iPhone and iPod Touch redundant? Opinions wanted!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Invincibilizer, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

I am in the position to get a new phone to replace the current Nokia phone that I have. iPhone4 is obviously a great option to go with but I already have an iPod Touch 4th gen. The way I look at it is that I already have the experience with iOS and I can access the app store through my iPod touch. I am leaning towards an android phone such as the Nexus S with ICS to experience an all new OS. However it would also be wise to keep up with the continuity as other people I know have iPhones mostly. What stops me is that both iPhone and iPod is basically the same, interface and everything which would render my iPod touch useless.

I am split whether to pair an iPhone4 with an iPod touch or go with an android phone with an iPod touch.

Anyone else have been or is currently in this scenario and is willing to share their thoughts on this?thoughts on what I should go with?

2. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Had an iPod Touch before I got my iPhone, the Touch is now useless. It's sad, but you've got to let it go...:D

3. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Pretty simple, do you really want to use ICS? If so, get an Android phone. If not get the iphone and find another need for your ipod touch (i.e. for the car, dock it in in the living room/bedroom, sell it, etc.) I've had an ipod touch with my iphone and I never used it so I sold it. For me, I love iOS and there was a need to use it for various things without wifi in addition to the phone aspect, so my touch was useless to me.

4. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

The iPod is such a sleek and memorable device I can't bare parting with it even if its camera is sub par and there is no ips display.

Appreciate the comments so far, keep them coming

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If I had a touch I would likely use it while at the gym over my phone. Otherwise, I can;t personally think of a reason to ever carry both on me.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If you go android or iPhone you will find your iPod to become rather redundant. I hardly use my iPod touch any more once I got my Atrix because while the music player on the iPod is better it is just not enough better for me to carry around both devices. Plus I have things like Google Music that allow me access to my entire library.

7. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

It may be Nokia's music interface but I listen to most of my music through my iPod. I have read that Android's music player interface is subpar so my iPod will still be my go to music device. I have been carrying both a dumbphone and an iPod for 6 months now, not too much of hassle so I don't think I will change in that aspect.

8. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Sell your Touch and use the money to pay in part for the 4S. I use my iPhone all the time at the gym and it's perfect. Unless you have your heart set on using ICS, I can't imagine why you wouldn't go iPhone for all your needs.

9. motoleo, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

There one thing the iPod touch has on the iPhone is this:

It is a better iPod

It's thinner than life form factor and placement of the headphone jack makes it unbeatable as a music player.

Once you have the iPhone, you don't need the iPod touch.

10. thefreeagent, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

thefreeagent macrumors member

I have both...

...and, lo and behold, I still use both. That being said, the iPod touch has become my car/home music player almost exclusively, while my iPhone is the portable music/everything else pocket device. I used to carry a dumb phone and the iPod with me everywhere too, but I can't go back to that now. Or, won't.

At any rate, I use the iPod as a music device in my truck and at home because I really don't like my beats getting tuned out every time I get a call, for instance. This is, of course being decadent in that I don't need a dedicated music device for this reason, but it has found a use in that way. Also, as far as jamming out to my iPhone while commuting by train, bus, bike, walking, etc., I can't tell you how much I appreciate having an all in one device, it's freakin' awesome!

In short, whether or not you keep the iPod touch, do yourself a favor and get the iPhone because its value as the best media player-smartphone is sometimes overlooked, IMO.

11. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I got the 4S a weeks ago and now my iPod Touch is pretty much obsolete. I thought I would use it exclusively at the gym since I liked the thinness and placement of the headphone jack (also I'm afraid of dropping a weight on an iPhone or knocking it off the elliptical).

Instead, I ended up selling it off. I found it simpler to carry just one device around. At the gym, I found that I really liked using Pandora or watching Netflix stuff during those long cardio sessions. I couldn't do that before since my gym doesn't have WiFi (if there's a gym that does use WiFi, let me know!). My iPhone is waaay faster than my iPod Touch when it comes to navigating the menus, playing games, etc. Plus, it's a phone (duh). As for accidents, I invested in Apple Care + anyway.

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yes it is a redundant solution. Having an iPod Touch along with iPhone is just like having two sport bikes, one is 600CC and one is 1000CC. Why ride 600CC if you already have 1000CC bike.

iPod Touch, by any means is no slouch, it's still a great device despite it's having half the RAM or LCD and build quality just not as good as iPhone today.

So yes, if you already have an iPhone, it'd become redundant, and pointless. iPod Touch is supposed to be owned by people who are not willing to buy/can't afford yet an iPhone but still want a semblance of iOS.

