Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
HELP.

I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to put it - this problem seems to encompass all of my devices, including my Macbook.

When I woke up this morning after a VERY bad storm last night, both my iPhone AND my iPad were back to factory settings, as if I'd never used them. I did not do a factory reset on them, and neither did anyone else in the house. On my Macbook, there was an error message saying that another device on the network was trying to use my I.P. address and that I needed to try connecting again later. Another PC laptop in the house was giving a similar error message. When I googled about that, I found an article here: (http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/19/another-device-on-the-network-is-using-your-computers-ip-address/) that states that an iPhone, iPod or iPad is often the culprit when this issue occurs, so I wonder if that has anything to do with my iPhone and iPad being factory reset? I'm just grabbing at possibilities here.

I have semi-recent backups for both my iPhone and iPad, so I should hopefully be able to get things back to how they were for the most part. What scares me more is the idea that my devices can spontaneously factory reset themselves AT ALL. I called my local Apple store and stumped the guy who picked up, who directed me to a Genius bar guy who said he didn't know what was going on and I'd have to bring all 3 devices in. I made an appointment for tomorrow morning, but wanted to see if anyone here could shed some light on what happened. Thanks.

FeePage

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Cambridgeshire, UK.
This is very weird that I've stumbled upon this - the EXACT same thing has happened to me today.

I woke up to find my iPhone back to factory settings, I put it down to the 2 Network issues until I looked at my iPad, which has done the same thing.

I've since restored both devices (both via iCloud + from my Mac) which is fine for all about 10 minutes, then they seem to switch off and turn back on wiped again. This has happened 5 times.

Went into my local Apple store and they have no idea + I'm booked in for an appointment for Sunday.

I wonder if there is an issue with our Apple IDs?

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
That's crazy! And as much as it sucks that this is happening, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one this has happened to. I haven't tried to restore my backups yet, I'm waiting to see what the Genius guys say when I bring my devices into the store. I think it's probably likely though that they would keep wiping like yours did if I tried. I'll update this thread after I get back from my appointment tomorrow. Hopefully others who are having this issue will see this thread too. If it happened to two of us, I'm sure there are probably more.

FeePage

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Cambridgeshire, UK.
I can't find any more information on this anywhere, very odd situation.

It's very frustrating, but please let me know how tomorrow goes?

Sunday is a long time for this to keep happening to me! Lol.

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Hi, I'm updating this thread after my appointment @ the Apple Store. They couldn't tell me for sure what happened because running diagnostics on a wiped device is useless. But they had a pretty good guess. They said that my iPad and iPhone were probably running a software update that night of the bad storm, and during the update my WiFi went out. They said that iOS is very vulnerable during an update, and if it's interrupted, the whole thing may just spaz out and start over fresh. This scenario checks out because I had a software update alert on my Macbook too, so maybe those were all supposed to go through at the same time.

They did say that they'd never seen it happen to more than one device at once, though! Just a stroke of bad luck.

Aside from that information (which I did find useful), all they really did was help me restore my backups. So far, so good; my devices haven't turned off and turned back on wiped. Here's to hoping they behave, and I'm going to do more frequent backups here on out.

Blondiepop

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
This happened to me last night, but in a slightly different capacity. About 2 AM I was playing candy crush on my iPad 2, (I have the loveliest insomnia sometimes..) and as soon as i swiped, the app crashed or so I thought. I'm used to my apps crashing, my system is slightly dated, and it's just a minor inconvenience that I have to deal with. But the Apple popped up, as if it had rebooted. I brushed this off as it happens sometimes also, but when the system started back up it told me it required activation, and that my iPad was not set up. "Please connect to a wifi network to begin setup". I was back to the beginning. I can't recover anything until the end of the week until I get back, since I have no wifi and my home computer is what my backup is on. This was confusing because, while there was a storm, my iPhone (5) is fine, and this iPad was not connected to any sort of wifi, and hasn't been for quite a while, so therefore was not updating. I've heard of this happening recently to people I know and am coming to the conclusion that it may just be the games. This happened to a friend while playing a puzzle game. My situation is seemingly resolved, since I can restore my device, but I thought I might share this in case someone has a similar situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.