iPhone and LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macnificant, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I keep hearing people say they use huge data on LTE.

Why is this?

More web views equals more data usage?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

No, just because something is faster doesn't mean it uses more. You're still loading the same amount of data.

Because LTE loads faster, it encourages more usage from the user, thus consuming more data. However if you use your iPhone like before, it shouldn't consume more data.

4. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Possibly a stupid question, but I currently have att. Does getting LTE require a different plan? or will I be able to use LTE with same plan data (unlimited) I have now?

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Yeah... which is why he said faster consumption rate. Because the data is faster, you can use more of it in the same amount of time.

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

The only way it may automatically consume more data is when it comes to streaming videos. This is because usually when an application like Netflix detects that your speeds are pretty fast it will use a higher resolution.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

You'll need to call AT&T if you are upgrading from a non-LTE phone (like the current iPhone) and have them change the plan, but the price will be exactly the same. And if you have an unlimited plan with AT&T, you can keep it for now.

8. tyrell456 macrumors member

You'll have to swap to a tiered data plan. AT&T is really sneaky about how they're forcing you away from unlimited. 3G Data Plans and 4G Data Plans are separate, so you will have to swap to a separate 4G data plan to use LTE, forcing you into a tiered plan.

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

That is 100% false info he will be able to keep unlimited 4G LTE data

10. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Don't think this is true at all. I called them and they said they just switch it over to a 4G unlimited plan. They are sneaky but not that sneaky!

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Completely incorrect.

You can keep your unlimited. Current unlimited 3G customers can switch the the Unlimited 4G plan for free.

http://gizmodo.com/5942731/att-iphone-5-will-keep-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plans-verizon-says-no

12. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Another small part of that data usage is the yet-to-be-loaded content:

On your 3G connection, the page content might not fully load before you click the link you are looking for. This situation is repeated several times in a browsing session for me, so there is a lot of data that my 3G connection never loads.

Once I have the faster speed of LTE the entire page will load more often, resulting in more data being downloaded.

This small amount might not seem like a big deal at first, but for me it will surely add up to a few hundred MB every month. My current usage is about 3.5-4.5 GB per month, so a 10% increase pushes me up by 350-450 MB.