...

8. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Hmm...

I think that the shrinking of chip size with better performance at less power consumption and the new gorilla glass 2 which is thinner with the same strength as the original will allow for a a lot more battery in the case which would allow LTE to be included with the typical battery life we're currently accustomed to. We shall soon see, though!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My mistake, I thought there was an iPhone then an iPhone 2g.

10. ECUSnare macrumors regular

How would a quad core iPhone NOT be overkill? I understand it's to keep up with everything else, but who can honestly say they need that much power in a phone?

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Nope. The iPhone "2G" is just some people's horribly schemed name for the Original iPhone. Most people associate 2G with EDGE data speeds.

12. aneftp macrumors 601

Exactly. I hate it when people call the first iPhone the "iPhone 2g". Technically it they really wanted to call it. Than they really need to call it the iPhone 2.5G cause it's EDGE and EDGE is technically 2.5G. Calling something "2G" confuses people who may also think its 2nd generation.

Personally I'd prefer if people would just call it the original iPhone or call iPhones by the year they were released. So either call it by its official name (iPhone). Or clarify it by calling it the iPhone 2007 model.

13. cynics macrumors G4

Technically only the 4 uses the generation of the phone so why with only one of five using the actual generation they start basing all the phones off that? Then if you think they started using generations at the 4 then what's up with the 4s? Why start basing all their phones off the actual version then immediately stop?

You could argue the 3GS is based of generation but that would also be saying the 3G was which obviously isn't true.

I think believe two things could happen that's more likely then the next iPhone being called the 6. First they use iPhone 5 just to avoid market place confusion. Or secondly call it the iPhone LTE or iPhone 4g or 4gs or if the screen is bigger iPhone 4.3.

We'll find out eventually.

14. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

15. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

iphone 4g makes most sense if they implement lte

16. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I actually think there's a high possibility that it will be called the A6.

I'm always right.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Multiple cores can actually be more efficient. You can lower the clock speed, thus lowering the power consumption, all while still getting the same or better performance. People get too lost in the ghz, cores #, etc. It is all meaningless anymore when it's not quantified.

18. ewartjohn11 macrumors newbie

Actually the iPhone 4 was the fourth iPhone. There was the iPhone, then iPhone 3G (because now it was running on a 3G network), then iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and finally iPhone 4S

19. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

People've been confused- when they though they were getting an iPhone 5. [​IMG]

Actually, Apple is free reign to name it whatever they want now. Except for 5 and below.

And how does the general public differentiate the old articles from the new ones? They said the iPhone 5 was a placeholder name. But when it came out, they're still waiting for another iPhone 5. Are they going to be waiting for the iPhone 5 forever?

20. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the Iphone Skynet edition, that way whenever you ask Siri a question she replies 'Get Down!'

21. Jare, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

You know, it's quite possible for them to call it the iPhone LTE.

If they include LTE tech, that might be the name. Look at the iPhone 3G, for example.

iPhone (Original Generation)
    iPhone 3g (because of 3g)
    iPhone 3GS (because of 3G + speed)
    iPhone 4 (Next Gen name due to no upgraded radio technology)
    iPhone 4s (because of old name + speed)
    iPhone LTE (because of LTE)

That seems to be the pattern.

My only other guess, they'll go with just "iPhone". People will call it the iPhone 5/6, but it'll be like the iPod in the sense of just "iPhone", with consumers calling it by it's latest gen.

22. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

A6 sounds like a Nokia model number, Apple would never use that name for their new iPhone.

23. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

24. salacious macrumors 6502a

im confident on one thing.... theyl call it an iphone :)

25. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not even sure iPhone 6 will have a quad-core chip. Might just be higher clocked A5.