iPhone and Mayan calendar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emir, Sep 23, 2012.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hi everyone, this may be a stupid thread, but since this is a discussion forum i just wanted to share this with you guys/gals. If it's not ok to start this thread here please warn me. English is not my native language so i hope i can describe what i want to say in this long post. Please bare with me.

We all know that the Mayan calendar ends at 2012 right? This end is perceived as the end of the world, we all know that too. (not that i believe at it)

I've heard somewhere that mayan calendar is in the form of a pyramid, and that pyramid has levels and every level represents a time range and obviously since lower levels are wider, their time range is higher. (so for example lowest level is 10 million years B.C. to 4 million years B.C. and the highest and narrowest level is 2000-2012) And it's said that the higher the level is in the pyramid, technological advances of humanity are faster between that ages. So when you think of it, humanity didn't advance that much between millions of years ago to let's say the year 1000 or something but in the last couple hundred years, we come from no electricity to cars and cell phones etc... Let alone the last couple hundred years, in the last 20 years we've come from huge corded phones to cell phones that can do everything and work everywhere and that are widely available everywhere. When you think of it, the pyramid is right. So when that pyramid ends in 2012, it's said that technological advancements will become A LOT slower. Do you agree with that? iPhones' advancements has obviously became slower, that's why everyone is complaining so much about iPhone 5.

Well, forget about the mayan calendar. Every major revolution is made upon something huge and big. Electricity was a big thing, we've made millions of inventions on it, petrol engines was a big thing, computing, processing data was a huge thing and lastly, internet and mobility was a huge thing. iPhone was founded upon internet and mobility. I personally think we shouldn't expect that much of a revolutions from new iPhones (or all Apple devices, or technological devices) but evolutions, small steps of evolutions. Not because the mayan calendar says so but because we need the next huge thing.

Even with the first iPhone there was a lot that could be added, we were saying if we could process faster, if we had faster internet, we could multitask, game, program, video chat etc... Now we have all of it. I honestly don't know where it can go. I don't want to sound like Charles Holland Duell who said in 1899: "Everything that can be invented, has been invented." (and he was the commissioner of the United States Patent and Trademark office) I personally don't say oh i wish the internet/processor was faster so i could do this.

Well, most definitely i am being stupid and vastly visionless, we'll see huge revolutions for the years to come, but i just wanted to share this with you people. Hope you've read it.

TL;DR

-Where does iPhones, phones go from here?
    -What will be the next big thing technology can advance on to change people's lives?
    -Where do we go from here?

2. iHawaii macrumors member

Your English is better than mine.

Oh, and the Mayans were holding the calendar upside down. The end of time isn't actually until 5105. This will be proven in a couple months.

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

4. jayp6969 macrumors newbie

the mayan calendar doesn't include leap years......the end of the world shoulda happened 40 years ago.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm just going to throw this out here.

Technically the Mayan calendar does not end, the period of the calendar comes to an end. There are three different calendars, one has a 400 year cycle. That is what is occurring in December 2012. A 400 year cycle is coming to an end and a new one will begin. This has happened 12 times already and the world has not ended, the 13th Baktun will begin near the end of December 2012.

Now back to the point of your thread.

I believe that technology has been slowing for quite sometime now. Things of course will get faster, thinner and lighter, but in the innovation and invention aspect it's slowing down quickly.

In all honesty I think the next big achievement will be in robotics. I've always pictured a world similar to I,Robot.

On a side note, I would give the ancients more credit. They were able to do a lot more with a lot less back then. The iceman, over 5000 years ago was able to make a copper axe in the woods. His axe was near perfect, we couldn't even make as strong of an axe nowadays in a factory and that man did it by hand! It's quite impressive what they accomplished. Yes they didn't figure out "technology toys" like phones and computers, but they figured out what was required to live.

6. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

It's actually the complete opposite, our technological progression increases in speed exponentially.

Also a modern cyro treated carbon steel axe would cut a copper axe in two. We can also make hundreds of these superior axes incredibly quickly and efficiently .

Sorry, bit off topic from the op but just cant let stuff like that go.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yes we make more superior axes than a copper, but my point was that a copper axe built 5000 years ago was more durable than a copper axe built today.

