iPhone Activation at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleBoyFreak, Jan 5, 2012.

1. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

So, my dad and I got into a little "fight" because I was talking about going to the Apple Store at midnight for the iPhone 5. Anyways my question is if I'm available for an upgrade can I just buy an iPhone at the Apple store and have it set up as my upgrade or do I have to go through the carrier for that?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There is no iPhone 5 and why would you gave to go at midnight for any other model?

3. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm talking about when it comes out and because I've never had the true Apple experience. So when it does come out I'm making my dad go with me. Now please help answer my question.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Apple can do the upgrade for you just fine at the store.

5. NYRangers11 macrumors member

Apple store can easily and very quickly do upgrades or new account activation.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

First off, you're probably gonna have a long wait: six months at least, maybe even 10. Certainly not worth arguing about it now.

Second, because it hasn't come out yet, we honestly have no idea how it'll play out. Each iPhone release has seen a slight tweak to the procedure for buying one, but based on past experiences, you can just go the Apple store, and don't need to go through a carrier.

And FWIW: you can walk into an Apple Store anytime and get the Apple "experience." I've bought iPhones at the Apple Store, online, and at the AT&T retail store, and the "experience" ends up being about the same: you hand over a credit card, sometimes you sign a new contract, and in return you get a neat-looking phone in a neat-looking box.

Actually, I kinda didn't like my last experience getting the 4S at an Apple Store so much, because the "Genius" wasn't aware of how iCloud backups worked, and insisted on setting up the phone blank and telling me I had to restore on my Mac at home. I had to meander around the store a little longer while I did a reset and reactivation oft he phone myself, from scratch, and then did the iCloud restore using their WiFi.

iCloud restore was highly impressive. But, it actually would've gone slightly smoother if I had simply ordered online and done it at home.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Conversely, you can get the true Apple launch experience by watching Soylent Green.

soylent-green.jpg