If you still want to keep your iPod Touch, you should go with Android or WP7 smartphone, that way your iPod can still keep its uniqueness, it's an iOS device while your phone is not. Like you can keep your 600CC sport bike and get another 1000CC Harley, completely different riding experience.

If you insist on having an iPhone, sell your iPod Touch! like I did, if you're really can't live without an iPod, go get iPod nano or iPod classic to accompany your iPhone. Completely different function so it won't overlap.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would carry 2 devices when I had a blackberry. The blackberry music player was just good enough to use in a pinch but I would always go to the iPod if I had a choice.

Android I would say get Double twist which will handle the music syncing and it tends to work good enough that you will find close enough to work for you. Yes the iPod is better but the iPod will lack things like pandora or access to Google Music hence the reason I do not carry them both.

The gap just is not to the point where you will find yourself wanting to carry both.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't find it bad at all. You can also download different players. I find winamp to be fantastic. iOS has the buttery smooth cover flow. I find that to be a cool party trick, but not something I use... ever. For the most part, music on iOS is just a list format. It's basically the same on Android.

----------

If you are within wifi range you should be able to use both on the iPod too.

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Most modern smartphone will render your iPod touch almost worthless. If you still want your touch to be a predominant gadget in your life, you should get either a feature phone or a blackberry.

16. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Good comparison, won't get nano or classic though, looks like having two different OS would be the better option but it may come back down to specs. iPhone4 camera is excellent and its build quality is better than a nexus s.
    Does anyone know if its contour display is a gimmick?

How is the placement of the headphone jack better on iPod?

I never realized that a headphone jack on bottom is good. Does the jack on the bottom allow for easier access or what?

I actually don't use the coverflow feature often, I'm just used to the iPod music interface I guess which is why its hard pressed for me to adapt to something else.

17. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone and an iPod Touch. The Touch just sits inside my car.. For music. That's all it's used for..

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So are you saying this having used Android's options? If so, that is fine, and for you, what matters is what is best for you. All I am saying is that I find the music interfaces to be extremely similar. Again, they are just simple lists on the iPod too, after all. The only thing that is very different is syncing, though I prefer it. I don't sync 300,000 songs, so drag and drop is preferable for me. Simply put, if you are making this decision without having tried it, I recommend giving it a run for its money before casting android aside as a music player.

19. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Wow

Literally Wow

The phone shop I went to had no Nexus S and they introduced me new phones. I declined the iPhone4 and 4s since I had an iPod and then they showed me the Galaxy S2. I was blown away, the screen is a bit too big but I guess I can get used to it. It seems to be upgradable to 4.0 ICS.

Basically an iPhone4s in terms of camera, processor but it runs Android OS.
    It seems like I've found the perfect complement to my iPod touch. Only worry is that it is 480x800 which will be odd looking at iPod touch's 300+ppi....

20. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

On the iPod touch, the headphone jack is on the bottom, so it just flows naturally. On the iPhone it's on top and wobbles around. It all has to do with keeping the cord from flailing around, your can easily slip the iPod touch into your pocket.

It would be power button facing the floor, glass screen facing your thigh. You can reach in your pocket, and go right back to your music. On the iPhone, it takes a little more work.

21. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

That is foolish. It's a device. You will be replacing it with a better device if you get an iPhone.

22. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Not sure why someone would vote you down just to prefer SGS II over iPhone. Silly fanboys just can't handle it. Well congratulation if you find your weapon of choice already.

That way you don't have to sell your iPod in case you miss some iOS flavor.
    But just out of curiousity, why not wait another few months for SGS III, it could be great, and will have ICS out of the box. Just sayin'

23. gmikesell macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you have a family, I suggest having both for the obvious reason of sharing issues with the iPhone. We stream Pandora regularly through our receiver. Doing it on the itouch saves battery on my iPhone. Otherwise, I can't imagine much reason to have both.

24. DroidRules, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

It's an electronic device and doesn't warrant that kind of dedication. You'll always be able to get another.... It's not like in the book of Eli or something. Get rid of it and it will still be "sleek and memorable" (what ever that means) it will just be so in someone elses hands.

Sorry but when I see someone say something like you just did It makes me wonder what else is going on in your life that an iPod holds such great meaning. Look deeper into life..... It's an iPod.

ALSO why even come ask for advice if you have already made up your mind?
    If you can't bare parting with it then you know what you're going to do. Pick a phone and get on with life.

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Use iPod like Apple TV, hooked up to a TV (via Dock)- or-
    connect to stereo system to play music.
    Skype phone
    IM for Yahoo and/or AIM
    Music play for Pandora

This is a big one:
    Find my iPhone! can use that one to find other, vice versa.

Use imagination!