When it comes to creating new technology I feel we have decreased in speed, but fixing old technology and making it more efficient and better is speeding up. But hey it's my opinion.

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It doesn't have to include leap years because they counted months by the lunar cycle which would incorporate leap years.

Also, the mayans were wiped out, the calendar probably stopped because there was no one left to continue it.

Regarding technological advancement, there will always be something new. I'm sure 10 years ago people didn't think something like the iphone was practical but now it's common. So I'm sure in the "future" we'll have something that we can't really imagine having right now.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Well thats fair enough, obviously I dispute your opinion but you are entitled to it.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The Mayans were most certainly not wiped out. There are over 7,000,000 today in Belieze, Guatemala and Mexico.

Also, the months were not counted by the lunar cycle. There are 3 calendars. A 260 day ritual calendar which is divided by 13 months with 20 days each. The 365 calendar which is 18 months, 20 days each with 5 days added to the end which are the "unlucky days". And finally the long count which counts the days since the creation of the world ( their creation myth). Mayan is base 20 counting, so everything went by 20s. That is why their months are 20 days.

11. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Your post was very insightful. It did catch my attention and I love discussions such as this. I had no idea that pyramids were based on time - from the widest platform to the narrowest tip. Interesting to say the least.

I'm just waiting for a movie such as what you just conveyed in your post to be written and release and incorporate with it the marvels of the universe and extraterrestrial.

I do, agree, technology has slowed down.

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yep, Like I said before. December 2012 is just the end of a cycle which will begin again on December 22nd.

I would love to know who actually started the rumor the calendar is ending. Must have been pretty bored when that came to mind.

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Maybe you're right, I haven't really done much research into this. Regardless, it doesn't matter - nothing will happen in December and technology will keep moving forward.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Agreed.

And for the record I've taken 3 ancient maya classes over the last couple years because it fascinates me. So that's where the information I'm giving is coming from. Lots of interesting stuff I've learned.

17. Raggsokk macrumors member

Well, the iPhone 5 is still not as advanced technically or functional-wise as existing competitors. So there's that.

If you're interested, i suggest that you read a little about Moore's law.

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It's not a rumor, it is based on the 5,125 year cycle called the "Great Cycle" lasting from August 11, 3114BC until December 21, 2012 at which time the 5 digit calendar system resets like an odometer crossing 1 million from 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0. December 22, 2012 will be 13.0.0.0.1, and so on. Where the rumors come in is over what happens to our lives on that day when the calendar completes the cycle, not that the cycle will be completed on that day.

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

What I meant to say was the rumor that the 13th Baktun would bring the end of the world. I understand the long count completely, what I don't understand is why the 13th Baktun was rumored to end the world while 1-12 didn't.

Read your edit: I still just find it fascinating that people didn't know what was going to happen so they assumed that the world would come to an end. It's like Y2K all over again

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Actually, it has more to do with astronomy than anything else. The Earth completes a precessional cycle once approximately every 25,600 years, with the fifth and final fraction of that long cycle taking place between 3114 BC and December 21, 2012, during which time the last phase of the Earth's wobble rotating around its own axis is complete. The reason why the fifth phase of this 26 and a half thousand year cycle is so important is because of the unprecedented development of the human race and civilization which didn't pick up momentum until around that time 3,000BC.
    Watch this video on precession:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOPznRRiWOg

and keep in mind that the 13.0.0.0.0 phase marks the completion of the rotation of the 12 major constellations around Earth from our perspective with the 13th constellation "Ophiuchus" marking the starting point.

21. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I think it was simply because there were no more after the 13th, so people just assumed that's when time would end.

22. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

Can I have all of your guys iPhone if the world ends?

23. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Isn't it also true that the galactic alignment taking place only occurs once every 640,000 years. I know one tales place every 26000+ years but a full alignment of the stars with the center of the galaxy occurs every 640,000 years. Last time that occurred, Yellowstone Erupted. Could also add to the explanation of the rumor.

24. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

The world is not going to end, it's just going to be the end of a cycle. When I was in Tulum, Mexico there was a local Mayan who sure made it a point to laugh on that silly thought. I guess certain people will believe anything, and everything they hear.

25. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

You are the first one on MacRumors to scare me..