Resolved iPhone and iTunes music question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leoneedees, Aug 30, 2013.

1. leoneedees, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

leoneedees macrumors member

Hello all, I recently got my iPhone 5 replaced for a faulty sleep/wake button. I have successfully restored my data on my iPhone. But I have realized that my music isn't included. When I click on "Manually manage music and videos" on my iPhone it asks if I want to sync and erase this iPhone.

My question is does this erase everything (contacts, apps, etc) or just the music and videos? I do not have any music/videos on my phone right now and can't manually add anything either. I have also recently reinstalled windows so I do not have access to the old iTunes program. Any help on clearing up exactly what the sync/erase does will be greatly appreciated.

2. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I'm assuming you are referring to syncing your phone with iTunes. Yes, syncing your music/videos with iTunes will delete any existing music/videos on your phone, which in your case nothing is being deleted. It should not affect your contacts or apps.

3. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

No it's just your media (videos & music), anything within iTunes. Each phone can only have one iTunes library. Since you reinstalled the computer OS it will have to wipe all iTunes data from your phone (videos & music) and replace if with what is on iTunes on your current computer setup because this is a "new" computer. It will not delete contacts or apps or anything like that. You have iCloud on anyway, right?

4. leoneedees thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for your answers. I believe this clears up that syncing will only erase video/music (which is currently nothing). I do not use iCloud but I do have a backup on the new computer so I should be alright if anything does go wrong. Thank you again for your answers on clearing this up.

5. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

You know you don't have to use it for backup files, right? Seems almost silly to not at least turn on iCloud for contacts at the very least. :apple: